Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
John3Dtraveler

2021 Impact 367 waste water dumping

New to RVing.
The specs for the 367 state that it has (1) 88 gallon black water tank and (1) 88 gallon grey water tank. Looking underneath, I see where the main bathroom water closet and the 1/2 bath water closet are tied together from front to back with a Tee fitting in the middle of the run and a hose adapter for the dump connection. Neither of these 3" pipes has a knife valve installed. I also see a 2"grey water line that ties into the 3" pipe and the 2" line does have a knife valve. I do not see any sort of grey water line from the 1/2 bath.
In the slam door compartment that contains all the water connections and flush connections I see that there are two pull handles, one labeled grey tank and one labeled black tank.
I've looked all over to try and find some schematic of the sewer system or something to help better explain how the system works but have had no luck.
Here's how I think it works. If you have a 367 and can confirm or deny I'd appreciate it.
I think I hook up the waste hose to the only 3" hose connection under the trailer that's located at the tee fitting between both water closet drains.
There are no knife valves so I assume to dump both water closets I would pull the "black tank" valve in the slam door compartment to dump both simultaneously. But then I ask myself, why does it state that I have only (1) black water tank? How do the 1/2 bath and the master bath collect black water in the same tank?
Furthermore, I would assume that to dump the gray water I would pull the only knife valve I see, located on the 2" pipe connecting to the 3", and then pull the "grey tank" valve in the slam door compartment. I guess it's safe to assume that grey water from the master bath and the kitchen are stored in the 88 gallon grey water tank and the grey water from the 1/2 bath is stored in the 88 gallon black water tank?

Lot's of words but I hope I've been able to convey what I'm thinking so I can maybe get some advice as I am sure that all models are different.
John3Dtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

How many valve handles TOTAL do you have?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
John3Dtraveler

There are three handles total. One knife valve handle and two pull handles
Old 04-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok. Does the specs say an 88 gal tank or CAPACITY?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
John3Dtraveler

"Grey Water 88 gallon"
"Waste Water 88 gallon"
Old 04-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah, but does it say “total Capacity”?

I haven’t seen an 88 gal waste tank in any RV I have worked on. Is fresh water 110 gal by chance?

Old 04-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
John3Dtraveler

The data under "specs" Reads exactly as how I quoted it above and below.
106 gallon fresh water
88 gallon Grey Water
88 gallon waste water
------
I did also find information under the standards and options page that states the following:
106 gal. fresh, 88 gal. gray, 44/88 gal. black
Old 04-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

At this point I would get the “build sheet” for your trailer. You can get one from Keystone using the VIN. It will list the components installed in YOUR unit.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #9
John3Dtraveler

I'll look into that tomorrow, thanks
Old 04-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

You have 2 44 gal. grey tanks from what I can see and the way trailer is laid out. What is plumbed to what will probably be a matter of trial and error looking at the floorplan. Empty them all, run water into one place and pull a handle; won't take long.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #11
John3Dtraveler

Well, called Keystone, she said they didn't have a build sheet but I did give her my VIN and she did clue me in as to what my tank arrangement is:

Black Tank #1- 44 gallon for master toilet
Grey Tank #1- 44 gallon for master shower and sink
Black Tank #2- 44 gallon for 1/2 bath toilet/sink/clothes washer
Grey Tank #2- 44 gallon for kitchen sink

Pull Valves in convenience center compartment: supposedly
Black Tank = Black Tank #1
Grey Tank = Grey Tank #1

2" Knife Valve at connection to 3" sewer line underneath:
Grey Tank #2

Still have not found any valve specifically for the Black Tank #2 (maybe the black tank pull valve in the convenience center opens both black tanks?)

I'm currently letting all the water drain (it's new and has no black waste in any tank) Then I'll do some water dumping, and draining from all the sinks and toilets and try to determine how Black Tank #2 is opened.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:49 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad your getting some information anyway. The factory does have a build sheet that includes model and serial numbers. When a warranty claim is made a picture of model and serial number is required so the factory can verify that the failed component did indeed come from that unit.

Anyway, Post what you find.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #13
John3Dtraveler

WOW, the plot thickens!
So, I opened all valves/handles that I can see. I pulled open the Black tank handle and the Grey tank handle in the convenience center and I opened the 2" knife valve handle. Let everything drain. Added water to the 1/2 bath toilet and flushed and no water appears. Turned on the 1/2 bath faucet and no water appears.
Go inside and check the tank levels.
Black #1 - empty
Grey #1 - empty
Black#2 - 1/3 full
Grey #2 - empty

I have looked underneath and I don't see any valve in the 3" waste line coming from the 1/2 bath toilet. It appears that the factory may have installed the valve above the undercarriage covering!
I find that very hard to believe but I've looked at the pipe from the dump hose connection to where it turns up into the 1/2 bathroom, at which point it's surrounded by spray foam, and I don't see any valve or any place that a valve would be with a missing handle.

That's almost too crazy to believe.....
Old 04-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3Dtraveler View Post
Black Tank #2- 44 gallon for 1/2 bath toilet/sink/clothes washer

Still have not found any valve specifically for the Black Tank #2 (maybe the black tank pull valve in the convenience center opens both black tanks?)

I'm currently letting all the water drain (it's new and has no black waste in any tank) Then I'll do some water dumping, and draining from all the sinks and toilets and try to determine how Black Tank #2 is opened.
I've never seen a single valve used to empty both black tanks. EVERY tank will have its own dump valve and associated valve handle. There 's a handle located somewhere under the trailer..

USE EXTREME CAUTION if the clothes washer empties into black tank #2 and you can't find the dump valve for that tank. The pump on the clothes washer has no "tank level sensor" and it will continue to "pump water into the black tank until the cycle ends" with no regard to where it flows..... Just as leaving the tub faucet on and going shopping is a "sure way to flood the bathroom" running a load of clothes with the black tank valve closed is a great way to "spread poo water over the vinyl and nearby carpet".......

If you have a washer/dryer and plan to use it, confirm that the drain connection is really plumbed to the black tank. If it is, don't wash clothes with the valve closed!!!!!! And, that means, if you can't find the valve, I wouldn't use the toilet or bathroom sink in that half bath either. With no means to empty the black tank, what do you do when someone washes their hands ??? All that "black water" is being stored somewhere and eventually you're going to have to dump it....

But, pumping water from the washer into the black tank "under pressure" is going to do more than just trying to flush the toilet and it won't go down"... That "pressure" can do some "really explosive damage"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3Dtraveler View Post
I have looked underneath and I don't see any valve in the 3" waste line coming from the 1/2 bath toilet. It appears that the factory may have installed the valve above the undercarriage covering!

That's almost too crazy to believe.....

At least you found it before there was any BLACK in the black tank!!
Old 04-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

i guess you now know the importance of a thurough PDI and a competent tech at the dealer to go over it with you, I know that doesn't help you now but for anyone reading this and contemplating a new purchase.

I've read several posts like this where the "missing" valve handle is eventually found behind the frame or tucked away inbetween the axles. Sometimes they make it a "where's Waldo" adventure to find it. I wish you luck and hope you enjoy your new camper.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #17
K_N_L

Frame Rails?

Have you closely checked on the (driver side) frame rails for a pull handle? My gray #2 pull handle is just in front of the wheels under the slide out. Looking at the layout diagram it could be either in front or behind the wheels. Good Luck!

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #18
John3Dtraveler

this is true!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #19
John3Dtraveler

YEAH!
Thanks for all the input. I did find the pull handle on the frame rail behind the tires on the drivers side.
I suppose the little sticker that would have alerted me to this valve was either not applied or has fallen off. Either way, I'm damn happy we found the valve.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #20
Javi

Looking at your floor plan I'd bet money that there are 4 valves.. the two in the wet/water area and one 1-1/2 valve in front of the tires close to where the 1-1/2 tees into the 3" and the final valve either between the tires along the frame or behind the tire...where the rear 3" disappears into the coroplast..

The front bath black tank is under the pass-thru and the bath gray tank is beside it... the galley gray tank is behind that where the 1-1/2 disappears into the coroplast..

If it we me... I'd start with the front black tank and identify the correct tee-handle.. then the bath gray handle.. then the galley...

When looking for the rear black tank valve handle look for a small 1/4" - !'2" diameter hole either in the frame or even a bump in the coroplast above or below the frame itself..

Edit... glad you found it..

Tags
water