Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
Dennis Booker

Battery Disconnect

Hi Folks;

Looking to add a battery disconnect to My Springdale 260, 2012 Travel Trailer when I add the second 12 Volt battery, this will disconnect both batteries is the general consensus that it be on the Positive, Black side or the White, Negative side as I have seen multiple recommendations. Thank you in Advance
Dennis Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll continue to get "multiple recommendations" to use either the positive cable or the negative cable to install a battery cutoff switch.

In some applications, such as marine applications where there is a potential for the entire boat to become a ground (sitting in the water), or in NHRA cars where the battery location can be "on top of or behind the fuel tank", there are restrictions to use the positive terminal for the BCO.

Electrically, there is no reason, in a travel trailer, that one is "better than or not as good as" the other....

It becomes a matter of which you prefer and/or which is easier to get to.

Keystone installs "most" BCO switches on the positive terminal, but that said, my 2014 Cougar 27RKS came from the factory with the BCO connected to the negative battery cable.....

So.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
GHen

I added a disconnect switch on the positive side.

Specifically I added a A, B, Both, None switch.

I did this because I added a second battery but left the original one in also. Since they were different ages, a couple years apart, I needed to keep them separate since and old and new will only charge as strong as the weakest battery. So I used A for one and B for the second.

Once I was able to replace the two odd batteries with two that matched I now use the BOTH setting and None when not using the rig.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery