Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I suppose there's two schools of thought:

The vacation begins when you get there.
The vacation begins when you leave home.

Depending on which you choose, the travel is/is not a part of the overall experience. For many years when I was in the Air Force, we had a "destination centered focus". We'd pass by things we wanted to see, but didn't have time to stop and enjoy them. Many we made mental notes to "go back someday and check them out"... We're now at the stage of our life where we're doing just that. One mistake we won't make "this time around" is to make those mental notes of things we wanted to see but don't have time... For us, there may not be another opportunity, so if we see "the world's biggest ball of string" or "Free apple pie with every meal" or "the worlds best tossed rolls", well, now is the time to find out.....

XXXX2!! I think many, if not most, do the get there, it went by but don't know what it was, kind of thing when younger; I did. Never thought about the ability to spend the time to "stop and smell the roses" - I didn't have time....I had a "destination". In retrospect, some of those trips might have been more "fun" if more time was spent when on the road. On the other hand, if that had been done we would never have achieved our objective. Now, the only reason to run full tilt to get somewhere is due to lack of planning. I still, to this day, have a very hard time trying to stop the "got to get there now" mentality...it's been in me for all my life. I have made strides to just "take it as it comes"...it is wonderful. I would strongly urge anyone traveling to try to take the time required to see what's there; at some point I'm not sure you will have the ability to "revisit" what you just missed. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #22
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I still, to this day, have a very hard time trying to stop the "got to get there now" mentality...
Hmmm,
Although we try to keep our traveling days short, to around 300ish miles if possible, I realise that when we hit the road, we still "hit the road" to get there rather than stop and see things on the way.
However, in our defense, it's not always possible to make a stop to "get that free apple pie" with a 30' trailer in tow. We have some friends who travel in a class C who do just that though. They just meander and stop if they see something interesting.
Maybe we went the wrong way with the TV and TT instead of the camper?

Nah, I don't think so!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #23
notanlines

Scott wrote "getting there is as much fun as being there," Danny wrote "I'm wore out & my cheeks are numb," John wrote "No longer do we travel heads down, full speed ahead," and we subscribe to all of the above. All I have to do is come into the room, look at DW and say "Road trip" and she'll be packed in ten minutes. We did exactly what the rest of you did for 25 years. Our in-laws were 1000 miles away and we went wallys to the wall there and back.
Dave, you're headed to the UP from Arizona, but I'm afraid the whole world will pass you by, or the other way around.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #24
gearhead

I'm trying to force myself to slow down. We're heading back east "one more time". I'm going to use the Natchez Trace to slow myself down. Leaving very early April for the Richmond NASCAR race 13/14th. I'm already thinking that's not soon enough. And, I'm nowhere near ready.
I try to keep around 6 hours per Google which becomes 7 or 8 with lunch and fuel stops.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #25
JackTyniec

Travel Time/Distance

We generally stay between 250 & 300 mI./day but might push to 350 if needed. We're retired so we plan on traveling only 6 hours per day. Years ago we might have done 4-500 miles but that's too tedious & stressful. We don't unhitch for overnight stays and like to break camp & set up in daylight. Safe travels.
JackTyniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #26
Javi

Well I ain't retired yet... and we live in Texas where it's 800 miles to the county line, so we drive till we get there...

My retirement party has already been planned for noon on the day of my funeral.. [emoji16]
Old 03-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #27
goodellj

Our general rule is 300 miles. I find that driving with the trailer is tiring and a lot of work, and I am ready to quit for the day at 300 miles. Da Wife doesn't drive with the trailer at all. We usually plan for more or less mileage depending on what kind of area we are driving through. Straight rural interstate driving we can do more (like 350) and for metropolitan areas like the northeast we plan on 225 to 250 miles.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #28
Hamlej

250-300 Then it’s Miller Time.
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
Hoodlatch

Wow must be nice having time. I can’t buy it.
Usually 5 hours towing or less because we stick that close to home. 14+ hour tows are common on big trips. This summer we will leave Pittsburgh for Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone. Leave at 1am, first night stop will be just inside South Dakota.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #30
Hamlej

Being retired has its advantages. I drove over the road for a living and put in 10-12 hour days pounding out the mileage. Now it’s time to enjoy the experience of traveling. It really boils down to where you have to be and how much time you have to get there.
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
CaptnJohn

We are retired so time is what we have. I'm most comfortable with 350 - 400 miles daily. Not tired, plenty of set up time. Recently, 820 was pleasant with wife and dogs sleeping.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #32
Fsjac

Smile

We drive for 6-8 hours max.
Fsjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #33
Travelinlou

Mile Traveled per day

On average we traveled about 250 miles or 4 to 5 hours, max.

We did over 10, 000 miles in 4.5 months in 2018, roughly following these travel patterns.

Good travels
Travelinlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #34
DonnieBlitz

It really depends on how hard the driving is....are you getting a constant direct crosswind? is traffic really congested? is it raining? We pulled out of Piedmont SD last summer and didn't stop until Albert Lea...but that was easy driving. Now when we leave home and have to get through PA or past Richmond we don't go near as far. Try not to ever drive tired that is the key I have found.
DonnieBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #35
Rosabear

We try not to travel > 250 miles per day and stop by 2-3 pm. There have been days we've traveled 400 however, those days are few. If we're leaving again in the morning we never unhook. Safe travels!
Rosabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #36
larryflew

have been curious since I mentioned my wife also drives how many couples do that? Talking to the people we winter with in AZ I'm guessing most wives don't share the driving. Ironically my wife never pulled our 28 foot travel trailer but actually likes pulling the 5th wheel.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #37
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
have been curious since I mentioned my wife also drives how many couples do that? Talking to the people we winter with in AZ I'm guessing most wives don't share the driving. Ironically my wife never pulled our 28 foot travel trailer but actually likes pulling the 5th wheel.
I’m the wife. I have always done all the driving pulling the camper, horse trailer, and the other trailers for the past 10 years or so. Mainly because the hubby has Parkinson’s and doing any driving hurts his wrists, hands too much. But I also enjoy driving, so it’s not a hardship at all.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #38
POBOYPCB

Wink 250-4 "rule"

We're old! So we try to stop at 250 miles or 4:00 PM, whichever comes first.
Occasionally we break the rule!:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #39
david5311

How do you find a place to stop and eat lunch? Can’t just stop anywhere with a 40’ 5th wheel. We just retired and have not made a trip yet. We have been going places on airplane,ie Hawaii etc.
david5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #40
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5311 View Post
How do you find a place to stop and eat lunch? Can’t just stop anywhere with a 40’ 5th wheel. We just retired and have not made a trip yet. We have been going places on airplane,ie Hawaii etc.
Most rest stops have pretty nice picnic areas if you want to stop, but what we do often on our long trips is pack sandwiches or lunchables, get them out of the fridge at a rest stop and eat on the road. We get enough rest break taking turns to the restrooms, letting the truck idle while I go in first, and walking the dogs while DW goes in.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote