Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
CDRVing

Sun Protection

Has anyone used a screen that attaches to your awning similar to this? A couple of campsites we’ve had, it seemed like there was sun all day on the front of the RV. I had pretty bad skin cancer on my face and I would like to protect especially my face (hat does that) but I worry about the rest of me too. My husband is very leery about attaching it to the awning. We’re still Newbies and I don’t want to cause issues with our new TT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8020AADA-7FAD-4B2C-BDBE-2AC533DFA46F.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	31330

I hope I attached that right???

Chuck & Deb
2019 Ford F-250XLT
2021 Passport 2900RL GT TT
CDRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
travelin texans

Had 2 awnings on our last 5th wheel with the Shade Pro Vista Shades on both.
The top section stayed on the awning & was still able to roll up & the bottom section zipped on when needed. They worked great!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Dhuhn

i have one on my awning and love it. as travlin texan said there is a top section that stays on and rolls up in awning. it definitely keeps it cooler under your awning. i would say a good addition to your awning.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Well, the previous 2 posts may have answered my answer/concern. I actually have a screen similar to that sitting back at the barn but never used it. We are seemingly continually extending and retracting the awning due to weather conditions. I didn't want to have to continually fight trying to take the thing off then put it back on so it's never been out of the box. I'll give it a relook when we get home to see if it works like the above posts. If so, it might be worth the trouble....but I don't have a history of any serious skin cancer. I've lost count of the "pre" cancerous things removed from me but none have been actual cancer. Might be willing to put up with a little trouble in that case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
ewbldavis

A friend's campsite faces sun - they LOVE it for the shade.

Danny - he also faces West. They haven't had too much trouble pulling off the screen and rolling up the awning when wind picks up. It's been a life saver for baking in the sun. Give yours a shot - bet you like it!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
CDRVing

Thanks so much. It’s horrible as a female to have a 2” square scar on my face. I’m loving wearing the mask, I can hide it! Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! And I’m going to order that screen.

Chuck & Deb
2019 Ford F-250XLT
Old 12-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
dutchmensport

We've had 1 pop-up, 3 travel trailers, and now a fifth wheel. We've considered the sun-shades that attach to the awning for every camper we've owned, but still prefer to use quick shades instead to extend the awning shaded area.

The nice thing about quick shades is, you can move them around. When the sun moves and it's shining directly under the awning from one end or the other, we can move a quick shade to the end, tilt it slightly, and everything under the awning is now in shade.

Also, we can move them away from the awning, near the campfire pit, or even farther. For us, they have been very versatile. We've had 2 of them for many years now. The two together provide a lot of adaptability to almost any sunny situation. When the sun moves across the sky and the shade shifts, we can easily re-adjust position and still be under comfortable shade. For us this works. They are easy to set up, easy to take down, and really don't cost all the much. We've had our first one for over 15 years. When it, literally, shredded, we purchased these 2. Been using them almost every camping trip for over 5 years now.

Previous travel trailer:

Our first pop-up:

Here's an example of our current fifth wheel. It has a back door on the opposite side. At this State Park we had a wide, very wide campsite and set one of the quick shades on the opposite side near the wading pool we brought along. The grandson had a great time in the water, we enjoyed the shade.

About 2 years ago we purchased this for the picnic table. At first I was reluctant, but the wife wanted it. So she ordered it. After using it one time, I was hooked. It fits any picnic table up to 8 feet long, adjustable, tilts, and works great.

This picnic cover is magnificent when under trees. It keep tree stuff from falling in your frying eggs on the griddle!

We could NEVER put a screened in cover on the awning on our current Montana. It's way, way, way too high. I have to use a step ladder to reach the arms so I can tilt it when it rains. It's probably 10 feet in the air. Impossible to reach, even tilted down.

So for us, the quick shades and the picnic table cover works wonderful! Everyone does it their own way though. No right or wrongs, just the best that works for YOU!
Old 01-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
gearhead

dutchmensport: The shade the other posters are referring to has 2 sections. The top section has a plastic bead that slides into the groove on your awning roller. That section is maybe 3ft and has a zipper. The other, larger, section, zips into the one on the roller. So you don't necessarily need a step ladder. I can stand on my toes and zip it but usually use a step stool. If there is substantial wind I stake the corners.
I have a pop up canopy but don't use it for travelling. Too heavy, too cumbersome, and I never have needed it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I've had the one piece screen for about 13 or 14 years now. I bought it for our previous trailer. Same size awning as current trailer so I kept it. Having a travel trailer (and I'm a little tall) it's no problem putting in on or off. It still looks new as we only need it a couple of times/year. on those occasions when the curb side faces a setting or afternoon sun it's been well worth the money to us.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
CDRVing

Hubby is worried about sliding it in and out of the awning groove but your post has me thinking, does the zipper on the 2 piece screen cause any issues to the awning itself?

Chuck & Deb
2019 Ford F-250XLT
Old 01-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRVing View Post
Hubby is worried about sliding it in and out of the awning groove but your post has me thinking, does the zipper on the 2 piece screen cause any issues to the awning itself?
What's his concern? The roller tube is aluminum and the groove is not going to wear out. The screen is easy to slip in. I typically have the DW pull on the end while I guide it into the groove. Only takes about 10 seconds to install. Removing is easy by myself.

If I had a fifth wheel I'd probably get the zippered model as the awning roller would be higher in the air.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
dutchmensport:...The other, larger, section, zips into the one on the roller. So you don't necessarily need a step ladder. ...

I have to use a ladder to reach my awning. I just measured it. The distance from the ground to the awning is 10 feet 6 inches. Without a ladder, that's impossible to reach the roller, even when its unrolled and titled, the roller is still 8 feet high. If the campsite is unlevel, that distance can be even greater.

In order to tilt the awning for rain, I use a 3 step, step ladder just so I can reach the arms to tilt it. And yes, my awning is electric.

Now, my previous travel trailer with manual awnings, yes, those were very accessible from the ground.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
The zippered shades do not require constantly sliding on/off except the initial install, the zipper causes no issues rolling up the awning & no ladder required to zip the lower section on.
The set I had the bottom sections hung down 6', the small awning hung a total of 8' making the top section 2', the big awning top section was 3' total hanging was 9' making both the same once extended. I also had the awning tie downs with the spring at bottom to tie them down, making almost a screened patio.
Also with the power awnings you can set the pitch for rain run off & as long as there's no more than 3 holes difference between the arms it will roll up/down without changing the pitch, at least with the Carefree awnings.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #14
CDRVing

His concern is rolling the awning up with the zipper attached will damage the mechanism that rolls the awning up. 50 some odd years ago my husband’s family had a renovated schools bus and then a Winnebago. He tends to say, we didn’t have that when I was little. I believe we should make this as easy as we can, we both have health issues. I hope to see the country before we can’t travel anymore.

Chuck & Deb
2019 Ford F-250XLT
Old 01-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
His concern is rolling the awning up with the zipper attached will damage the mechanism that rolls the awning up. 50 some odd years ago my husband’s family had a renovated schools bus and then a Winnebago. He tends to say, we didn’t have that when I was little. I believe we should make this as easy as we can, we both have health issues. I hope to see the country before we can’t travel anymore.
Not sure what your asking about, but the bottom section that's removable has the zipper tab on it, so there's nothing on the top section to interfere or damage the awning operation.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Rolling up the zipper can't damage the "mechanism". If you think about it awnings already wrap the 8" or so piece of trim that hangs in front of the roller tube. I don't believe in "sticking with the past". Modern conveniences are great for the most part IMO. Just because it's "the latest and greatest" doesn't make it bad or good, just something else to consider if it's useful and or worth the money.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #17
CDRVing

That’s what I needed to hear. Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Chuck & Deb
2019 Ford F-250XLT
Old 02-05-2021, 03:39 AM   #18
Thats me

So the dutchmansport continues to strike, the op was asking about sunscreens, nothing about sunscreens from dutchmansport but let me show you all my stuff. SEE WHAT I GOT. Useless post.
Thats me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:32 AM   #19
Northofu1

[QUOTE=Thats me;432942]So the dutchmansport continues to strike, the op was asking about sunscreens, nothing about sunscreens from dutchmansport but let me show you all my stuff. SEE WHAT I GOT. Useless post.[/QUOTE

That's harsh. Everyone has the right to comment in a thread, as long as it doesn't use profanity, religious/political undertones, then who cares?
It's a forum, not a dictatorship (usually ).
Move on

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:18 AM   #20
Laredo Tugger

dutchmensport offered valid suggestions for anyone wanting to reduce their exposure to the sun while camping. At least that's what I see in the photos.
Have not seen too many "SEE WHAT I GOT" post on here. Maybe a few pictures of dogs and motorcycles which I have no problem with.
Move on is good advice.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote