Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
Stircrazy

issue with water taste

Hi, so I am having an issue with the taste of the water for the first couple minutes after I open the tap. this is only when I am hooked up to the city supply. if I turn the tap off and turn on the pump from my tank the water is fine.

now the first thing that came to mind is the hose. although it was the same hose that I used with my previous trailer and I never had an issue I bought another one. same issue so I spent some money and bought a more expensive one and same issue. from the point where the hose screws into the inlet there is a chunk of hose attached to the back of that which ties into the cold water pex, so about a 2 foot section. if I let the water run till it is fine and shut it off a hour or so later the taste will be back.

any ideas?

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

I use a filter and then when I want to drink the water or use it for coffee, we bought a Britta filter thing that is supposed to take all bad/nasty out of the water and even my miserable well water is OK after the Britta. The outside filter can be had at Walmart, etc and is just used inline with the hose.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Bontz

We typically only use the city hook up for non-consumption - washing dishes, hands, showers, toilet. For coffee we normally just bring a couple gallons of drinking water, and we also have a case of bottled water. I do have a filter, just like wiredgeorge referred to, and we WILL use that on occasion. But for the most part, we just simply don't use the water through the faucets for consumption.

As far as the smell/taste, that does seem odd that it goes away ... but then comes back if you don't use the water for a while. Is it cold & hot, or just one? I've had the rotten smell before and just cleaned the water system & we were fine after that. But that rotten smell never went away when we had it - it was persistent until I cleaned the water system.
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
Hi, so I am having an issue with the taste of the water for the first couple minutes after I open the tap. this is only when I am hooked up to the city supply. if I turn the tap off and turn on the pump from my tank the water is fine.

now the first thing that came to mind is the hose. although it was the same hose that I used with my previous trailer and I never had an issue I bought another one. same issue so I spent some money and bought a more expensive one and same issue. from the point where the hose screws into the inlet there is a chunk of hose attached to the back of that which ties into the cold water pex, so about a 2 foot section. if I let the water run till it is fine and shut it off a hour or so later the taste will be back.

any ideas?

Steve
From your description I would say it's the hose. If you have an initial taste/smell and it goes away after a couple of minutes, then returns after it has sat awhile - that's what happens when the water sits in your hose and it imparts a smell/taste. Buy a water filter (you can get them at Walmart) and put it at the END of the hose at the trailer....not the faucet. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Bisjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bontz View Post
We typically only use the city hook up for non-consumption - washing dishes, hands, showers, toilet. For coffee we normally just bring a couple gallons of drinking water, and we also have a case of bottled water. I do have a filter, just like wiredgeorge referred to, and we WILL use that on occasion. But for the most part, we just simply don't use the water through the faucets for consumption.

As far as the smell/taste, that does seem odd that it goes away ... but then comes back if you don't use the water for a while. Is it cold & hot, or just one? I've had the rotten smell before and just cleaned the water system & we were fine after that. But that rotten smell never went away when we had it - it was persistent until I cleaned the water system.
Same here, you never know what the source of the city water could be, well, aquifer, snowmelt. We keep about a gallon a day of bottled water for drinking and coffee/tea. If it goes away then comes back it seems like the water is absorbing the smell/taste from sitting in the hose, especially if warm outside. Is it a hose made for RV water supply? I would also consider the possibility of something having gotten into the connector, if maybe the cap was left off.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Pull Toy

Usually a good quality white "Drinking water safe" hose has no taste, nor should the Pex.

Have you considered the water source? Fill a jug right from the spigot, let sit out for a while in the sun, then smell and taste it. I remember as a kid, parts of central PA had so much sulpher in the dug wells, you couldn't or wouldn't drink it. They used to call it "Horse Water", all it was fit for was watering livestock, gardens, and such.

If the problem is the water taste right from the spigot, one answer is to use a household size charcoal canister filter. They have a bigger capacity than the camper units. You can buy hose thread ends that will screw right into the filter ends. When needed I put the pressure regulator first, then the filter, then the hose. That way the water is treated before filling the hose.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
AbHDToyHauler

Also. Do the sanitzing thing. Yes you sanitize your tank (or at least you should LOL) but that little bit doesn't get sanitized as it's not part of the on board tank system. What is the taste ? Like rubber (hose) or ???
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Also. Do the sanitzing thing. Yes you sanitize your tank (or at least you should LOL) but that little bit doesn't get sanitized as it's not part of the on board tank system. What is the taste ? Like rubber (hose) or ???
its hard to describe. I was thinking of pumping a little bleach water into that fill and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours then when I hook up Ill see if I still have it.

I do use a filter on questionable water sources, I am going to hard mount it in the RV so that will eliminate any hose issues which I don't think it is now as I never had this issue in my old trailer and I am not buying cheep hoses.

I just need to figure out how to get some bleach into that fitting now.....

thanks

Steve
Old 07-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

I just need to figure out how to get some bleach into that fitting now.....

Steve
The water filter element could be moldy or filled with "trapped particles" that are shedding the off taste, so you might consider replacing the filter core. Ours will grow mold if we leave it filled with water (or wet) and stored in the front bay of the trailer. I remove the element and let it dry if it will be stored for a long time. For week to week use, we just put the entire filter assembly in the freezer at home (after we empty it of most water). It thaws on the way to the first campground on each trip.

As for how to get bleach in the water system. Hold one end of the hose about a foot above the ground, put a funnel in the other end, hold it about 2' above the ground and fill the hose with bleach. Then lift the entire hose as you connect the trailer end. After that, connect the faucet end and turn on the water. It will push the bleach into the PEX plumbing runs. For the water heater, the easiest way is to remove the pressure relief, pour the bleach into the tank and replace the pressure relief valve.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The water filter element could be moldy or filled with "trapped particles" that are shedding the off taste, so you might consider replacing the filter core. Ours will grow mold if we leave it filled with water (or wet) and stored in the front bay of the trailer. I remove the element and let it dry if it will be stored for a long time. For week to week use, we just put the entire filter assembly in the freezer at home (after we empty it of most water). It thaws on the way to the first campground on each trip.

As for how to get bleach in the water system. Hold one end of the hose about a foot above the ground, put a funnel in the other end, hold it about 2' above the ground and fill the hose with bleach. Then lift the entire hose as you connect the trailer end. After that, connect the faucet end and turn on the water. It will push the bleach into the PEX plumbing runs. For the water heater, the easiest way is to remove the pressure relief, pour the bleach into the tank and replace the pressure relief valve.

never been and issue I put new elements in a couple times a summer.

I figured to get the bleach in I would just pump it so I built a set up using a small Rv pump and some hose. I put a cup of bleach in 4 gal of water and pumped all my lines full. tomorrow Ill rinse them all out when I set up in langly.

Steve
Old 07-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Do you have this experience at different camp grounds at different times? One thing I always do is to turn the spigot on and flush it for a time before hooking up my hose. I have seen some nasty rusty water shoot out for the first few seconds, especially if no one has been on that site for awhile.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:28 AM   #12
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Do you have this experience at different camp grounds at different times? One thing I always do is to turn the spigot on and flush it for a time before hooking up my hose. I have seen some nasty rusty water shoot out for the first few seconds, especially if no one has been on that site for awhile.
at ever campground , every time it has sat for a bit.

the weaker bleach solution helped a lot, so I will be doing a 10% sanitizing solution this fall and see if that totally fixes it for next season.

thanks

Steve
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

any ideas?

Steve
Price is not always an indication of quality. Most hoses are rated as "drinking safe" if the ends are soldered with lead free solder. If it only acquires and undesirable taste after some time I would suggest connecting the hose to the supply with a valve on the end and wait the typical time it takes to get the taste. Turn the valve on and take a drink, if no taste then it's in the camper plumbing, if the taste is apparent then it's the hose.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Price is not always an indication of quality. Most hoses are rated as "drinking safe" if the ends are soldered with lead free solder. If it only acquires and undesirable taste after some time I would suggest connecting the hose to the supply with a valve on the end and wait the typical time it takes to get the taste. Turn the valve on and take a drink, if no taste then it's in the camper plumbing, if the taste is apparent then it's the hose.
now that's a good idea. I will try all three of my hoses to make sure that isnt contributing at all.

thanks

Steve
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
BadmanRick

I see in your statement there is a short section of hose between the outside connector and the rest of the water system. This may be your problem. As small as it is it could be adding bad taste to your system. If it is a garden hose type this will add bad taste. I would change that hose or take the camper to the dealer and have them check it out. If you have room I would add home style filters into the system.
We use a blue Camco drinking water hose and Camco water filter. I install the filter at the camper outside hose connector between the camper and the spigot.
If you follow this procedure and you still have bad taste then something in the water system inside the camper is causing the problem.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
buffalobillh

We had that issue when we bought ours used (it was 6mo old and looked like it had never been used). Troubleshooting was pretty easy. I had already purchased the proper "white" hoses plus an inline filter, and they looked and smelled fine. I sanitized the system, and we were good to go. No problems after that. It's easy to do, the water has no odor, it's safe to drink, and you have peace of mind.

Thankfully, all the main points to troubleshoot are not complicated, and they are very inexpensive to fix:

Proper drinking water hoses in good condition
Proper filtration with fresh filter element
Sanitize the system

buffalobillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #17
Wingerdinger

Sanitize your whole water system

I'd try a different hose first. Use an RV hose. Stuff builds up in the hose, and leaches into the water.. once you use it, it's fresh til you leave it sit again.
This could be happening anywhere in your water system.
Perhaps sanitize your whole water system, starting right at the hose inlet. Pour a proper bleach solution through your hose. and flush it through. Let it sit for a few hours if you can, with the bleach solution in it.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 AM   #18
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
I'd try a different hose first. Use an RV hose. Stuff builds up in the hose, and leaches into the water.. once you use it, it's fresh til you leave it sit again.
This could be happening anywhere in your water system.
Perhaps sanitize your whole water system, starting right at the hose inlet. Pour a proper bleach solution through your hose. and flush it through. Let it sit for a few hours if you can, with the bleach solution in it.
as I mentioned in the original post this is my third RV hose with the same issue so I am fairly confidant it isnt the supply hoses. I did put a 5% bleach solution in there and let it sit for 25 hours. this helped immensely, so I am suspecting it is something in the connection hose from the city water attachment to the cold water pex inside. ill see if it comes back and if so Ill do a stronger sanitization.

Steve

Tags
water