Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #1
kfxgreenie

On the way to compliance.

Yesterday I did the dirty deed. I sold the 3/4 ton Diesel so i no longer have to think about this forums weight police as much. Now i will still be a 2500 degenerate for a few years but my payload will be much better for the interim. I will be pulling the 2012 327RES with the "farm" truck a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 4:10 regular cab tradesman 3200 LB's payload. I received more for my 2014 Ram than I paid for it 6 years 10 months ago, granted it only had 12500 miles and is MINT. The truck market is silly stupid. I sold it knowing that I will not be buying a new truck for 1-2 years. I will wait till inventory is built back up and incentives are available and then I will join the dooley club. Thank you weight police for all the nagging in the back of my mind and making me take the jump.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
notanlines

When you got the check for that 2500 we could see the grin on your face from coast to coast! Good on ya!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Yesterday I did the dirty deed. I sold the 3/4 ton Diesel so i no longer have to think about this forums weight police as much. Now i will still be a 2500 degenerate for a few years but my payload will be much better for the interim. I will be pulling the 2012 327RES with the "farm" truck a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 4:10 regular cab tradesman 3200 LB's payload. I received more for my 2014 Ram than I paid for it 6 years 10 months ago, granted it only had 12500 miles and is MINT. The truck market is silly stupid. I sold it knowing that I will not be buying a new truck for 1-2 years. I will wait till inventory is built back up and incentives are available and then I will join the dooley club. Thank you weight police for all the nagging in the back of my mind and making me take the jump.
Official member....The few, the proud, the Weight Police!

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I looked at FB Marketplace this morning before work at the trucks and it looks like most dealers are asking about twice what they were going for a year or two ago. Crazy... I think it will get worse before better as imported parts seem to have gone through the roof and the inflation that will result from higher fuel costs and other factors will make a new truck $100K plus within a year or so for even the base models. (OK, I have no real idea but prices will skyrocket).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Henry congrats on the move and hopefully the market will be ready for you when you're ready in 1-2 years (cross our fingers). I highlighted the comment above because I am/was in the same boat of being beholden to those that would push the issue of weights.

I grew up towing anything/everything and weights entered the picture if the weight caused something to pop/break or some other mechanical malfunction. I towed RVs for many years having this and that issue figuring it was "RVing". When I finally bought a bigger trailer (10k gvw) I joined this forum because I wanted to know more. One of the first things brought up was the trailer weight/length and my 1/2 ton. I'd towed stuff all my life; farm, RVs, pop ups, flat beds; I was doing fine. At that time those warning me weren't really called out as weight police as I recall, but they DID try to warn me.

I continued on with my "know it all" attitude. Found trying to stop that big trailer sure took a while. Hmmm. Never had thought of using a cat scale but it was talked about so I did. Well knock me down Jimmy! I WAS over payload and approaching rgawr. I pulled things out, adjusted every trip, didn't take by bbq, ditched the floor jack...on and on. But, just like you said, the good folks had planted the seed of knowledge and it "nagged in the back of my head incessantly"; it got to the point I did not want to tow the RV because DW trusted me and I was "cheating" or putting her in danger without telling her - that was it. 3/4 ton when I got home and fixed "that" problem. Now it's a 1 ton. I won't tow overloaded again; whether I ever have an accident or not the knowledge that it could happen, and be my fault and possibly alter my life forever, is not an option and I would not forgive myself. I commend you on looking forward.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Interesting topic. My 2014 Chevy 3500 dually diesel is completely paid for, has 78,000 miles (not even broke in yet), so this is really a great reminder of what I have. Just yesterday, I had 2 new batteries installed. The old ones were the original factory installed, 7 year old batteries. I was kind of shaking my head at the $550 price tag for both and the install in that figure, but considering the cost of a brand new one, that's nothing but chicken feed now! I'm keeping mine.... forever!
Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #7
kfxgreenie

Thanks all. I have never had the kids in the truck, the oldest is 4.5 now. It was always in the back of my mind so we took two vehicles. Now I have at least a year to research, this is going to be tough on me. A Mopar family through and through, but even for the 2022 update looks like the Ram will keep the 6 speed AISIN as the top tier transmission. I did the 2nd dirty deed and just built a F450 on the Ford website, oh did that hurt the soul, choices choices.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote