Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
TheGambla

TV backer plate in bedroom?

Hello. I have a brand new Passport 2710RBWE. Just picked it up from the dealer yesterday. We want to mount a small TV in the bedroom but I am not sure if there is a backer board or not. On the drivers side of the room, on the ceiling there are hookups (power, ant/sat) but no sticker on the wall saying “Mount TV Here”. The dealer was surprised and could only advise that I have their shop do it. However, I suspect there is a backer somewhere but I don’t want to go drilling holes in my brand new walls. Does anyone have any advise for me?
Thanks,
—Jon
TheGambla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My only advice would be to get in the internet and start looking at photos of "same model/same year" trailers for sale. Usually there's 20-50 photos of each unit and you may luck out and find a photo with the "mount here" decal in place...

Alternatively, use a "stud finder" and start doing some exploring... Eventually, you'll wind up with a "probable location for the mounting plate".. then it's a "leap of faith" to drill very small holes to verify what's behind the luan.

REMEMBER, THE TRAILER WALL IS NO MORE THAN 2" THICK !!!!! So use a 1.5" drill bit !!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
QCMan
Gone Traveling

I did a long search for you and after looking at 30 some odd videos of new units not one had a sticker for the mounting plate. If I were looki.g, I would start tapping on the wall directly under the overhead connections as the factory would put the hookups as close as possible to the plate. Is there a factory option for the second tv? None of the units that showed up had a tv there so maybe you should look at your paperwork and see if it says what size tv can be mounted there.
If you know that, it will indicate how far down the wall the plate could be as the mounts are usually sized to the tv. Good luck and let us know how it works out so others may benefit from your experience.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 AM   #4
Schbobby

Before randomly poking holes in your wall, I would do both the “echo test” and stud finder. Most of these walls you can get a good feel for what is behind them before drilling. Reading these forums even if you have a sticker on the wall it may be off by feet!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
skids

I removed that useless sticker from the wall in the bedroom and it left sticker glue on the wall. The glue did not come off using dish soap. Does anyone have a safe method to remove the glue? I dont want to hurt the wallpaper.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Try this

When all else fails, try good old fashioned masking tape. Not what is called painters tape but the traditional tan paper stuff. Had a Starcraft that had glue on accent material that covered the top six inches of the walls. After about five years it all was curling at the top and bottom edges. The tan tape was tedious but very effective and did no harm to the underlying surface. For just sticker glue it would be an easy task.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom