Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Being a "victim" of EZ Lube contamination, I can say that spending 3 days in Dickinson, North Dakota, waiting for brake parts to come UPS (nobody in town stocks trailer parts and the nearest place that does (that we could find) was in Bismark, 100 miles "back". And, they said they'd have to match them up, but thought they had 4 in stock, and they didn't have the replacement magnets, so I wouldn't be able to actually "fix" the brakes, just patch them up. So, waiting for UPS in the middle of NOWHERE on the side of the road (actually in a campground) with reservations in Cody that were "clicking away at our vacation" is NOT the fun way to spend travel time.

After cleaning all the hubs, installing new brake assemblies, packing the bearings and installing new seals, we were "on the road again".... Total time, 3 days in an expensive "hole in the wall campground" while paying for "a very expensive site" that we weren't using, parts and about 10 rolls of paper towels and 5 cans of brake cleaner later, I estimated that using the EZ Lube system actually saved me about an hour but cost me well over $750. Even at my "then working labor rate" I seldom made $750 an hour, so...

Doing the math, the EZ Lube system "sucks for saving anything"..... YMMV
John I found the same issue on all 4 brakes with only about 5000 miles on them that the factory or the delivery driver must have squirted grease in the EZ lube zerks, but fortunately we had made it to our destination. Mine was up on the hydraulic levelers for 4 days, with no wheels/tires, waiting on new backing plates, good thing was they reimbursed me for all the parts, but offered nothing for my labor.
While it was apart waiting I upgraded to the MorRyde heavy shackles w/ wet bolts & all new bronze bushings, an upgrade every RV owner should consider. While doing so on this 9 month old RV weighing 16.5k with approximately 5k miles I found they used plastic bushings in all the spring eyes that were already shredded & the paper thin shackles the bolt holes were already dangerously elongated, so I guess the brake issue was a blessing in disguise.
My recommendation is NEVER use the EZ lube feature on any trailer that have brakes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote