Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Marshall,
I'm not answering this to bust your butt, but if a person knows that that 1/2 ton (or older 3/4 with the saggy butt) can't tow that weight and lets someone drive off, your conscience is the interest on the money you just made.
I guess I'm the flawed one.
The OP attempted to explain this to the buyer. He let her use his trailer ball to get it home. Any further action on his part is unnecessary in my opinion. There are many, many people out there in the world that are so inclined as to not care or aren't interested in learning anything. These are folks (and the lawyers they hire to get compensated for their stupidity) are why a toaster has a 1' cord and a warning not to try to heat the house with it. The same reasons space heaters have warning labels about distance from flammable cloths so folks don't sleep with one under their blankets.

I'm all for helping folks out, that's why I'm here, that's why I taught as adjunct faculty in a college. It wasn't for the money. The key thing is that someone has to have the desire to learn.

There are many misfortunate people in this world that are suffering for any number of reasons. What one does as charitable acts is up to the individual but I would never criticize the OP or anyone else in a business transaction for not "adopting" the "little old lady" or go chasing after her to help.

You always hear about the lying salesman but what about the buyer? Ask any person that's owned a business that deals with the public. They hear more sob stories by people looking to get a deal or discount thru pity. I'm not saying by any stretch that this is the case here, just that it happens with great frequency.

The bottom line is you cannot judge me for how I conduct a business transaction. This is one of the reasons that I rarely do sell anything, as a matter of fact, the last time I sold anything was when I sold my previous camper. Sold it to my Godson for less than trade in offered and put new tires on it. The trailer before that I gave to a family member that was tent camping. I'm not "patting myself on the back", just explaining that you don't know me so don't judge.

"Busting" on me? Don't worry, I sleep just fine every night after thanking the Lord for how I've been blessed. You do what you feel is right and I won't "bust" on you. Deal?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #22
Cyberian

TANSTATMT

It probably should be repeated more often?
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
Northofu1

I wasn't worried and I wasn't laying judgement on anyone.
Just stating that a person's conscience is bugging them because they made the wrong choice.
Personally, I wouldn't have sold the trailer, or anything I didn't feel was up to par.
I've been burnt enough to know that feeling.
I wouldn't do that to anyone.
I sleep well at night, (except when my torn rotator cuff is bugging me) and I don't need the lord for that.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a difference between being a "responsible seller" (and notifying the purchaser of a conflict/danger) and being a "policeman" (refusing to sell to him because he makes a choice to tow with his vehicle even after being warned of the danger)...

In our society, it's not the role of a seller to "enforce compliance" (other than federally mandated restrictions such as alcohol/tobacco sold to minors, etc)...

There's a fine line between warning of a danger and refusing to sell a product. Think about selling your home as an example. Refuse to sell to someone based on religion, race, gender and you could get sued very quickly. Refuse to sell your RV to someone because they didn't show up with the correct tow vehicle, in today's litigious society, could easily land you in court to explain why you "discriminated" in the transaction.....

Agree or not, even stupid/ignorant people do still have rights. One of them is to purchase items on the free market without being hassled by a "conscientious seller looking to protect everyone from danger".....

IMHO, due diligence, tell the purchaser of the implications, but it's not your "duty" to enforce their compliance.....
I wouldn't care. I'm no lawyer, but I could defend myself in court. Have in the past and succeeded. If someone had no brake controller and a truck that was not deemed fit to tow a trailer of a decent size, I would refuse to sell it. I would also use my experience and corroboration of data with outdsoorsy and my refusal to rent to folks because of that. The BMW X6 owner that wanted to rent and pull my 7500 lb travel trailer. Also, I would never not sell a house because of race, religion, or what my neighbours likes and dislikes were.
Dan

Old 10-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
hornet28

Renting is a much different scenario than selling. He advised her and she didn't listen. So come down from the pulpit
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #26
pdaniel

I understand the original post about being concerned about the buyer. We can tell prospective buyers the minimum equipment needed, but, as the old adage goes about the horse and water.
I see this same issue many times in this and other forums-can I tow that heavy Montana, Alpine, Solitude, Redwood that is 41-43 feet long and weighs upwards of 11,500 empty and 18,000 full with my super heavy duty 3/4 ton from a half-decade to a decade ago. All one can do is say is it is on them (and hopefully no innocent persons are injured)....
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #27
Ozarkwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Dave I think you face a situation like many truck/rv salesmen face but they don't care. She obviously has no clue about towing and comes from a mindset that a truck, is a truck is a truck and she has "a 3/4 ton"! Lots of red flags to me and what sticks in my mind is a recent picture on this forum of a little old lady that looked like that sitting in a chair in the middle of the highway after the truck and trailer overturned. Not good.

Is she open to coaching or help? You loaned her a 2 5/16 ball. Did she get her own? Doesn't look like a wdh. Is she going to get one? On that old of a pickup and a widow I figure the shocks, tires and springs are not up to the task. Does she have any idea how those things affect towing? I don't know why she wants it but she need a LOT of help before she heads out and hits the hiways and byways.

If it were me I would call her and tell her I had been looking at that picture and been worried sick about the situation. Make arrangements and go to her. Get that drop hitch off there and get the proper one. Make sure that ball is TIGHT and not just screwed on by the neighbor's teenager. Line her up with a good wdh and help her order it and then offer to put it on and set it up for her. Go over the vehicle issues and get that straight and a plan to fix it up - help her if required....she's a widow.

I know that sounds like a lot for the "seller" to be doing but the sale was made, and made to a widow woman that doesn't have a clue. She needs help and should not have to learn what she doesn't know on the side of the road or worse.

My MIL lost her husband when she was about that age. She could barely drive. I watched over her and took care of her until she died at 91. Strong, brave on the outside but inside she just didn't know what she didn't know. I was the one that did those kinds of things for her because, IMO, there was no alternative....even if I didn't like her initially. She's not your MIL but there is an obligation there it seems but that's JMO and YMMV I'm sure. Good luck on getting it sorted.
Well said, go the extra mile to help her out to get her equipment set up properly also educating her. You will feel better for doing it.
Ozarkwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #28
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Renting is a much different scenario than selling. He advised her and she didn't listen. So come down from the pulpit
Atheists don't have pulpits. They do know when they're

Old 10-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
Roscommon48

well, like my dad would have said, 'it's not your problem'

now go buy another trailer and enjoy your time.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #30
Cyberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
well, like my dad would have said, 'it's not your problem'

now go buy another trailer and enjoy your time.
We did buy a new trailer, that's why I was selling the old one

The pleasant surprise for me was that both new & old fit in our "RV" driveway and made moving from one to the other easy

Photo is new (other brand...) backed in front of our old rig

I have and will probably continue to refer people from other brand's forum to this one because the "Weight Police" here are incomparable in knowledge and experience
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106488340_10220629225538331_1012617472415116585_o.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	30157  
Old 10-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #31
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
We did buy a new trailer, that's why I was selling the old one

The pleasant surprise for me was that both new & old fit in our "RV" driveway and made moving from one to the other easy

Photo is new (other brand...) backed in front of our old rig

I have and will probably continue to refer people from other brand's forum to this one because the "Weight Police" here are incomparable in knowledge and experience
Congrats on your Winnie! What model is that?

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:10 AM   #32
Cyberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedMarie View Post
Congrats on your Winnie! What model is that?

Marie
It's a 2701RBS
Old 10-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #33
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
It's a 2701RBS
We’re looking at Winnebago as well, for the future & we love that floor plan but wish there was a closet of some sort beside the wardrobes on either side of the bed.

Enjoy!

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #34
HankV

I understand the intent of the original poster and his concerns. Here is my 2 cents.

The basis of trade is someone has a product that they want X amount for and someone is willing to pay X amount for it. Once the exchange of money for goods is made what either person does is not the others concern.

That being said showing concern for the other person is admirable. All you can do is voice your concerns and advise them. What they do with the information is up to them. You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water...

Anything they do after is on them and not on you.