Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
mtofell

Little Old Ladies Building RVs?

Okay, let me start by clearing stating I'm pro-little old lady. After all, who wouldn't be? But in my second year of Keystone Hideout ownership I'm finding that everything is loose! Any plumbing fitting, co-ax cable attachment, hinge or anything else that should be tight...... Isn't!!! I know things can rattle loose but this seems pretty ridiculous.

In the last 2 times out I've had water leaking from the underside - loose fitting behind the city water connection, no signal from the antenna - loose co-ax at the back of the plate, bad signal at the bedroom TV - more loose co-ax, falling window blinds - loose screws, entry door not latching - loose screws on the latch and plastic "fenders" falling off - more loose screws.

It's almost as though the people building these things are toying with our minds

I'm starting to understand more why so many folks complain about having a lemon. If I didn't know how to chase down problems and fix things I'd go absolutely nuts.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Okay, let me start by clearing stating I'm pro-little old lady. After all, who wouldn't be? But in my second year of Keystone Hideout ownership I'm finding that everything is loose! Any plumbing fitting, co-ax cable attachment, hinge or anything else that should be tight...... Isn't!!! I know things can rattle loose but this seems pretty ridiculous.

In the last 2 times out I've had water leaking from the underside - loose fitting behind the city water connection, no signal from the antenna - loose co-ax at the back of the plate, bad signal at the bedroom TV - more loose co-ax, falling window blinds - loose screws, entry door not latching - loose screws on the latch and plastic "fenders" falling off - more loose screws.

It's almost as though the people building these things are toying with our minds

I'm starting to understand more why so many folks complain about having a lemon. If I didn't know how to chase down problems and fix things I'd go absolutely nuts.
Such is the nature of the beast I believe. Of course, I would rather have the loose fittings, screws etc. instead of the many overtightened things I've had on mine so that everything is stripped or broke. I guess the things tightened "just right" might be made on Tues - Thurs??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
66joej

After hearing the multitude of reports of shoddy workmanship on these RVs on this site alone it's hard to believe that they can't make them fast enough for the consumer to buy them. In fact a lot of people are actually factory ordering them. I hope the industry takes note of these complaints.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
vampress_me

I feel like I should take offense at this...since someday I may be a little old lady.

In seriousness, I am joking (just so no one thinks I really am offended). And I agree that there should be some sort of quality control.

Luckily, in our case, the worst "not tightening a fitting" that I have come across was last winters winterizing that I had the dealer do. Hooked up to the black tank sprayer last spring for the first flush of the year. Had water immediately coming out under the camper... Shut off water, muttering to myself a few choice words, and dug into the water area from in the kids closet to discover they unscrewed the fitting and never screwed it back on. He had put new thread tape on the screw threads, but that's as far as it went. Mopped up what I could, few more choice words for the guy who did that, and screwed it back together. And noted to myself to always look at all the fittings in there every spring before hooking up water. And also asked myself again who in their right mind would put the electrical cord junction box right next to the water center with a thin piece of luan separating the 2 areas..

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Desert185

As an airplane guy I sometimes wish airplane construction standards were applied to trailers, but then realizing the economics of that I have become more tolerant of the issues. We have just accepted the fact that we have to modify certain aspects of the trailer to make it more robust or live with the frailty of the design. Life is a compromise, and trailers are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
Quiroule

Just to set the record strait, RV sales drop 24.4% last year....So I guess they should have time to make them a little better this year..

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
Just to set the record strait, RV sales drop 24.4% last year....So I guess they should have time to make them a little better this year..
maybe, but they are WAY UP this year. Factories can't crank them out fast enough.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
notanlines

Your 24% figure is bogus as a football bat. This is from the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association:
RV shipments through August 2016 totaled 290,852 units, an increase of 13% from the same period in 2015. Shipments in 2016 are expected to surpass 400,000 units, and reach the highest total since 1977. This would mark seven consecutive years of shipments growth as the industry has bounced back from effects of the Great Recession.
•RV shipments are predicted to continue growing for an eighth straight year in 2017. RVIA projects shipments will climb to 411,000 units — an all-time high.
•In 2015, RV shipments totaled 374,246 units, a gain of 4.9% over the previous year. This was the sixth consecutive annual increase.
•Recent shipments history.

YEAR RV SHIPMENTS Percentage change

4.9%

11.1%

12.4%

13.3%

4.1%
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I had that email, as I am registered wit RVIA. I don't keep them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I would have to agree with both of you. All the RV news has been saying sales are booming again with no end in sight for this year at least. This fast pace of brisk sales has lead to facilities expansion, adding of new workers, and running at full speed ahead, to the point things get missed at a higher rate.

NOTE TO BUYERS: this is not bad, but does mean you have to do a more thorough PDI before you buy!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

According to notanlines' comments, there has been a 45% increase in RV sales from 2011 to 2015 with an additional 13% in 2016. That's almost a 60% increase in just the past 6 years. From all of my indications, there has not been a similar increase in available camping sites. This spells busier campgrounds, overcrowding and increased competition for available sites. In the past, popular campgrounds were "reservations only" during peak periods.

I'd suppose that will translate to "reservations only" for even more weekends during the camping season at an increasing number of campgrounds and the list of places where "preplanning is required" will grow. I don't remember a "no vacancy" sign at a campground before about 1995 or so, but saw more last year than in all our trips in the past 10 years combined...

So, along with "rapid construction issues", places to camp may be a sign of things to come ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #12
66joej

If finding a campground around this part of Canada is any indicator the -24% quoted by Quiroule does not seem to equate. Also the hard numbers indicated above^^^ tell a different story.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #13
Murmaids

Thanks for the great stats. I was more than a bit shocked to hear that there was any drop in sales from what I had seen. Learned a long time ago, if you are under warranty or had a dealer fix something, do not let them off the hook. The dealer will contact the company and complain, especially if they have to continue to correct behind the manufacturer.

Mary an Ann

(A mystical creature seen on or near the water by sailors)
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #14
Quiroule

You are right notanlines,

I got this figure in an outdoor magazine, lesson learned: do not believe everything you read....

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

As an example of how things are growing in the RV arena;

We began parking in a newly opened, renovated park in FL in 2014. More than 1/2 the sites stayed open for the duration of our stay. Fast forward to 2017; even though they had added some sites the park was virtually full most of the time and particularly on weekends. The RV traffic at the park, and on the highway, had increased dramatically. In fact, we made reservations to stay from Nov. 1, 2017 to March 1, 2018 on Feb. 27, 2017; 2 days before we left. The manager told me then that several sites were already spoken for for the upcoming year and I talked to several others who had not reserved a site but intended to.......it's going to get crazy in another few years.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
Desert185

We're in trouble, if that's the case. We can't plan that far ahead. I foresee more boondocking for us.

The "problem" where we live is that we encounter more population whenever we leave home. I think its supposed to be the other way around. Staying in crowded parks is a real negative for us.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
We're in trouble, if that's the case. We can't plan that far ahead. I foresee more boondocking for us.

The "problem" where we live is that we encounter more population whenever we leave home. I think its supposed to be the other way around. Staying in crowded parks is a real negative for us.
3 years ago that's exactly what I said. But, when you're grandgirls move away from you and you have to go across the country to see them, and a busy RV park is the only place you can stay......you adapt
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

It's the same with us. When we retired, we built a house in the middle of nowhere. It's a "tourist-go to" locale. On holiday weekends there's "standing room only" in every store in town, the traffic triples and noise increases significantly. During the week, we're a "sleepy little town" and during the summer, it's "all hands on deck"....

There are several state forest campgrounds near us. None of them have any hookups, and none of them even have a dump station, so it's haul out what you haul in and what you produce while there.... When we moved here 8 years ago, none of the campgrounds were full, even on holiday weekends. Now, without reservations forget most weekends and during the early summer, forget even finding a campsite. Most of the state park campgrounds (electricity only with water in several community areas) it's reservations required for most weekends and "hit or miss" during the week. Full service commercial campgrounds are few and far between, but they are "reservations only" all summer long.

We don't camp "at home". Heck, why drag the trailer 2 blocks when I've got " acres of wild" right behind the house, complete with fire pits, beach and all the bugs anybody would ever want.... We "escape to even smaller population centers" to camp. Along with that comes a lot of dry camping in forest areas where there's no improved campground within miles. And, even those places are getting harder to find.

The "favorite campground for opening day of bass season" in the past has meant we were the only camper there and maybe 2 or 3 local fishermen would drag in their boat for the day. In the last 2 years we've been joined by 8 or 10 other campers and there's 40 or 50 boats on the water. This year we're going up a couple days early, hoping to get our "regular site" and expecting that we might find a "full campground" when we get there. We're hoping not, but won't be surprised with all the "community" that's overtaken the "wide open spaces"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
pawpaw

If little old ladies were building these RV's I think the quality control and workmanship would be much better. I think work release druggies are building most of them!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
If little old ladies were building these RV's I think the quality control and workmanship would be much better. I think work release druggies are building most of them!
My vote is for Rosie the riveter and her girlfriend work ethics to come out of retirement.