Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #21
kayakjim

Oh No. I had a hose come apart the other day. what a mess. I use clear 4" extensions on each of my connections so I can see what is there before I remove the cap and also see what is flowing out. Not that I enjoy watching what is coming out, but I get a good idea on how well things flushed.
kayakjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #22
wobly

Way back when we had our first trailer in 2008, I bought the heaviest duty hose I could find. We are now 3 trailers down the road after that, but, of course, we keep moving our stuff to the new trailers...including the hose.
Over the 4th of July weekend, we were at a State Park that only had electricity. So, we had to hit the dump station on the way out. There are no water hoses at this dump station. After watching the guy in front of us and chortling to ourselves at his "newness", it was our turn. There was a guy in the opposite side and a guy behind me. I whipped everything out like an expert and got it all hooked up like I knew what I was doing. We even have the extra dump valve for safety. Checked everything out, ensured the hose is hooked up, pulled the black tank valve, pulled the safety dump valve open and WOOOSH! The flow blew the hose off the pegs and the black tank contents started to go everywhere!
I hit the safety valve to close it while standing in a pool of waste that I shouldn't have been standing in. The guy opposite to me helpfully said "Use the gray water to flush the area when you are done". Needless to say, I was embarrassed.

Turns out that our wonderful old hose had worn the locking nub "tightness" off the inside of the lugs and that allowed the hose to blow off the clear adapter. I replaced the hose.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #23
DarkElf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Cool Device. Much less expensive here:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Blac...SIN=B000BGHYJS
DarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #24
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkElf View Post
Cool Device. Much less expensive here:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Blac...SIN=B000BGHYJS
Strange, both those links go to the same amazon.ca page, not amazon.com when I click them. It looks like I am finally seeing that amazon feature that translates a foreign link into a native link. Cool.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #25
sonofcy

While we are on the topic of sewer hoses, has anyone heard of a device to lock those bayonet fasteners on. I have had more than one slip off those so called locking nubs. I am actually tempted to just drive a screw through the plastic ring on the outside and just biting into the inside. That way it won't turn but is easy to free up.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
While we are on the topic of sewer hoses, has anyone heard of a device to lock those bayonet fasteners on. I have had more than one slip off those so called locking nubs. I am actually tempted to just drive a screw through the plastic ring on the outside and just biting into the inside. That way it won't turn but is easy to free up.
A 3" band clamp worked for me!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #27
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow. I can see it working on the extra gate valves, but the clear cleanout looks to have at least one tab that is thicker and narrow. I will update after giving it a try.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #28
LewisB

If you have about 3" of extra length in your sewer line and are willing to cut the line with a hacksaw, you can use a less expensive alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't want my sewer lines "sticking out" even farther, so I went with this option. This glues in place and can't be "borrowed", allows the addition of a valve without extending the overall length of your sewer line, allows the valve to be replaced in the future as necessary, and eliminates one extra "twist lock" fitting as a future failure point. While it is about 20% cheaper, it also requires a small can of ABS cement, so it is probably a push on cost.

Just an alternative...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow. I can see it working on the extra gate valves, but the clear cleanout looks to have at least one tab that is thicker and narrow. I will update after giving it a try.
Place it just past the nubs on the long ears of whatever you're adding, had mine held on like that for 6+ years & never a problem.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #30
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Exactly, I took it a step further, I gorilla glued, gorilla taped, and then banded ..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post

Exactly, I took it a step further, I gorilla glued, gorilla taped, and then banded ..
I thought that I might want to remove it at some point, so just used the clamp.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #32
GlampingHippie

Oh dear! Hubby had this happen to him for the first time this past weekend too.
I did my very best to keep the toilet shower jokes to a minimum, but did make him undress and hose off in the dog kennel once we got home.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:57 AM   #33
bobnelms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
I ALSO HAVE THE EXTERNAL VALVE my black tank valve would not hold I ended up putting electric valves in
Frederick, I've never heard of electric valves. Could you say more -- what was the make, etc?
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:59 AM   #34
bobnelms

No I did not get sick. I immediately washed off the stuff from my arms and hands and then immediately sprayed them with Lysol -- the only thing that was in reach. I was expecting to get sick, but didn't -- thank God.
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Frederick, I've never heard of electric valves. Could you say more -- what was the make, etc?
Here's the 1st one that popped up on Amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/Barker-24130-...7465778&psc=1#
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #36
KOZKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Well, I made the mistake that everyone dreads. I knew better, but it happened anyway and I still have nightmares about it.

I went to a state park. At the end of the 4-day stay, I pulled my 5th wheel over to the dump station. I positioned the sewer drain exactly opposite to the sewer opening at the dump station. I ran my sewer line from the dump station opening and got ready to attach it to the sewer drain on my 5th wheel.

I pulled the plug on the drain line and WHOOOOOSSSSHHHH. Out came volumes and volumes of raw sewage. It immediately engulfed both my arms and hands (yes I had on gloves but it got into the gloves).

As fast as possible, I connected my sewer line to the 5th wheel -- but it was hard to do with all the effluent discharging so fast. Finally I hooked it up -- after about 30 seconds.

I ran to the dump station water line and washed off my arms and hands as best as possible -- but there was 20 gallons of raw sewage all over the dump station pad.

I used a hose to dry to push all the effluent into the dump sewer, but it had spread so far that I couldn't get it all.

DISASTER.

Why did this happen? Well, during the last camping trip after draining the black and grey water tanks, I forgot to close the valves!! I didn't know it because the valves are hidden (2016 Cougar 5th wheel) under a lid.

Pitiful.
Been there, done that! Sorry to hear someone else made the same a mistake! I swear I check the valve 10 times before I touch that cap or before I leave a site now

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote