Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
gbsb

Maxxair Fan

I have a 2017 Hideout 26RLSWE. It did not come with a exhaust fan, I decided to install a Maxxair in the vent in bathroom (fart fan). The only place to put one, I purchased the fan un boxed it and removed the vent fan in bathroom installed the maxxair automatic ,10 speed ,reversible, with remote fan. I hooked the power up to the 12 volt coming to the old fan. Turned it on and it ran great for about a week, now it comes on some times sometimes not, sometimes it comes on and runs real slow, the automatic cover on the roof opens perfectly every time . Any Ideas, it is hard for us to get to a dealer to have it checked, and there is no dealers here in middle Iowa. When it first ran it did great . I have checked the voltage on the wire it is 12 volts, and no the polarity is not reversed. I was a Industrial Mechanic, and a electric, gas, diesel fork lift mechanic for over 35 years. I am retired now and welivel full time in the RV working part time as private security guards in the wind farm industry. Thanks George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'm guessing from your experience that the connection is good? Sounds like it is either a problem with the fan itself or the power supply to it. Not much else can be going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
bobbecky

Maybe best to contact Maxxair. http://www.airxcel.com/maxxair. 316-832-4357
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
oshpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
I have a 2017 Hideout 26RLSWE. It did not come with a exhaust fan, I decided to install a Maxxair in the vent in bathroom (fart fan). The only place to put one, I purchased the fan un boxed it and removed the vent fan in bathroom installed the maxxair automatic ,10 speed ,reversible, with remote fan. I hooked the power up to the 12 volt coming to the old fan. Turned it on and it ran great for about a week, now it comes on some times sometimes not, sometimes it comes on and runs real slow, the automatic cover on the roof opens perfectly every time . Any Ideas, it is hard for us to get to a dealer to have it checked, and there is no dealers here in middle Iowa. When it first ran it did great . I have checked the voltage on the wire it is 12 volts, and no the polarity is not reversed. I was a Industrial Mechanic, and a electric, gas, diesel fork lift mechanic for over 35 years. I am retired now and welivel full time in the RV working part time as private security guards in the wind farm industry. Thanks George
Is there a thermostat control on the fan? It would be a know with markings blue transitioning to red. Turn that knob to either extreme and see if that helps, if not turn to other extreme.
oshpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
gbsb

Thanks to all for the input I took some advise and contacted Maxxair. The tech told me to check or voltage at the motor. I have not done this because of scheduling but plan on doing it tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I would suggest that you take one voltage measurement with no load (fan off) and a second under load (fan on). You have replaced the original fan with a real one with a larger current drain.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
gbsb

Thanks all for the help. bobbeck t I did as you suggested , I got a email from a tech asking me to check voltage when the fan would not come on. I removed the inside screen turned the fan on and nothing happened. I reached up and pulled down a little on the wires going to the fan motor from the circuit board and it came on and started running. It has come on every time since then. Bad connection inside motor or at circuit board. Thanks again for all the input guys.