Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Kevin Barry

Moldy Canopy

I recently rolled out our canopy on our 2016 Springdale and it was apparently wet the last time it was rolled up. It now has black stains, mold? What is the best way to get this cleaned up?
Kevin Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Northofu1

Chlorine bleach will help lessen stain, of you go to a swimming pool store and buy, as small a jug as you can, of sodium hypochlorite, that works best. Wear your PPE and an old shirt. Sodium hypochlorite has a 12 to 13 % strength, household bleach is around 3%.
The only thing that kills mold is hydrogen peroxide. The bleach will definitly lessen the staining, it's what I used on my awning last week.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Sunnysidebeach

I use TSP (or simple green) and chlorine from swimming pool supply or Hardware store, and if I don't have that I use common bleach, but I use more of it.
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Barry View Post
I recently rolled out our canopy on our 2016 Springdale and it was apparently wet the last time it was rolled up. It now has black stains, mold? What is the best way to get this cleaned up?
Just did ours. 1/4 cup bleach plus 1/4 cup Dawn into 3 or so gallons water. Apply to both top and underside of awning, roll up, leave for 1/2 hr., unroll, lightly scrub any spots not already removed, hose down, leave to air dry. You will see all signs of mould gone.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Everytime it gets rained on the water goes through the rolled up awning trust me I know 33 inches of rain a year here. The RV is in my driveway, I go out and open it up when possible just to dry it out year round.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
Frank G

We wash ours every 6 months or so with rv wash and wax, the black spots come right off. I would only use chlorine as a last resort.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
GHen

Ken is right on, I get water in mine even when the awning is not open. This morning was nice weather, so I went to the storage unit and opened the awnings for about 30 minutes. Try to do that every month weather permitting.

Also be careful mixing anything with bleach water, if you must, only do that outside with lots of ventilation. Some cleaning products cause the bleach water to release the chlorine into the air. Very bad for everyone.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
rogeru

I have been doing battle with the underside of our awning also. Believe it or not, I have found that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleans EVERYTHING off. I buy mine in bulk, on Amazon. 100 "generic" pads for $29.95. Yes, it takes a lot of time, but your won't have to deal with chemicals in your face. Just sayin'.....
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Bisjoe

Which way does it roll? I noticed recently that if you let it go all the way out and don't stop it will roll back up the other way, so that the "in" button actually rolls it out. When done correctly ours is rolled with the awning covering itself, and tight enough that it stays dry inside. On our last trip we got rain, and I opened it when we got home the next day and had sun. Over the fall and winter (uncovered) we had no moisture inside, and no mold. In our wet climate I won't open it if there is any chance of rain. It's useless as protection from rain, water accumulates near the bottom, apparently just meant as a sun shade.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
bspiek

Mine has a bit of mildew stains and a bunch of squished bugs....if I show my wife this I'm gonna hafta clean it....
bspiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Harleydodge

Formula 409, elbow grease, water to rinse.
Repeat as necessary.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
GHen

In the rain, my unit will auto dump the rain build up. I loosen the adjustable arm on one side, when it fills up, it dumps out that side. You can also loosen the one side, pull it down a bit and tighten it up so it’s at an angle. Generally I don’t have it out very far in the rain. Rain sometimes come with unexpected gusty winds.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
Which way does it roll? I noticed recently that if you let it go all the way out and don't stop it will roll back up the other way, so that the "in" button actually rolls it out. When done correctly ours is rolled with the awning covering itself, and tight enough that it stays dry inside. On our last trip we got rain, and I opened it when we got home the next day and had sun. Over the fall and winter (uncovered) we had no moisture inside, and no mold. In our wet climate I won't open it if there is any chance of rain. It's useless as protection from rain, water accumulates near the bottom, apparently just meant as a sun shade.
Here's a visual yo help out. If you reversed it so it rolls under, then just over extend it again and it will correct it. Or you can take off of the roller and turn it over...LOL.Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet-paper2.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	17428

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #15
larryflew

Mister Clean liquid muscle is what my wife uses with a brush and it does a great job of removing the black. Real bad, mister clean erasers are a PITA but work well.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Mister Clean liquid muscle is what my wife uses with a brush and it does a great job of removing the black. Real bad, mister clean erasers are a PITA but work well.
Not sure how you managed, but sounds like the best of all worlds.... My "supervisor" hands me the brush and has a very effective index finger to help me locate the problem areas.... I'll try the Mister Clean Liquid Muscle, maybe it's better than the "normal Mister Clean"..... I'm sure the overactive index finger will help me locate all the soiled areas.... Oh, and she's very good at handing me the Mister Clean Erasers if I need one....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #17
{tpc}

Mister Clean Magic Eraser mop is what I use. The thing looks worn out but does a great job everytime. Last time I did it, I took my time, and i had to drive it to storage through some rain. Usually this means more dirt and stains, but to my surprise when I unrolled it, it was totally fine.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
travelin texans

Simple Green concentrate mixed stronger than recommended in a 1 gallon sprayer, saturate both sides of the awning, retract for 15 to 20 minutes, unroll, scrub with a medium bristle brush in soapy (preferably Dawn or a car wash soap) water & rinse. Some of the harsh cleaners or bleach will speed up the seam stitching deterioration.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote