Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Eastham

Amazon prime.

Was curious if you could watch amazon movies from cell to cougar tv since tv is not a smart one
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Was curious if you could watch amazon movies from cell to cougar tv since tv is not a smart one
It all depends on what prison you are in. Some cells have more perks than others. Sorry I just had to go there.

Seriously we have tried using the cell phone to stream to our tv and no luck. I'm sure someone will chime in with a solution.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
MattHelm21

Probably the easiest(and I use the term loosely) way is to make the TV smart with an add on. You can pick up a smart blue ray player for the TV for between 50 and 80 dollars. Then if you can turn your phone into a hotspot, connect the blue ray player to the phone's WiFi and then use its Amazon Movie app to play your movies. Of course bandwidth could be an issue over the phone depending on your signal from the cell tower.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:10 AM   #4
Olsen29

I love my chrome cast. I have 6 of them. I put a HDMI splitter so I could watch listen to the same thing on the inside and outside of the coach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Jackstraw

Pay $40 for an Amazon firestick. U can use Campground wifi to stream movies if the bandwidth is enough.
Jackstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
outwest

Short answer, yes. Longer answer, you most likely can, but if and how depends on which cell phone you have and what cell phone data plan you have.

If you have a cell plan that allows you to use hotspot with huge amount of data (even 10GB will go really really fast when streaming video) you can connect devices such as Roku, FireStick, etc to your hotspot.

If you're on a plan that offers some sort of unlimited streaming (such as TMobile's Binge On) but has limited or no hotspot, then you still have options by either casting the video using a device such as a chromecast dongle (if your phone support casting AND if the device hooked to the tv uses a method that isn't seen by your cell provider as being via tethering) or by plugging phone directly to tv using phone's video out function. Some older phones have analog composite video out via the headphone jack; some (many) use MHL through the usb port; some don't have any sort of video out.

It really depends on what phone you have and what cell plan you have. There was a discussion last year on irv2 forum about not all casting being seen the same way by cellphone networks (e.g. chromecast sometimes being seen as tethering and sometimes not), so the safest bet would probably be the video cable option, if your phone supports it.

While it might seem like a pain to have your phone connected to your tv via a cable, it really isn't, especially if you use a long cable.

Myself, I use the campground's wifi when I can (signal strength, bandwidth etc). When that doesn't work I use an MHL to HDMI cable. On an aside, Netflix is supposed to be included in Binge On, but for some reason it eats my data anyway, even though I have everything set the way it's supposed to be. Even eats it when simply watching it on my phone.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 AM   #7
Eastham

Thanks for all the replys.that seems to cover it all .
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote