Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
innermusic

Winter

Regarding our insulated Cougar, I was thinking about winterizing it before the snow begins and wondering... What's is like pulling the trailer over snowcovered roads? And is it a bad idea to leave the slides out during winter?
innermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
bobbecky

I just don't tow on snow covered roads, but that's not to say it can't be done, just that I don't. We full time, and had 1 1/2 feet of snow on our rig with the slides out this past winter. No damage, and it finally melted off after carefully using a plastic snow shovel to remove most of it from a ladder leaned up against the side of the rig. If the rig is winterized, you likely are not staying in it, so the slides would be better in.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
rhagfo

I would not leave the slides out while stored. We have towed on snow covered roads, you need a good solid package to start with, we tow a 5th wheel, but a well setup TT should do fine also. You need to keep the speed down and carry traction chains and have good tires.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
NorskeBob

Would not leave slides out if there is ice or snow. Usually do not tow in the ice or snow.
Makes a mess of the trailer and don't enjoy driving when towing in it.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
mfifield01

How bad is road salt on these trailers? I saw another thread with springs going bad that were heavily rusted. I've thought about taking my TT to New Mexico in the winter, but I worry about salt on the roads. I lived in Illinois before Texas and remember what salt can do to vehicles.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
SteveC7010

A big problem with leaving the slides out in winter weather is that the snow accumulation will likely turn to ice and that will change the way that any water or snow melt travels on top of the slide. You've usually got a single flap seal up there, and if water is held in place rather than running off, it will sooner or later penetrate the seal. We all know what happens when water gets inside a trailer.

If you have toppers, the problem there would be the snow weight and possible tearing of the fabric.

If the trailer is not in use, close up the slides. Why take an unnecessary risk of damaging it?

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
How bad is road salt on these trailers? I saw another thread with springs going bad that were heavily rusted. I've thought about taking my TT to New Mexico in the winter, but I worry about salt on the roads. I lived in Illinois before Texas and remember what salt can do to vehicles.

I don't know where you are thinking of going in NM but where our vacation home is in Cloudcroft they use LOTS of salt in the winter to melt the snow and ice. I don't take my trailer there but I take my vehicle down the mountain to Alamogordo to the carwash and clean the underside every few days. Just don't like salt on the vehicle.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know where you are thinking of going in NM but where our vacation home is in Cloudcroft they use LOTS of salt in the winter to melt the snow and ice. I don't take my trailer there but I take my vehicle down the mountain to Alamogordo to the carwash and clean the underside every few days. Just don't like salt on the vehicle.
I thought about staying in Ruidoso and going up to Ski Apache. My DW and I usually fly to Colorado (or Utah) to ski for a weekend in the winter. We were thinking about taking to the kids, so they could learn to ski.

Back to the topic. I'm hesitant on towing the trailer in the winter and getting salt on the TV and TT.

Tags
winter