Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
Winnie2020

Titan OEM replacement tank - need comments from those who have one.

I recently purchased a Chevy 2500 HD diesel short bed and now have a little over 1K miles. I'm quickly realizing 36 gallons won't be enough for my comfort while towing.

I'm 99% sold on a Titan 56 gallon OEM replacement. I've plowed through a number of posts and understand the debate about cost per gallon and taking the aux tank with you to a new truck. However, with a short bed, I want the space and will likely run a gen 4 bakflip cover. (I have a different thread I'd like to start about the wisdom of running an aux tank full time under a cover with respect to venting fumes.)

My questions for those who've done the Titan switch out before: What are the installation issues the installer should be watching out for and what problems has anyone had with a Titan install that could have been avoided.

The shop I'd likely use has been around for ever, is well established and claims to have installed these many times. I'd like some talking points to quiz them over to make sure I get a good vibe about letting them do this install.
Winnie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Javi

If you are looking for an replacement tank or an auxiliary to pay for itself... forget it.

My situation is different than yours but I couldn't justify the Titian, no matter how much I wanted to.. I went with a 63 gallon RDS in the bed.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnie2020

Agreed...not worried about the cost per se'. Keeping the bed open for now was/is priority.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:50 AM   #4
gearhead

Back in the 1980's I replaced a 35 gallon tank on our new Class C with a 55 gallon. Unknown brand. Only issue I had was the O ring on the tank access "window". The window had tabs that I had to beat on with a hammer to unscrew the window. I damaged the O ring in the process. I sent someone to the Ford dealer for a replacement.
I would buy a new O ring before I started.
I used 2 floor jacks and some lumber and did it by myself in 1 day.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
SD Kitty

I went to the Dealer to replace my existing 27 gallon tank with a 60 gallon Titan. I had purchased an extended warranty with my truck and did not want to jeopardize it… I think the cost was turnkey $2200.
This is the best thing I have done so far. I used to think all the time when do I need to get fuel…. Now it’s never a worry
Oh yea, fill up us a bit expensive and sometimes I need to put my plastic in twice as I hit the dollar limit.
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
notanlines

Winnie, remember when Grandpa said "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten?" This will be the case. No,I don't have a Titan, it wasn't big enough, but I do have the same tank as Javi, and the 95total gallons is just plain handy. And No, not really any money to be saved, just gives you piece of mind traveling.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:02 AM   #7
Winnie2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Kitty View Post
I went to the Dealer to replace my existing 27 gallon tank with a 60 gallon Titan. I had purchased an extended warranty with my truck and did not want to jeopardize it… I think the cost was turnkey $2200.
This is the best thing I have done so far. I used to think all the time when do I need to get fuel…. Now it’s never a worry
Oh yea, fill up us a bit expensive and sometimes I need to put my plastic in twice as I hit the dollar limit.

I ended up calling Titan a second time and speaking with their tech guy. I asked him what was the most likely thing that go wrong with the install. The answer basically boiled down to Titan has very specific instructions on how the OEM vent line needs to be run in addition to the second vent line that Titan adds to their GM 56 gallon tanks. The instructions that Titan sent with the tank are pretty clear.

The only warnings Titan will give you are:

1) There is no current re-programming solution for the miles to empty display. I'm not terribly worried about that feature while remembering when trucks were considered posh if they had power windows and an FM radio.

2) Titan also has a bulletin regarding the fuel sending unit. In some instances, it takes several fill ups for the sending unit to start responding accurately (the bulletin explains this process). My first call to Titan before I ever committed to buy the tank brought this issue up. The first Titan guy that helped me said the sending unit would read the same in the larger tank because full was "full", 3/4 was "3/4" an so on.

I give Titan 5 stars for customer service. On the second call, the rep actually went and pulled their tech guy off a job to visit with me.

I got my truck back last Friday and the shop that did it was very patient with my questions and I felt like they understood how to handle the install. After I filled up, I brought the truck back and they took one last look under the truck for any leaks and then we were done.

My goal here was peace of mind and having another 20 +/- gallons is certainly going to help.

Tags
tank