Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

campground wi-fi & Dish TV

At a campground with very good wi-fi; both 2.4 & 5 gHz signals. To log on with a phone/laptop, etc., you connect then it takes you to a webpage on a browser (doesn't like Chrome so I use IE) and you then put in the campground password.

Having said that, we have Dish TV and it has Netflix as an APP. I can't figure out how to log into the campground wi-fi with Dish TV since there is the intermediate webpage asking for a password. Anyone have an idea on how to log in with Dish?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Is there a settings page on the dish receiver? I don’t have any idea because I have direct.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Hblick48

You need to stream Netflix on a tablet or laptop that can be connected to your flat screen tv. Apple device mirrored on Apple TV or laptop wired to TV via HDMI. Can't connect through dish app since Dish receiver doesn't have a web browser.

Very few RV campground wi-fi setups can support streaming.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Being a long time user of NETFLIX I can only vouch for its services from our experiences.

We have the APP on our cell phones, tablets, lap tops, and desk tops. At home all of those are streaming through our personal router and friends/family that visits us must use our router password for their first log-in (as did we).

On the road, free WiFi is normally just that and without a password requirement. However, RV parks and CGs are becoming very antiquated when it comes to providing WiFi and their routers will require a log-in, especially if they are charging for the streaming services.

Also being a Dish user I'd guess they provided you with the NETFLIX APP with a 1-3 month free usage package when you first logged-in. As far as I know, after initial log-in everything works the same for everyone. Our truck has WiFi and we never have to use a password when using that streaming connection. Maybe it's because we're already logged-in to Bluetooth which also validated the WiFi.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
You need to stream Netflix on a tablet or laptop that can be connected to your flat screen tv. Apple device mirrored on Apple TV or laptop wired to TV via HDMI. Can't connect through dish app since Dish receiver doesn't have a web browser.

Very few RV campground wi-fi setups can support streaming.
Yeah, knew about the HDMI from a laptop thing. I do this when I stream NBA TV onto my big screen at home; used to see all the Spurs games showing on Fox Sports Southwest but Dish and FSW got into a urinary olympics and the channel got dropped. Picked up NBA League Pass and stream or did stream Spurs games. You can do League Pass THROUGH Dish but all the games are blocked (because of Fox Sports SW) and can only be viewed on a delay basis.

Laptop in the camper doesn't have an HDMI port. Also it's wi-fi internal adapter is only 2.4 gHz. We still run Win 7 as Win 10 was a bust as the machine doesn't have enough horsepower.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Laptop in the camper doesn't have an HDMI port. Also it's wi-fi internal adapter is only 2.4 gHz. We still run Win 7 as Win 10 was a bust as the machine doesn't have enough horsepower.
Time to upgrade to a laptop that Microsoft still supports. My wife had a Windows Vista machine that was slower than a snail. Finally talked her into an upgrade. Happy wife...happy life.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
<clip>We still run Win 7 as Win 10 was a bust as the machine doesn't have enough horsepower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Time to upgrade to a laptop that Microsoft still supports. My wife had a Windows Vista machine that was slower than a snail. Finally talked her into an upgrade. Happy wife...happy life.
I have a 17 year-old laptop still running XP, and yes - my beard grows considerably waiting for it to run. I do have to keep that machine around as I have some hardware that I can't get Win10 drivers for and I'd rather not replace perfectly good hardware that serves my purpose if I don't have to. However I also have that device dual-boot to Ubuntu Linux, and it runs like a jackrabbit while using that OS.

Something to consider instead of junking the old computer is perhaps installing as a dual boot some Linux distribution on it so it is still usable for surfing the web, word processing and other tasks.

But by all means consider getting something that will run the latest version of Windows (or WinDoze as in the case of some). It is amazing how inexpensive decent hardware is these days, and Win10 is very similar in look and feel to Win7 so the transition should be relatively easy.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

A cheap wireless router can act as a wifi "extender". You need to logon to the cg with a laptop connected to the router then log the dish or whatever device to your router. Couple of caveats, 1. cheap wifi routers won't have 5 ghz but that frequency is useless at much of any range. 2. the vast majority of cg's wifi in my experience will not support streaming. some with more "modern" systems will just shut down that ip address when you start streaming. 3. You are really "pulling you're pants down" by running an operating system that isn't supported. The hackers will love you for it though.

Now days you buy a fairly capable laptop for $300 running win10.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:05 AM   #9
fatcatzzz

Have you tried to resetup the wifi connection on the receiver? I have ran into this in the past. Run setup for wifi connection, pick campground wifi, it will ask for password. If the wifi connection is setup to login thru web page only you are out of luck. If you have a phone that can be used as a hotspot, then connect the phone using the browser the connect to the phone via the hotspot connection. Once connection has been made you should be able to turn cell data off so you don't use data from your data plan. Some phone do this automatically.
hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground