Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Tooth Ferry

Bath room over heated.

2014 Montana High Country 305 RL. We don't use the furnace often as we can usually get by with the fireplace and a space heater when on electric hook-up but we just spent a week in GSMNP with no hook-ups and temps in lower 30s at night. There is a 4 or 5" opening in the bath floor behind the toilet that does not have a duct attached to it but must be right in the furnace heat chamber area as it blows very hot air and probably blows out at least 75% if not more of the total furnace output. It is very uncomfortable to be in the bathroom over a minute or two with the door shut if the furnace is on. I tried placing a book over the vent and in a couple of minutes the furnace shut off and the book felt like it was close to catching on fire. Has anyone modified any thing in this area to get more of this super hot air distributed to the living room or bed room? I don't know if there is a sensor that shut the furnace down when I tried covering this vent,don't want to cause a fire. Is this supposed to be attached to a duct or vented into basement?
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your furnace has an “over heat” sensor and will shut down if too much heat builds up in the plenum. Sounds like that’s what happened on your case. There might be some blockage in the other ducting, air will take the path of least resistance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
Dave W

There should be a register cover on any duct work. Our sig HC 343RL 5er has one in the floor in front of the sink and a second 3 feet away in the bedroom. Installing 8 buck adjustable identically sized register covers from Home Depot was about the first thing I did after the initial long trip upon buying the RV. This allows you to regulate flow. Also, you have the second "problem" in that yhe furnace is directly below the bathroom floor adding to any heat by radiation.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
IRV2

We also installed an adjustable register in our bathroom because the heater is very close to the bathroom and that has increased the flow into our bedroom. Also wanted to add that the heater seems fine it hasn't tripped the overheat safety feature the Chuck is referring too. We got intimate with our heater a couple weeks ago when we had no air near the dining room, come to find our the hose was smashed and tore up and not delivering the heat in that register. Never know what you'll find under these rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	14507  

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Ferry View Post
2014 Montana High Country 305 RL. We don't use the furnace often as we can usually get by with the fireplace and a space heater when on electric hook-up but we just spent a week in GSMNP with no hook-ups and temps in lower 30s at night. There is a 4 or 5" opening in the bath floor behind the toilet that does not have a duct attached to it but must be right in the furnace heat chamber area as it blows very hot air and probably blows out at least 75% if not more of the total furnace output. It is very uncomfortable to be in the bathroom over a minute or two with the door shut if the furnace is on. I tried placing a book over the vent and in a couple of minutes the furnace shut off and the book felt like it was close to catching on fire. Has anyone modified any thing in this area to get more of this super hot air distributed to the living room or bed room? I don't know if there is a sensor that shut the furnace down when I tried covering this vent,don't want to cause a fire. Is this supposed to be attached to a duct or vented into basement?
If you poke around here, you'll find several threads where folks have modified or repaired the ducting and distribution system of their furnace.

If you're getting 75% of the total output into the bathroom, it's pretty certain that there is a blockage or disconnected duct somewhere. If it's at the furnace, the fix is pretty easy. First, get to Home Depot or Lowes (or similar) and pick yourself up a roll of the silver foil HVAC tape (NOT duct tape!) It is designed to withstand the heat of your furnace and can safely be applied to the body of the furnace where the ducts connect.

If the furnace is directly below the bathroom, then it's highly likely that it is right behind the rear wall of the basement area. That wall is usually held in place with just a few screws. Remove them, and the whole thing comes out. On my Cougar, it's just a piece of 1/4" masonite. Once you've accessed the furnace, any loose or crushed ducting in that area should be pretty obvious and is easily repaired. On most Keystones, the flexible ducting is just 4" diameter foil flex hose which is exactly the same stuff that is used for home clothes dryer installations. Keystone generally uses too much of this ducting so you may find long sections of it where there should just be a short one. As several others have reported, chopping out some of the excess flex hose improves air flow.

My Cougar has a long, straight hard duct running from the middle to the rear of trailer with floor vents every 6 feet or so. That can be easily clogged so removing the vents and cleaning out that duct is a good idea. Others have reported finding all kinds of objects in there that do not belong. Most were odd pieces of material from the construction of the trailer. You can also tape up any leaks you find in there.

When I first accessed my furnace, I found several loose connections of the duct hose to the furnace plenum (air distribution box.) There was a lot of warm air escaping into the space around the furnace. Air distribution systems lose pressure when there are leaks. Fixing the leaks restores needed air pressure so that warm air is distributed out to the far reaches of the system. Using the HVAC tape, I fixed those. The plenum has a number of 4" knock-out holes in it so that any number of ducts can be attached to it. Unused holes are either not knocked out or a cover is screwed in place. A loose, missing, or partially bent cover leaks a lot of air. All of these problems are easily fixed with the HVAC tape and maybe a screwdriver.

One other point, before you apply any tape, make sure the surfaces are clean and dry. If there is dust, dirt, grease, etc. where you want to apply the tape, it won't stick well. Also, the tape tears easily so don't be afraid to apply more than one layer. It is incredibly sticky, too. If you don't put it down quite right, leave it and apply another layer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #6
WaltBennett

Our '10 has a round furnace vent in the bathroom floor. I'm pretty certain it's hooked to a duct as our bathroom does get quite warm when the furnace is running. Hasn't been so much as to be a worry though. I agree about how you may be surprised if you look behind some of the basement walls though.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat