Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 05:07 AM   #21
Laredo Tugger

I use an Autoformer, basically a 38 pound potable transformer/surge protector.
For now (because of it's "value") I carry it in a plastic crate and cable lock it to one of my trailer wheels,then slide it underneath the axles and cover it.
A future project is to build a lockable mount on the trailer I-beam near the drivers side rear (where the 50 amp plug is) and reconfigure my power cords (plugs) so I only handle the unit once while traveling.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #22
Krg2383

Thanks everyone. Was thinking just like a cable bike lock but wasn't sure if there was something else to try and use.
Krg2383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
basicaly its a power tester/ filter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+e...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Depends on your definition of filter. It doesn't actually filter as it doesn't alter the power like a power or line conditioner would. It simply monitors the power for a set of conditions/parameters and disconnects the incoming power if it's outside of those preset parameters.

Examples voltage to high or to low it will disconnect.
Wiring issues such as missing neutral or ground, or incorrectly wired like neutral and ground reversed.
A delay before allowing power restoration to protect the a/c compressor from attempting to restart with high head pressures.
Other features may be offered depending upon make/model of unit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:24 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I use an Autoformer, basically a 38 pound potable transformer/surge protector.
For now (because of it's "value") I carry it in a plastic crate and cable lock it to one of my trailer wheels,then slide it underneath the axles and cover it.
A future project is to build a lockable mount on the trailer I-beam near the drivers side rear (where the 50 amp plug is) and reconfigure my power cords (plugs) so I only handle the unit once while traveling.
RMc
I've never locked mine. Typically I'm close enough to set it under one of the slideouts. I've had a couple of folks ask me what it was. I'll tell them what it does and add "oh I forgot, it's got a feature that it's like an electric fence and will electrocute you if you don't know the correct procedure for removing it".

Never had an issue with it walking away.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #25
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Depends on your definition of filter. It doesn't actually filter as it doesn't alter the power like a power or line conditioner would. It simply monitors the power for a set of conditions/parameters and disconnects the incoming power if it's outside of those preset parameters..
thanks for the correction. I was trying to put in simple terms, with google link for more information.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
thanks for the correction. I was trying to put in simple terms, with google link for more information.
The intent wasn't/isn't correction but rather clarification. I try to keep in mind the broader audience if you will of readers. While I may know what the intent is a "newbie" may not. All good.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #27
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK... you hardwire it and go sniffing around for a NEW TO YOU camper and have to uninstall to take it with you? Portable rules, especially if you change campers fairly regularly. I know when my PORTABLE EMS cuts power off to the trailer as my A/C stops running; don't need some app for that!
Our hardwired is four foot of cable from the trailer's power panel, so it protects the cabling from the dungeon to the power reel at the rear corner, the power reel intern connections and brushes, and the cable that feeds out of the power reel to be plugged it.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #28
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've never locked mine. Typically I'm close enough to set it under one of the slideouts. I've had a couple of folks ask me what it was. I'll tell them what it does and add "oh I forgot, it's got a feature that it's like an electric fence and will electrocute you if you don't know the correct procedure for removing it".

Never had an issue with it walking away.
Nice "tactic" there Marshall. I guess I'm a little more anal about locking mine up. For the price I paid (for the Autoformer) I feel a little better locking it up. I know locks can not guarantee security but they can create time that no criminal wants to have against them when speed is their friend.
And as mentioned, I have found some space behind the "J"channel skirting on the drivers side rear where I can mount/weld up a hanging and lockable bracket to the "I' beam and just run cords to the unit instead of jockeying it in and out of a compartment for each set up. It will be out of site,out of weather, easy to access and secure.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Nice "tactic" there Marshall. I guess I'm a little more anal about locking mine up. For the price I paid (for the Autoformer) I feel a little better locking it up. I know locks can not guarantee security but they can create time that no criminal wants to have against them when speed is their friend.
And as mentioned, I have found some space behind the "J"channel skirting on the drivers side rear where I can mount/weld up a hanging and lockable bracket to the "I' beam and just run cords to the unit instead of jockeying it in and out of a compartment for each set up. It will be out of site,out of weather, easy to access and secure.
RMc
Mine is 30 Amp so not to heavy/bulky. Trailer came with power cord in a "mouse hole" where the cord stored in a space under the pantry. When I converted it to a twist lock I mounted the EMS in that space. Plenty of space left over to mount the Autoformer in there but just haven't got to it.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #30
Rber1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Ok I'm clueless. What's an EMS?
This is an EMS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D22F697-126E-4BBB-8942-0FB145CE412C.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	29240  
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
This is an EMS
No it's not. That's a model 44260 which only offers surge protection and visual circuit analysis but is not an EMS.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #32
BrooksFam

RV EMS Vs Surge Protector: Which Is What?
RV EMS (electrical management system)

https://www.palmgear.com/rv-ems-vs-surge-protector/
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post

Thanks Brooks
so I'm guessing the OP was mistaken when they said MES being walked off, they meant the Surge protector we are all referring to. I think we all get the point, well I do.

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #34
BrooksFam

Quote:
Thanks Brooks
so I'm guessing the OP was mistaken when they said MES being walked off, they meant the Surge protector we are all referring to. I think we all get the point, well I do.

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.
There are portable EMS's also.....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=rv+ems...lvar=0&PC=HCTS
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
RV EMS (electrical management system)

I would do more research than the above article, it's misleading. It states that an EMS and surge protector "are both designed to attain the same goal" which is false. It states further that they are designed to protect the RV from "sudden fluctuations in the current" which would be incorrect. A surge protector will protect you from a surge, not low power. The picture they show of a surge protector is a Surge Guard (brand) EMS not a surge protector. Just lots of misleading info there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Brooks

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.
Unfortunately a lot of inexperienced folks look at the two devices and think they have the same functions. The recent offerings of surge protectors that offer a visual indication of some of the faults that an EMS device will PROTECT against just muddies the issue further.

An EMS device can be either permanently mounted inside the camper or portable at the pedestal. The EMS will cost considerably more than a surge protector.

Here's the bottom line...let's say two campers setting side by side one connected to a surge protector and one to an EMS. They both leave and return later. During their absence the voltage drops to say 100 volts.

The camper with the surge protector will have a burned up air conditioner and the control boards in his fridge and water heater burned up and possibly his converter before the Amp load gets high enough to trip the breaker.

The guy with the EMS will have no power until the correct voltage returns but the trailer will not have sustained any damage. For my money this option is well worth the extra cost.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Brooks

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.

In the initial post the OP was concerned about his portable EMS walking off. He posted nothing further that said he had a surge protector. Some things to remember; a surge guard is a surge guard - a device with limited functionalities. A Surge Guard made by Southwire is a brand and can be either an EMS or surge protector.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #38
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krg2383 View Post
Thanks everyone. Was thinking just like a cable bike lock but wasn't sure if there was something else to try and use.
I saw this come by in a sale flyer this week...
Old 08-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #39
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Ok I'm clueless. What's an EMS?

An EMS is a person riding in an ambulance called when you try to swipe the EMS off my power pedestal.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #40
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I saw this come by in a sale flyer this week...

The ad you posted said:

"Made from durable high-quality plastic."

That has to be a joke!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote