Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
jasin1

Ems vs surge protector

What is the general consensus for shore power protection at home. I have a progressive industries ems and I hate to leave it outside plugged in all year round.
I also have a surge guard 50 amp surge protector that I use just at my house.
I have a separate Garage with 150 amp service. I have a dedicated 50 amp rv outlet running from that panel. I hardly use that garage at all.mostly just storage..I have a separate garage workshop for everything else.
I know everyone says you should use the ems and I totally agree to use it at the campgrounds but it seems like undo wear and tear to leave it plugged in all year when it’s very unlikely I will have a problem with the outlet.
The surge protector should cover voltage spikes. Low voltage while pretty unlikely can happen but I don’t think the converter would be damaged by slightly low voltage but who knows..I’ve never had that problem at my house
I don’t run air or heat or really anything other then keeping it plugged in for battery charge.
May be better just to get a separate trickle charger and plug that directly into a separate extension cord and roll up the shore power cable.
That way I only lose the charger if some problem ever came up.
I’ve lived here over 30 years and keep my boats plugged in on the pier without any protection and have never had an issue.
It just seems like the main reason for an ems is for campgrounds with questionable electric grids and possible faulty pedestals.
Just don’t want to wear out my ems then scramble to get one when i need it at a campground
Old 05-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Javi

Got no real answer to your question but to say that is why I have a hard wired EMS. Install and forget it...
Old 05-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Power anomalies come without warning, and the type can run the gamut. I leave mine plugged into 50A when at home or traveling with an EMS on it. I use an 18"? 50A/50A dogbone for the receptacle as sort of a sacrificial piece.

I've lost multiple computers, freezer, fridge etc. to power surges/low voltage etc. I don't intend for the RV to get caught in that. I mean the EMS is only $350 or so. If it protected you from an incident and ruining a 3-4k fridge.....I'm good with that. Wear and tear is not a concern for me - I have it to do a job and things wear out. If it looks like it has been compromised in any way I would certainly replace it before going to a campground to "find out".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Wear and tear? You worry too much. While your gargae plug may be in good shape transformers do fail. My EMS is herdwired, going on year 9 and plugged in most of the time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Got no real answer to your question but to say that is why I have a hard wired EMS. Install and forget it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Power anomalies come without warning, and the type can run the gamut. I leave mine plugged into 50A when at home or traveling with an EMS on it. I use an 18"? 50A/50A dogbone for the receptacle as sort of a sacrificial piece.

I've lost multiple computers, freezer, fridge etc. to power surges/low voltage etc. I don't intend for the RV to get caught in that. I mean the EMS is only $350 or so. If it protected you from an incident and ruining a 3-4k fridge.....I'm good with that. Wear and tear is not a concern for me - I have it to do a job and things wear out. If it looks like it has been compromised in any way I would certainly replace it before going to a campground to "find out".
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Wear and tear? You worry too much. While your gargae plug may be in good shape transformers do fail. My EMS is herdwired, going on year 9 and plugged in most of the time.
Yeah I guess I do worry about stupid sh#@
I think Im Gonna get a hardwired unit and keep this one for a backup.. I just don’t like things sitting out looking used and abused over the years.. I even use a marinco shore power cover just to keep the cord from getting UV damage or scuffs from laying on the ground
I just wondered about the long term reliability when plugged in 24 hours a day 365 a year
Old 05-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah I guess I do worry about stupid sh#@
I think Im Gonna get a hardwired unit and keep this one for a backup.. I just don’t like things sitting out looking used and abused over the years.. I even use a marinco shore power cover just to keep the cord from getting UV damage or scuffs from laying on the ground
I just wondered about the long term reliability when plugged in 24 hours a day 365 a year

Jasin I wouldn't worry about it; they're made to be outside. There are power cables going to businesses sheathed in the same kind of material that sit there for what seems like forever, under the sun, in the rain etc. Hardwired vs portable is a 100% owner decision based on what you want/like - both work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Why not mount an electrical utility box under the current 50 amp plug and adapt it so the EMS will fit inside that box. When the trailer is at the house, plug the EMS into the outlet and the trailer into the EMS and just close the door on the utility box... This one is 8x12x5 inches

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industrie...05UPANU2&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ELECTRIC UTILITY BOX.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	33743  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Why not mount an electrical utility box under the current 50 amp plug and adapt it so the EMS will fit inside that box. When the trailer is at the house, plug the EMS into the outlet and the trailer into the EMS and just close the door on the utility box... This one is 8x12x5 inches

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industrie...05UPANU2&psc=1
Now that’s a good idea!
Sometimes a simple solution is so obvious I don’t even think about it.
I could even make a nice cabinet on the end of the garage and just mount the rv receptacle in there and have enough room for the ems with the bottom open for the cord. Keep the weather off of everything. I will see what sizes are available like the one you posted also .. not sure but if 12” is enough to mount the ems. But I get what your saying about mounting under the dedicated outlet and just covering the ems

Thanks! ..appreciate the feedback from everyone