Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Pull Toy

FORD Factory TPMS?

My '16 F-350 threw a TPMS "Low Tire Pressure" warning when our locals dropped to 8 degrees. I re-pressurized fronts to 65 psi, and rears to 80 psi. (All four were down 6# +/-) . According to Ford Manual "2 minutes at 20+ mph" should reset dash light. NOT! Even after 30 minute trip at hwy speed. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if "full size spare" has a TPMS? I'd hate to drop it for nothing.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Javi

My '15 did not.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
vampress_me

I do not know if the spare has a TPMS in it, but I have had a little experience with the low pressure warning when we had our 2009 F-350. It would throw a low pressure warning a few times every winter when it would get down to about 10 degrees (but not consistently). And I never did have a low pressure in any tire. Sadly, I learned to ignore it since it happened quite regularly and the only way to get the warning to go off was to take to the dealer to reset the TPMS in each individual tire with their handheld “thingie”.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Javi

One point... if you've rotated the tires and have not reset the individual TPMS it will throw the code.

Look in your manual for the procedure, it is easy but takes a few minutes to process.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My 2010 F150 and neither my 2013 or 2015 SuperDuty have a TPMS in the spare tire. That said, you may have a defective valve stem ??? There is a battery in the valve stem that sends a signal to the computer. The valve stem is "supposed to" shut off after a few minutes of no tire rotation. If that sensor doesn't function and the valve stem is "on full time" it will run the battery down in about 5 or 6 months. If the computer doesn't get a signal from every wheel, it will "fault" the TPMS indicating "no signal" or "low signal" which looks the same on the dash as "low tire pressure".

As for the "reset tool", you can buy one from Amazon for about $25 or sometimes you can find them on EBay for a little less. It's a handy tool to have, especially if you rotate your tires at home and run 80 PSI in the rear and 65PSI in the front.....
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-8C2Z-1A2...pms+reset+tool

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
FlyingAroundRV

This happened to us also. As John said, we run 80 in the rears and 65 in the fronts. Shortly after we got the truck we had it serviced and the dealer rotated the tires, but not the pressure nor the TPMS training.
Once the alert has activated for more than a certain number of miles, it becomes (semi) permanent according to my dealer and has to be reset by the dealer.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

My Spare in my 17 did not have TMPS

In fact have a different tire/wheel all together for spare now.

I rotate my own tires all the time, didn’t know that you had to reset anything, never had a code.

I did reset limits on pressures as running 65-80 psi non loaded wears tires out. I run 50-55 front 40-45 rear.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #8
notanlines

Neither our 2014 nor our 2016 F350 Fords have TPMS in the spare. And yes, the spare is a steel wheel with 18" Michelin tire.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #9
Dave W

The only sucessful way to relearn the TPMS codes on each wheel position is to use their reset tool. I tried their way as shown in the owner's manual numerous times before purchasing the tool. I gave up after talking to a Ford tech that said the manual's way seldom worked and bought the tool. I currently have a 'code' on my Ford that happened a few days ago that will be 'fixed' today.

You will also need to download the instructions via the internet

Update: Oh crud! 3 of 4 retrained. The 4th is a dead TPMS sender which means I need to break down a tire from the wheel and install a new one - or pay the stealership a hundred bucks or so
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
The only sucessful way to relearn the TPMS codes on each wheel position is to use their reset tool. I tried their way as shown in the owner's manual numerous times before purchasing the tool. I gave up after talking to a Ford tech that said the manual's way seldom worked and bought the tool. I currently have a 'code' on my Ford that happened a few days ago that will be 'fixed' today.

You will also need to download the instructions via the internet

Update: Oh crud! 3 of 4 retrained. The 4th is a dead TPMS sender which means I need to break down a tire from the wheel and install a new one - or pay the stealership a hundred bucks or so
Discount tire
Old 11-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I had the low psi light on for nearly 2 years on a 2008 f250. No big deal, looking at the tires will tell you if you need air. I aired mine down due to no load carrying and ford would not reset them. Driving on gravel/dirt etc. at 80 psi rear and 65 psi in the front will cause and did cause loss of steering and braking. All the fleet vehicles a 100 or so of did the same for safety.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If one sensor has a dead battery, chances are that the others will also fail before too long. You can buy new replacements on EBay for about $35 for 4. I'm sure there are other places that are cheaper, there's some "used/remanufactured" ones on EBay for about $6 each, but who knows how long a used part will last?

Anyway, here's one source on EBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Fo....c100005.m1851

I'd go anywhere before going to the dealership for that kind of service. If you bought the tires at Discount or WalMart and have the "lifetime service/balance" contract, they'll probably replace the TPMS valve stem without charge if you take in the part.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Discount tire
No Discount Tire anywhere near me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If one sensor has a dead battery, chances are that the others will also fail before too long. You can buy new replacements on EBay for about $35 for 4. I'm sure there are other places that are cheaper, there's some "used/remanufactured" ones on EBay for about $6 each, but who knows how long a used part will last?

Rubber valve stems wont go on my truck which has OEM metal. I just ordered some VDO units, 2 for $60 bucks on Amazon. I only want to do this once and ebay cheap doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy as 'real' Motorcraft are at about $50 net/each
Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the Ford IPB, the part number for our (your truck and mine) TPMS valve stems is 9L3Z-1A189-A. That is a rubber covered metal valve stem core. We're probably saying the same thing using different words, but EBay has the OEM 9L3Z-1A189-A valve stems, 4 for $42.

Here's the Ford parts breakdown: https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ber=9l3z1a189a

And the EBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-OEM-G...c0d:rk:12:pf:0

Amazon has the same stems for $26 each, but I'm not one to donate to the world's richest man when I can buy the same OEM stem cheaper from someone else: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-...s=9L3Z-1A189-A

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
According to the Ford IPB, the part number for our (your truck and mine) TPMS valve stems is 9L3Z-1A189-A. That is a rubber covered metal valve stem core. We're probably saying the same thing using different words, but EBay has the OEM 9L3Z-1A189-A valve stems, 4 for $42.

[B]Nope - they are OEM and all meta[. The ones on the 5er are rubber covered metal though/B]

Here's the Ford parts breakdown: https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ber=9l3z1a189a

And the EBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-OEM-G...c0d:rk:12:pf:0

Amazon has the same stems for $26 each, but I'm not one to donate to the world's richest man when I can buy the same OEM stem cheaper from someone else: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-...s=9L3Z-1A189-A

YMMV
I'll do my donations to Mr Bezos. Can't say I like him or his business or political practices but sometimes Amazon just works better for me then wandering the local streets and roads
Old 11-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I'll do my donations to Mr Bezos. Can't say I like him or his business or political practices but sometimes Amazon just works better for me then wandering the local streets and roads
Living "in the woods" we make our regular donations to his wealth. Considering that it's 20 miles to WalMart and the local stores, going to town, shopping, not finding what we need and/or having to order it and go back to pick it up, that makes "local shopping" a two trip event. That's 80 miles and 3-4 days for the items to arrive. So, donating to Amazon's 2 day PRIME shipping program makes many items cheaper than local purchases.

There's much to be said about his business model, convenience being a prime motivator for us.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
Leencharlotte

When tires rotated they should reprogram them but some places dont.
To reset
Remove all valve caps (this method is time sensitive
Turn key to acc position and hit the hazards on/off 3-4x until horn honks
Immediately go to driver fron tire and press valve stem to release air until horn honks then proceed tk passenger side front release air until horn honks, repeat for passenger rear, then driver rear. When return to truck it should have message of programmed success

Refill tires to desired psi. I have had horn hink quickly and have had to drain 5-6 lb. I believe this all has to be done within 1-2 mins
Leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leencharlotte View Post
To reset
Immediately go to driver fron tire and press valve stem to release air until horn honks then proceed tk passenger side front release air until horn honks, repeat for passenger rear, then driver rear. When return to truck it should have message of programmed success

Refill tires to desired psi. I have had horn hink quickly and have had to drain 5-6 lb. I believe this all has to be done within 1-2 mins
This "process in owner patience" is the reason I bought the Ford "single button" reprogrammer. No need to go through all the "air exchanges" and ignition switch/hazard switch timing"... Much easier and, at least for me, well worth the $25 I paid for the reprogrammer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leencharlotte View Post
To reset

That has to be the most bizarre reprogramming sequence ever devised! Who dreams up this stuff? It must be some frustrated Microsoft employee. It's like Ctrl/Alt/Delete with a half twist and a gainer thrown in for good measure.
Do you have to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? :-)
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
That has to be the most bizarre reprogramming sequence ever devised! Who dreams up this stuff? It must be some frustrated Microsoft employee. It's like Ctrl/Alt/Delete with a half twist and a gainer thrown in for good measure.
Do you have to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? :-)
It wasn't as bad as it sounds... The flasher thingy is once, not for every wheel... Took me less than 5 minutes the first time... only had to do it once every 7500 miles when I had the tires rotated...

Don't have that problem now with the dually... no TPMS

Tags
ford