Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
albon

Electrical problem

2010 Everest: Plugged into 15ampat house. Have a meter to show power plugged into a 110V wall socket, which it does. However no power to anything else. Did Have frig running to check out, after 1st day down to 33 degrees. Now 2 days later saw it was up to inside temp and frig showed an error reading. I then tried lights and awning, no power. Checked DC lights very dim. (Just installed 2 new Nappa Golf type batteries fully charged 2 weeks ago, over $300). Believe power to everything but meter inside went out a while ago and drained battery.
I recycled main 50amp breaker inside RV, checked all other breakers and fuses, all good. Still show power to the outlet, no where else?????
Could there be a simple answer I'm overlooking??? Help
albon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
travelin texans

When changing batteries if there was any spark you may have blown the reverse polarity fuses on the converter so batteries are not charging when plugged into shore power.
Are sure you connected the new 6 volt batteries in series correctly? You could possibly only have 6 volts to your 12 volt system.
Whatever the case the batteries sound like the issue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albon View Post
2010 Everest: Plugged into 15ampat house. Have a meter to show power plugged into a 110V wall socket, which it does. However no power to anything else. Did Have frig running to check out, after 1st day down to 33 degrees. Now 2 days later saw it was up to inside temp and frig showed an error reading. I then tried lights and awning, no power. Checked DC lights very dim. (Just installed 2 new Nappa Golf type batteries fully charged 2 weeks ago, over $300). Believe power to everything but meter inside went out a while ago and drained battery.
I recycled main 50amp breaker inside RV, checked all other breakers and fuses, all good. Still show power to the outlet, no where else?????
Let's clarify. You have confirmed power at the HOUSE outler where plugged in but not IN THE TRAILER. If all camper breakers were turned off then back on and there is no 120vac in the camper than the issue is inbetween the 2 points. What's inbetween? A an amperage adapter and a shore cable? Have you checked them?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I think my good friend Marshal means "an amperage adapter" the thing you plugged into your 15A outlet that lets you plug your power cable into. Since you seem to have faith in your meter showing 117V at your home outlet, I would get a multimeter and start by checking to see if you have 117V coming out of your adapter. On your adapter out end you will have a U shaped hole at the top; this is ground. You will have two slotted holes at the bottom; the left is hot and the right is neutral as you look at them. Get your multimeter and put it on an AC scale 200 Volts or over. Put your red led in the left slot and black into the right slot while the power is on. Time to be careful.

If you have 117V on the meter when measuring the adapter, go in the trailer and open your power center. You will find your camper's power cord has green (ground), black and white leads. The black lead will be connected to the main fuse. Put your red probe on it and black probe on the neutral bar where the white wire connects. If you have 117V here, you need to shut off the power and tighten everything in the power center becuase you SHOULD have AC throughout the camper. Like Marshal said, adapter or shore cable.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
albon

Before I received any reply's I found....

Quote:
Originally Posted by albon View Post

Continued: I found the converter (dandy to get to), checked both 40 amp fuses. Both were blown. Will go to town tomorrow and get new ones, so there may be more to follow. We had a power outage (went off and on twice in 24 hrs) to our property during the time that our RV was plugged in. Never thought of unhooking the RV (your dealing with a real genius here). So I am hoping that this is what caused the problem.
I will check the voltages as recommended. The batteries were hooked up right as I made that mistake years ago. I have the correct diagram drown on the inside of the door to the battery department. Thanks for all the advice, more after fuses go in.
albon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
travelin texans

You also need an EMS, electrical management system, to plug into the power source followed by your rv plug to protect the rv electronics from these kinds of issues.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You also need an EMS, electrical management system, to plug into the power source followed by your rv plug to protect the rv electronics from these kinds of issues.
He was on a house 15A. The EMS would plug into the adapter I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, electrical problem