Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Ferb

Preparing for road after 3year sitting

We will be making our first road trip this summer about 3000 miles. Our 32' Cougar High Country TT has been sitting for 3 years used as a park model. I check on it couple times a month, keep a dehumidifier on (random on/off) so it stays dry inside and heat on. So inside is good, slides get exercised etc. outside other than washing and cleaning top no so good. Any suggestions on what I should do to make sure it's ready for road would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
CrazyCain

Check your tires, brakes and bearings... having been sitting for long they probably be the devil, especially with a 3000 mile trip looming.....

Safe travels this summer

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
canesfan

I'd personally replace the tires after sitting 3 years. You can look at them all you want but you can't always see what's going on inside them, which is where a lot of problems start. Some good deals on tires right now.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
66joej

^ Ditto on the above. Also check all outside lights, running, clearance,signal.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferb View Post
We will be making our first road trip this summer about 3000 miles. Our 32' Cougar High Country TT has been sitting for 3 years used as a park model. I check on it couple times a month, keep a dehumidifier on (random on/off) so it stays dry inside and heat on. So inside is good, slides get exercised etc. outside other than washing and cleaning top no so good. Any suggestions on what I should do to make sure it's ready for road would be appreciated. Thank you

IF the tires are out of the sun and off the ground then check mfg dates. Otherwise replace them.
Pull EVERY wheel/drum off and check brakes, bearings, replace seals (very inexpensive). Check for rust, seized brake parts, wire defects from rodents, and that magnets fully energize.
Visually check all suspension/frame components for rust. I don't know how your unit was supported but anywhere that water can be trapped will lead to rust and will compromise strength.
While your checking the frame take a look for any signs of rodents/wildlife chewing on wires and waterlines. A water line chewed on but not leaking can become an issue with the vibrations and stresses of bouncing down the highway. Make sure all wires and pipes (including LPG and sewer) are tight and not missing any supports or hangers.
Check all electrical connections from tow vehicle to trailer, pay special attention to the ground for corrosion. A loss of ground can cause all sorts of funky things to happen when brakes are applied or turn signals are activated. Unplug the the shore power and check the battery, after 3 yrs it's probably self retired.
Check that your appliances i.e HWH, fridge, furnace are properly functioning on LPG. If you have been using the AC side of these it's very likely that a spider's nest is blocking the gas orifice on some of these appliances.
Has your TV antenna been in the same position? Crank it up and down and rotate it.
This should get you started, I'm sure I've missed somethings and others will offer more suggestions. Good luck and happy trails!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
Ferb

Thought I would check tires, brakes & wheel bearings this weekend. Lube hitch assy. And stabilizer jacks.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

IMO I would replace the tires and not waste one minute looking at them particularly if they are OEM and/or China bombs. It's a 50/50 chance you would see anything, but, after sitting for 3 years I would almost guarantee that the innards of the tire are splitting or wanting to separate if they've been on the ground. If they haven't, I would still do it. With a life expectancy of about 3 years, rolling or not, it's time no matter what.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Ferb

Thank you for all the good info. Glad I have 6 weeks to work on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Pull Toy

^^^ What they all said!

+ 1. 'Have a safe and fun filled trip!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!