Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Holmesfamilyrv

Flojet pump help

First use of pump. Filled FW tank. Turned pump on. Nothing happens. Checked switch. Checked fuse. All good. When city water is connected and on pump turns on with switch. Yes I opened faucets per the owners manual. When attempting to prime the lines. Really don’t want to take trailer to dealer if I don’t have to.
Holmesfamilyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you “hear” the pump running when hooked up to city water?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Holmesfamilyrv

Yes. I opened the panel up and can hear, feel the pump running when city water is on.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

That is strange. Since you’ve located the pump, eliminate the obvious and make sure the lines are connected correctly. If they are, then there may be an issue in the head assembly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
Holmesfamilyrv

The lines look right. I disconnected and reconnected them. My next thought was maybe a pressure switch. When the city water is on all I have to do is turn the switch on to get it to run. Don’t even need to open a faucet. Really don’t want to hit up the dealer right now. They are “quarantining” any trailers for 3 days after drop off before they even go into them for work. So they are backed up big time and my next trip is only 2 weeks out.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

Just curious... why are you turning the pump on when connected to a water supply?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Holmesfamilyrv

At that point I was trying anything I could think of just to track down the problem. It was a random thought of “hey what if”. I didn’t expect it to come on but it did. Yes, I am aware you don’t need the pump on when connected to city water.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

First, does the pump "run and then appropriately shut off" if NOT connected to city water ???

If no, then I'd replace the pump. You could consider a new pump head (almost as much as a complete pump) or a new pressure switch (this would mean rebuilding the current pump head)...

If yes, then there's possibly some trash in the pump head (roller diaphragm) and if you take it apart, find the debris, you might "fix" the pump.

At any rate, I'd recommend installing a strainer on the pump inlet line to preclude the "almost always there" trash in the fresh water tank. The flojet strainer is available for $9 on Amazon and is "one of the best "under $10 investments you can make for your trailer"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flojet inlet strainer.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	29609  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
Holmesfamilyrv

More info

Some troubleshooting steps that I tried.

So just to see what happened I turned on city water, turned on the pump, opened a faucet. The pump ran, so I turned off city water. The pump kept running and pumped water no problem. I did that starting at the furthest faucet and worked closer. Then I shut off city water completely and the pump worked as advertised for a while. After about 30 minutes I opened a faucet in the bathroom and the pump started pumping water fine but then slowed to a stop and wouldn’t work again.

I’m going to order a new pump. I know this one is under warranty but I’m 2 weeks from a trip where I’ll need it and don’t want to chance it.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #10
QCMan
Gone Traveling

This might be a little silly but have you checked to see if there is water in the fresh tank?
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmesfamilyrv View Post
Some troubleshooting steps that I tried.

So just to see what happened I turned on city water, turned on the pump, opened a faucet. The pump ran, so I turned off city water. The pump kept running and pumped water no problem. I did that starting at the furthest faucet and worked closer. Then I shut off city water completely and the pump worked as advertised for a while. After about 30 minutes I opened a faucet in the bathroom and the pump started pumping water fine but then slowed to a stop and wouldn’t work again.

I’m going to order a new pump. I know this one is under warranty but I’m 2 weeks from a trip where I’ll need it and don’t want to chance it.
I really like the Shure Flo a lot more.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
Holmesfamilyrv

Filled it up at the beginning of this process.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

If the pump continues to run with all the faucets shut off and sounds like it's "laboring" or "slowing down" it sounds as if it's not getting the full 12 VDC and can't "produce enough RPM to attain full pressure... You might check your battery connections, the grounds at the battery cable/frame connection and any "loose wires" or "bad crimps" in the water pump wiring... What you describe sounds more like a voltage issue than a water pressure issue.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #14
Holmesfamilyrv

Actually it’s the opposite. Pump isn’t running.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:29 PM   #15
tech740

So when you are on city water the pump runs when you turn it on, but if the fresh tank is full and you turn it on with a faucet open the pump will not power on?

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:03 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
So when you are on city water the pump runs when you turn it on, but if the fresh tank is full and you turn it on with a faucet open the pump will not power on?
I THINK that’s what he’s trying to say. Reading thru this it’s confusing but if this is what’s happening then it may be the pressure switch hanging up. If you replace the pump to make your trip then see if you can get replaced under warranty. Then save the replacement as a spare for a future failure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:47 AM   #17
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I THINK that’s what he’s trying to say. Reading thru this it’s confusing but if this is what’s happening then it may be the pressure switch hanging up. If you replace the pump to make your trip then see if you can get replaced under warranty. Then save the replacement as a spare for a future failure.
That’s exactly what’s happening and the conclusion I’ve come to. Bad pressure switch. The plan is to do just as you said. Replace pump and then work the warranty on the bad one so I’ll have a spare around.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:48 AM   #18
Holmesfamilyrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Exactly what is taking place.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #19
dutchmensport

OK, I'm confused over this entire thread. Help me understand.

1. Your fresh water tank is filled.
2. Your water hose is DISCONNECTED or the faucet at the water source is turned off?
3. You turn your water pump on, and nothing happens?

Is this correct? I ask because if your garden hose is on from the water source, most systems are designed in such a way that the water pump will not turn on.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
OK, I'm confused over this entire thread. Help me understand.

1. Your fresh water tank is filled.
2. Your water hose is DISCONNECTED or the faucet at the water source is turned off?
3. You turn your water pump on, and nothing happens?

Is this correct? I ask because if your garden hose is on from the water source, most systems are designed in such a way that the water pump will not turn on.

I don't have a clue as to the city water and pump references but thought the smarter folks on the forum could parse this mess out!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote