Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Furnace Failure FYI

This is just for informational purposes. We've had numerous posts about no heat, furnace malfunctions etc. this winter season as usual. Had an incident last night that I thought might be something to tuck away for those new to RV life and "staying warm".

Yesterday checked my LP regulator to see if my LP tank was empty, showed red and time to refill...because I knew it was very near. Still showed white. Did our thing yesterday evening, used the oven to bake clay while everything operated normally. I figured it had switched, I would verify in the AM and get it filled.

About 3am I and DW woke up cold. Figured the thermostat was set low so waited until the furnace would kick in; it never did. At 4:15 got up and checked and the furnace would not come on. Turned off the thermostat and let it and the furnace reset (audible click). Turned furnace back on with thermostat set to a temp where it should run. It kicked the fan it but burner only clicked then quit. I figured the regulator had failed to switch (it has happened before and it was replaced). Got up this morning and checked; sure enough the regulator showed red on the 1st tank. Slowly moved the selector to the other tank and it showed red as well. Went inside and no joy, the stove would not light. Tapped tanks and one sounded empty, the other not. Went through the routine of turning off the tanks, disconnecting the hoses, reconnect and turn on tanks. It still showed red. After 5-10 seconds the regulator started "buzzing - sort of" then stopped and the window went white. Went inside and the stove along with the furnace was running again. I will wait until it empties this tank and see if it fails again. If so, I will replace (I carry a spare in my spare parts box).

Just thought the experience might be helpful to those new to messing with an RV furnace on that night when something fails and you "wake up cold". Just something to have in the back of your mind if the scenario fits.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
jlonginav

I had basically the same experience. I have had the furnace blow for about 10 secs but fail to ignite. Control board and thermostat were replaced. Two nights ago I get the same results. I am suspecting the propane regulator. Perhaps when it switch’s from the empty to full tank the pressure drops enough to trigger the failure

Love to hear the thoughts of others
Old 03-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
66joej

Have you checked the sail switch?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Update

The original post was on my last trailer. I now have the new HC listed in my signature. Strangely....

On PDI my furnace worked fine. Took it home 60 miles, parked it overnite and then pulled it to an RV park to check things out....no furnace. Took it back to dealer and it was a bad board which they replaced on the spot. Now it works. In that conversation with the GM and SM they said they were having lots of failures with the sail switches (all brands), and they set one aside for me, but testing put it in the board....which they said was the 2nd most frequent failure on a new trailer. The words to me were "seems they are having a hard time putting out a functioning unit".....note that that's not about Keystone, it's about the furnace manufacturer that Keystone then has to do warranty for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlonginav View Post
I had basically the same experience. I have had the furnace blow for about 10 secs but fail to ignite. Control board and thermostat were replaced. Two nights ago I get the same results. I am suspecting the propane regulator. Perhaps when it switch’s from the empty to full tank the pressure drops enough to trigger the failure

Love to hear the thoughts of others
My first thought is, is your stove failing too? If it's working, it's probably not your regulator. And if there's some sort of pressure hiccup, running the stove would iron that out.

When my furnace goes out (brought the rig in for its THIRD furnace failure just this morning, still within furnace mfr's 2-year warranty), trying the stove is the first thing I do.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
Keystoned

I got lucky by breaking and making contacts on my limit switch, which was the only one I could get to easily anyway...
Old 03-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
Lee

Something else to consider.... How cold was it the night the furnace quit working?

I ask because each year of Elk camp one of more of our groups LP quits working due to the regulator freezing up.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace