Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
SRD

Question Led awning light strip

Just purchased a Passport Elite 19rb. We like this camper a lot except for the awning light.It is just way to bright. What can be done to make it more useable with out having to rewire my NEW travel trailer. Any ideas would be helpful
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Re: Led awning light strip

I turn mine off when not wanted. I've used it both ways and just depends on my mood. It is easier to find the beer cooler with it on I have found.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
jmak

They are bright and when camping in Big Bend being so remote I found that several of our neighbors had theirs on and was very distracting when trying to enjoy looking up and seeing the stars.

I am personally not a fan of that much light unless you need to see for example getting a beer out of the cooler or hearing something and wanting to check to make sure everything is ok.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
SRD

Awning light brightness

Thanks to the members who replied to the awning light issue I have. I also use my in have to cases, but I would have been happier with an amber porch light. Considering buying a solar light to use instead. Thanks again for your replies
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The only way to dim the LED strip is with an LED compatible dimmer. My truck has 5 gauges on the pillar with LED lighting. They are Autometer brand and I bought the dimmer for them. Maybe call Autometer and ask if they think it might work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #6
xrated

I was going to say that there are LED specific dimmers out there, but it sounds like a crap shoot to know if the one that you buy will work with a certain set of LEDs.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #7
24v

What about some white electrical tape? Or even colored possibly depending on the brightness and the tape you use. Just cover the strip, or try covering every other led maybe?
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:09 AM   #8
spdracr39

I use rope lights along the ground under the trailer for my ambient lighting outside.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:20 AM   #9
hdxbonez

My LED awning light was operated on a single switch along with the amber porch light. Fortunately, they were both terminated in the wall mount control panel, so it was easy to add another switch and control them independently. I also find the LED to be much too bright most of the time

Tags
awning, led, light