Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
larkar

Underbelly layout for 2017 Bullet Premier M26RBPR?

We purchased a used 2017 Bullet Premier M26RBPR and thought we had done a really good job checking it out since we have had multiple campers through the year. There are a few issues that we were ok with considering the overall condition of the camper, but once we brought it home and were cleaning it, we found a soft spot in the floor plus there is a sewer smell from outside the camper. When we looked at the camper before buying, it wasn't very strong and we thought it was because the camper was near the septic tank in the guy's yard.

The soft spot is about 10" in diameter by the sofa near the TV console/cabinet area in front of the slide.

The sewer smell is prominent from outside but not inside unless the windows are open. When we filled and flushed the tanks, there was no leaking from the underbelly and there we no signs of leaking while we were on a three day camping trip.

My questions:
1 - does anyone have any idea of what may be in the area where the soft spot in the floor is? It seems to be near the water connections on the outside of the camper -- but it is also near the front edge of the slide.

2 - as far as the smell, we have read that it may be that the pipe that leads to the vent on the roof (if there is one in this model) may have become disconnected, allowing the fumes to permeate the underbody. Any suggestions or ideas?
larkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Your soft spot and sewer smell are near impossible to diagnose without see in the camper or at least more information, like a thorough inspection of the roof, the slide out seals, and an inspection underneath the camper. If the smell is more prevalent towards the front of the camper check the battery. A battery boiling out will give off a sulfur smell.

Check the battery electrolyte level and fill with distilled water only. Also check over the tires and the "born on date" as they are most likely original and have aged out requiring replacement.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
larkar

As to the tires, they looked beautiful -- only we found out that they were all dry rotted --- blew out one at a time on the 4 hour drive home making it an 8 hour drive, so, the tires are all new.

Will check out the battery again.

Thinking of getting a snake cam to go down the vent to the black water tank and see if it is separated.

As to the inspection from underneath, we'll have to cut a section of the underbelly panel to see more.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
larkar

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 10-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkar View Post
As to the tires, they looked beautiful -- only we found out that they were all dry rotted --- blew out one at a time on the 4 hour drive home making it an 8 hour drive, so, the tires are all new.

Will check out the battery again.

Thinking of getting a snake cam to go down the vent to the black water tank and see if it is separated.

As to the inspection from underneath, we'll have to cut a section of the underbelly panel to see more.
A "snake cam" won't help you diagnose a loose/leaking vent stack. On the "way in" with a snake cam, you'll be looking at the interior wall of the vent stack an once in the black tank, there's no way to "turn the camera so it's looking backwards" to "peer around the outside of the vent stack pipe.

You'd be "better served" pulling one side of the coroplast belly liner and using a bright light and mirror (or phone camera) to record what's leaking as you fill the black tank.

Now, if the actual vent stack pipe is cracked or split, your idea to use a camera "inside the pipe" may give you a visual on the split, but anything "glued to the outside of the pipe" is not going to be visible from "inside the pipe".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
larkar

I guess I don't have a true idea of what the black water tank and the vent pipe look like. I was thinking if it was a pipe coming from the top of the tank and up that if a long enough snake cam was put down that you could see a gap between the tank and the pipe.

There has been no leaking that we can see, even when the tanks were filled multiple times to clean them out.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkar View Post
I guess I don't have a true idea of what the black water tank and the vent pipe look like. I was thinking if it was a pipe coming from the top of the tank and up that if a long enough snake cam was put down that you could see a gap between the tank and the pipe.

There has been no leaking that we can see, even when the tanks were filled multiple times to clean them out.
As I understand it the issue is a sewage smell of "unknown origin" with no current leaking apparent. This could be an issue the PO (previous owner) had fixed the leak but did not have the affected area whether insulation, wood, heat ducts, or ???? replaced or cleaned properly. There are several possibilities, perhaps they overflowed the toilet by using the black tank rinser with the drain valve closed, or maybe the PO had a leak at the toilet flange that fixed but the floor is wet.

Unfortunately this will take some detective work. I'd start with dropping the coroplast and inspecting for signs of leaking and mold. If no issue there then I'd pull the toilet and look at the flooring around the toilet flange. Sorry I can't offer more definitive suggestions.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
larkar

Thanks again -- the plan for now is to remove the section of the underbelly covering at the point where the floor is soft to try to find the answer to both problems.

Tags
bullet, bullet premier