Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
cvin

wattmeter for 30 amp plug?

does anyone know if a simple plug in wattmeter for a 30 amp set up so we can see how much power we are using

thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
cvin

lol, i have the progressive industries PT30x for my camper

am i reading this right that it will tell amps used? so can we use this to determine how much electricity a camper is using?

have been boondocking and it has never been plugged in ..
Old 06-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "simple plug in" ammeter that would give you total amperage at the power cord would have to be installed either at the campground pedestal or at the coach end of the power cord. If it were inside and plugged in, it would only give you the amperage use at the plug where it's installed. To my knowledge, the only way to get total amp usage "INSIDE" the trailer would be with a "hard wired ammeter" since there is no plug at which you could install the meter where it could measure "total electrical use" except at the power center (on which there is no plug to use for a plug in meter).

You can purchase a "simple plug in" surge guard with LED display that has the capacity to read line amperage. These devices plug into the power pedestal and the RV power cord plugs into the device. Here is one source to the surge guard owner's manual. In it you can read the capability of both the 30 amp and the 50 amp devices and exactly what amperage readings you can get from the LED display: http://www.campingworld.com/includes...r%20Manual.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

After I posted, I see your second post asking about the Progressive PT30x. To answer that question (which goes along with my previous explanation) is yes, you can read the total amperage load on the power cord at the LED meter on the PT30x. Remember that when you first plug it in the PT30x does not allow power to the RV for the first 2 minutes (or about that). When the PT30x does connect the RV to power, the LED display will then provide total amperage load on the trailer power cord.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
cvin

ok, this is all in reference to a 1986 winnebago motorhome that is plugged in at my house and seems to be using a lot of power

not sure what the big draw is, the ac seems to be original but cools well on low and it has not been all that hot
we have also been turning it off at night

i will hook up my surge protector for a few days and we can watch it