Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
midmo

Stopping for a night while loaded...

Hello all! Quick question for the more experienced TH campers... Can I disconnect my TV from the TH while fully loaded?

This will be my first time traveling with it loaded, so I'm green and looking for advice. Going on a longer trip next year that will require a night or two to get there. During those layover stops, I was wondering if it was safe to disconnect to level everything out. Any precautions I need to take? The thought of driving away from the pin only to see the camper go nose up is a sight I would rather not see.

Will be traveling with our Fuzion 369, no water and 1800lbs of motorcycles in the back.

Thank you for your time and help.
midmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
bsmith0404

You won’t have any problems. Toy haulers are designed pin heavy to offset loads in the garage. Your garage has a load capacity of 3,000 lbs. You are well under that.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
midmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
You won’t have any problems. Toy haulers are designed pin heavy to offset loads in the garage. Your garage has a load capacity of 3,000 lbs. You are well under that.
Thanks for the quick reply... I figured and hoped I was okay but it's nice to hear from experience.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
LewisB

No problems unhooking while loaded. We’ve had two different Raptors and have regularly done that.
Enjoy camping!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
LewisB

BTW if you have hydraulic levelers like “Levelup”, you don’t have to unhook to level. We commonly stay connected and just put the front jacks down for stability. You can also raise the back if necessary - just have to use manual mode (rather than auto-level).
Old 01-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
midmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
BTW if you have hydraulic levelers like “Levelup”, you don’t have to unhook to level. We commonly stay connected and just put the front jacks down for stability. You can also raise the back if necessary - just have to use manual mode (rather than auto-level).
Great tip! Thank you

Being our first toy hauler, I'm always "all ears" for helpful tips and tricks. I appreciate your time.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If you decide to stop for the night at WalMart, Cracker Barrel or one of the other "overnight sleeping allowed" sites, most people try to get close to the curb or perimeter of the parking lot so they can extend slides without blocking traffic. It "sounds great" but if you do park that way, walk around and check to make sure there's no irrigation system nozzle under where the slide will extend... While the bottom of most slides are covered with a waterproof covering, it can make for a sloppy departure and if your slide seals leak, even a little bit, you can wind up with lots of water inside the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
LewisB

Another tip while traveling…

If You’re spending the night in a roadside rest stop (like on the interstate), I’ve been told that if you put stabilizers down they consider it “camping“ which is typically not allowed. So at Roadside rest stops, we tend to not extend the slides anymore than necessary and we do not put down any stabilizers touching the ground. We are just taking a break, doing the safe thing, resting rather than driving tired. I typically sleep in my clothes so that if someone knocks on the door in the middle of the night, we can quickly move in the slides to the closed position, start the truck up and be off and away in under five minutes. We’ve never had any problems doing this, but I like to be prepared for Murphy!

I also have “protection” in the trailer and on my person at all times. Make sure to check the laws for every state you will be visiting; and recognize you probably can’t do this if heading to/through Canada!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
chunker

Having made quite a few cross country trip in both the previous Raptor and more recently the motorhome. First try to park in a site that is reasonably level and there are no firm rules about slides, jacks etc, in these overnight stops. General rule to follow is don't set up camp. No grills, picnic tables etc. set up. Leave no trace you were there. I have put some slides out if it's safe to do so. Best if you can use the side next to a curb. Be careful about having right side items deployed like steps because #1 they could be knocked off, or #2 you could find another vehicle parked so close you can't retract them to depart. Especially a problem with the new trend of solid steps which extend out as much as 4 feet to the side.

Call ahead in the case of Walmart, Cabellas, Cracker Barrel to make sure overnight is allowed and there is room. The all stays app is very useful is planning but might not be the most up to date. Just so you know, the Walmart "free" stop can be one of the most expensive after you go inside get the rotisserie chicken, some adult beverages and other supplies you suddenly realize you need. Enjoy and respect others in the lot.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Key word there is manual mode. Do not use auto level while connected. The first step in the auto level feature is to drop the front end to initiate the leveling process. Obviously you don’t want your truck under the coach when the front drops.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a comment about "hitting autolevel with the tow vehicle attached"....

When you consider that the front landing gear are raised and the tow vehicle carries the "full load" of the pin when towing, then "hitting autolevel" is going to start the process to raise the front landing gear (lower the trailer front)….

My point is that you won't "damage your trailer or tow vehicle" by pressing the autolevel button (WITH THE TOW VEHICLE HITCHED)…

The "potential for damage" comes into play when the tow vehicle is NOT hitched to the trailer, but is parked under the trailer front, so that when autolevel is activated, the front of the trailer can lower and "crush" the truck bed..... That won't happen if the truck/trailer are properly hitched.....

What will happen is the system won't be able to obtain a "reference point" and autolevel won't be accurate....

You won't "crush your truck" by activating "autolevel" if you're properly hitched.

You may, if conditions are right and you're in a steep "nose down" parked attitude, raise the tow vehicle off the ground by the time the trailer is level and "that problem" (being parked beyond a reasonably level position) may cause damage if the trailer/hitch/tow vehicle are placed in a steep angled position by "not paying attention to what you're doing".... YOU (not the system) could damage something by pushing it beyond reason.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

What will happen is the system won't be able to obtain a "reference point" and autolevel won't be accurate....
Exactly. It won’t damage the truck if properly hitched, but must be allowed to lower to initiate the leveling sequence. Along the same lines, hitting auto retract without the TV attached won’t damage anything either, it’ll just drop the nose to the lowest point. I do that when washing the front cap.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 AM   #13
midmo

All great info! I appreciate the time to share your advice and lessons learned. Never stop learning!!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
alfonsi4

What I think is most important... chock your wheels before disconnecting...
alfonsi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
Fuzion 369

No problem at all!!! We load and unload all the time when not hooked up.
Fuzion 369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Another tip while traveling…

If You’re spending the night in a roadside rest stop (like on the interstate), I’ve been told that if you put stabilizers down they consider it “camping“ which is typically not allowed. So at Roadside rest stops, we tend to not extend the slides anymore than necessary and we do not put down any stabilizers touching the ground. We are just taking a break, doing the safe thing, resting rather than driving tired. I typically sleep in my clothes so that if someone knocks on the door in the middle of the night, we can quickly move in the slides to the closed position, start the truck up and be off and away in under five minutes. We’ve never had any problems doing this, but I like to be prepared for Murphy!

I also have “protection” in the trailer and on my person at all times. Make sure to check the laws for every state you will be visiting; and recognize you probably can’t do this if heading to/through Canada!
True, but you also don't need to.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote