Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...tric-vehicles/

Roadside assistance trucks of the future will have to carry 20 kw generators and super chargers I guess…or long extension cords
And tie up a truck for hours while chargeing? Unlikely. In hours they could tow a bunch of cars away. Cars go to charging station, wherever that may be, and occupents "hang out" for hours either waiting for the battery to charge or perhaps days for a charger to become available. All of this ofcourse predicated on the electric grid staying intact during an emergency.

That Virginia storm while not common the results are not uncommen. I recall a similar scenario back in the late 1990's IIRC of a bad ice storm that hit the coast of VA and stranded thousands along I64 around Williamsburg. It happens during major hurricane evacuations, wildfire evacuations, earthquakes, etc. While everyone should be prepared to travel during these conditions you have no way of taking extra fuel for an EV. With modern gas cars an 8 or 9 lb. Can of gas (a gallon) will typically get you to the next gas station minutes after using it. One single fuel truck can refuel hundreds of cars on the side of the road. Sorry but EV's just aren't "ready for prime time" yet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And tie up a truck for hours while chargeing? Unlikely. In hours they could tow a bunch of cars away. Cars go to charging station, wherever that may be, and occupents "hang out" for hours either waiting for the battery to charge or perhaps days for a charger to become available. All of this ofcourse predicated on the electric grid staying intact during an emergency.

That Virginia storm while not common the results are not uncommen. I recall a similar scenario back in the late 1990's IIRC of a bad ice storm that hit the coast of VA and stranded thousands along I64 around Williamsburg. It happens during major hurricane evacuations, wildfire evacuations, earthquakes, etc. While everyone should be prepared to travel during these conditions you have no way of taking extra fuel for an EV. With modern gas cars an 8 or 9 lb. Can of gas (a gallon) will typically get you to the next gas station minutes after using it. One single fuel truck can refuel hundreds of cars on the side of the road. Sorry but EV's just aren't "ready for prime time" yet.
I wouldn’t mind having an older electric car to putt around in in my neighborhood…if the price was right and had a few years of battery left in it ..but I’m definitely not on the whole electric vehicle bandwagon…the government might eventually decide who gets to drive what day and if it’s “necessary” ..that’s how they will handle the lack of infrastructure …similar to the odd and even gas days in the early 70s… “temporarily” off course lol
Old 01-08-2022, 12:39 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I wouldn’t mind having an older electric car to putt around in in my neighborhood…if the price was right and had a few years of battery left in it ..but I’m definitely not on the whole electric vehicle bandwagon…the government might eventually decide who gets to drive what day and if it’s “necessary” ..that’s how they will handle the lack of infrastructure …similar to the odd and even gas days in the early 70s… “temporarily” off course lol
I agree they have a place just like the "smart car". If someone lives and works in an urban area and you have a place to charge it then yes. Or, in a suburban setting where you use it for errands it works. Hoever; as an across the board REPLACEMENT? Nope, not even close yet.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

Badbart wrote:" Not going into the lack of infrastructure, charging stations and so many other issues, but personally they will have to drag me kicking and screaming from my diesel truck!"

You are old enough I do not think that's going to happen. I think that the near and over 70's folks are not going to see the end of dead dinosaur power while we are alive. Sure, there has been a lot of noise though, about all the new electric trucks. Motor Trend even gave Rivian its "Truck of the Year" award. Really?? Thing is you cannot truly buy one yet. Oh you can give them money alright, you just cannot get an actual truck. There is still no hard date when those who have paid for one will be able to put their hands on their purchase and drive it home. And that's Motor trends "Truck of the Year"?? Just speculation and talk and a lot of noise. Until I see actual trucks, you can actually buy, I am treating it all as Popular Science/ Popular Mechanics articles of "the future".

That said:
Do I think it is coming, yes I do. In any meaningful way during my lifetime? Don't think so, BUT that was sure an interesting article Chuckster linked to. Thor is taking electric trucks seriously.
Oak that's MOTOR TREND! They don't know a motor from a battery from a truck so it's not surprising they gave their "Truck of the Year" award () to a non existent truck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:54 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Just look thru MT's magazine ads. Whatever brand that's most prevalent seems to end up "car of the year". I don't put any creedence at all in that organization. JMHO
Old 01-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #26
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Oak that's MOTOR TREND! They don't know a motor from a battery from a truck so it's not surprising they gave their "Truck of the Year" award () to a non existent truck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Wasn't it Motor Trend that pushed the automobile industry to get onboard with the SAE towing standards??? How'd that work out to simplify understanding of towing limitations and get overloaded half ton trucks off the highway ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:32 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Because of this thread, I am seeing ads for a Frisker. This is some sort of electro-mobile I guess. I popped on the ad (probably regret it) and scrolled down and they have a bit television screen between driver and passenger and the roof is a solar panel. Doesn't appear they are selling these yet but they run $40-70K (ouch). Claim 350 mile range.

https://www.fiskerinc.com
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #29
Badbart56

Meanwhile, in the REAL world.....

https://www.facebook.com/CarProShow/...1357810229714/

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post

And that is a TINY part of "real life" when it comes to the irrational push to eliminate the only energy sources this world actually knows....that work.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #31
Laredo Tugger

And here you have it.
Is the whole EV thing worth it?

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/charging-electric-vehicle-public-can-cost-triple-what-fueling-gas-guzzler-does
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:46 PM   #32
notanlines

Laredo, I read most of the article, until it became repetitious. The headline is 'click-bait' at its worst. I agree with your premise concerning the EV's, but comparing fuel prices to charge/top off the last 35 miles of battery life is ludicrous. That same $10.00 for 35 miles would have done 200 miles on a depleted battery.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #33
Laredo Tugger

Well Jim I think we can agree that the EV market has a long way to go before it becomes viable. Right now they do not have the range of gas/diesel vehicles and "efficient refueling " is not readily available.
Battery technology and investment into charging stations may change this, but for now petrol wins.
If the EV revolution takes off you can be guaranteed there will be power rationing to all service areas across the country. They struggle to keep the lights on now, add all these "vehicles " to the demand and you have a whole new problem. That's how I see it, could be wrong?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:25 PM   #34
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When traveling, pull into a "fuel station/battery station" and while you're using the bathroom, the attendent swaps out your battery, presumably by pushing the two tabs, pulling the battery and then pushing a fully recharged battery into the slot... Job done in about 30 seconds
The guy is built like Lou Ferrigno, and there are only two guys that size in town. (We're not talking D-cells here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Motor Trend even gave Rivian its "Truck of the Year" award. Really?? Thing is you cannot truly buy one yet.
Think of it as a Nobel Peace Prize, or maybe a Pulitzer for political disinformation.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The guy is built like Lou Ferrigno, and there are only two guys that size in town. (We're not talking D-cells here!)

Think of it as a Nobel Peace Prize, or maybe a Pulitzer for political disinformation.
Well, here in "this part of the world" we have forklifts, pallet jacks and all sorts of "devices to help lift heavy objects".... No need to find one of those two "freaks of nature" and pay them an outrageous salary when any "mere mortal" can operate a pallet jack that's been modified to lift a heavy battery.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #36
Ske120

Battery Life

I live in Northwestern Ontario Canada and there have been many road closures due to accidents. People have been stuck in lineups waiting for hours and hours in the freezing cold. I don’t think the batteries for running these vehicles are going to last to keep passengers warm. I’m sure they have not designed these vehicles with these conditions in mind.
Ske120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:47 AM   #37
notanlines

Since Jasin is backing off a little from his infamous videos, I'll step up and post this video about pallet jacks and elevators.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/...eb2x&context=3
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #38
DAMILLER_SR

Oh well

I guess I will be the true snowflake of this group and as far as I can tell the only descending opinion. I think the technology is early, but I believe that Ev is not only the future but the near future. Almost everything I read sounds like the same things they were saying when people suggested replacing the horses with cars.
There's no infrastructure, I can take my horse all the way across the country, where they'going to get gas in the middle of Kansas, cars are unreliable, so on and so forth along the same lines.
When it's going to happen I'm not sure, that it's going to happen, of that I I am certain. As for running out of electric power in the middle of nowhere, I'm sure we will come up with the same answers for people to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere.
Let the hatred begin 😀
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #39
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
I guess I will be the true snowflake of this group and as far as I can tell the only descending opinion. I think the technology is early, but I believe that Ev is not only the future but the near future. Almost everything I read sounds like the same things they were saying when people suggested replacing the horses with cars.
There's no infrastructure, I can take my horse all the way across the country, where they'going to get gas in the middle of Kansas, cars are unreliable, so on and so forth along the same lines.
When it's going to happen I'm not sure, that it's going to happen, of that I I am certain. As for running out of electric power in the middle of nowhere, I'm sure we will come up with the same answers for people to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere.
Let the hatred begin ��
I agree with you. Railroads have been running hybrids since the mid-fifties.

In 1902, people thought man would never fly. Then the Wright Brothers had a 12 second flight. Last week, I operated a 777 from the US, non-stop to Singapore. Twenty hours and thirty minute flight.

Do I want an EV right now? Nope, just like I wouldn't want a Wright Flyer to go from point A to point B. I would take that 777 if someone wants to buy it for me though.

People hate change.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
Let the hatred begin 😀

Let the hatred begin?? …geeesh….little harsh isn’t it?

Differing opinions don’t always come from something as bad as hatred…I reserve hate for the liver that my MIL prepares for herself on occasion and my worst enemies ( although I try and let it go as hate only harms the person harboring it…not their enemy)…at least that’s been my experience