Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Jhanemann

Window and door seals

So....the entry door to my 2014 Keystone Sprinter 320bhs had to be replaced due to a broken hinge. Long story short, they used the wrong color caulking around the new door. Also while it was at the dealership (took them 5 months!) a bedroom window leaked. Of course I ranted and raved because they didn't even notice the leak (they had to replace the counter top right under the window so the huge puddle of water should have been noticed when they supposedly inspected it prior to our arrival the day we were going to pick it up. Long story story, I digress). So anyway, they ended up re-sealing every window. I need opinions from yall about this reseal job. as you can tell from the last picture especially, they didn't even clean the areas before applying the sealant. For what it's worth my camper was spotless when I brought it to them and filthy inside and out when it was picked up. Is this a sloppy seal job? The dealership says it's the way it's supposed to look. Is this going to cause me problems down the road? They had my camper for 5 months and I refuse to let them mess it up anymore. Should my husband and I have this redone? He always maintained our previous camper and resealed everything himself. It was an aluminum side camper so we aren't sure what to use on this one. Please advise. Sorry such a long post. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Jhanemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Jhanemann

Here are a few more pictures.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Jhanemann

I just don't think this is a quality job! It's already beginning to peel off in spots!

this was the job when they first replaced the door. I have clear caulking around my back door. I'm not sure what made them think putting white around this door would be acceptable?

window that was resealed.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Jhanemann

this is a window where it has already begun to peel off. It was just done a month ago.

I am worried about these gaps. Should I be worried?

I am sorry for so many pictures, I am coming here hoping to find help and advice. Not looking to bash the dealership.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Tbos

I'm not an RV tech but I don't think RTV is the correct way they normally seal around windows and doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Windows and doors are installed with either butyl tape or a self adhesive rubber seal on the flange. Silicone can be applied to the top edge and continue just past the corner radius.

Looking at the pictures, it appears to me that the job was sloppy. Using a plastic scraper you could clean the edges. Then clean with denatured alcohol and re seal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
roadglide

That is the type of work my dealer is doing. I need a new lower slide seal the dealer will install but I'm choosing to pay the 4 dollars a foot and repair it my self. The new garage door they pierced the rubber seal together in 5 differents places. I'm sorry to see work like that and concerned yes about the work on your windows . Take pictures and e mail it to management.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #8
Dave W

Be very careful using anything to clean that silicone smeared on the decals. There is a silicone remover that will work but again, care. Acetone often works well too

That seal is supposed to have some movement to allow for heat and cold contraction/expansion plus some road jiggles, not be rigidly mounted, hence a two sided tape or occasionally a rubber cement adhesive is often applied. I generally use a common (DAP brand usually) contact cement.

If it was my TT/5er, it would be a Saturday morning DIY project - a screw driver (probably a #2 square head), a bit of cleaner and maybe a plastic putty knife with the corners rounded, some contact cement and a couple hours will see it done. It's not worth a weeks long stay at the dealer
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
vampress_me

We've got the same issue, but ours came from the factory like that. Every window, door, and sidewall penetration (hood vent, taillights, etc) have silicone around them. They also used the butyl tape under, but the factory went wild on our camper with a huge tube of silicone. And, man, in some places they really smeared it around. I've kept an eye on it for the past 2 years, and now it's starting to have a few spots where it's coming loose and needs to be taken off and redone (or maybe redone?). And I'm not looking forward to the job, I had to remove/ replace a tail light this summer, and removing the silicone around it was the worst/ longest part of the job.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
Jhanemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Windows and doors are installed with either butyl tape or a self adhesive rubber seal on the flange. Silicone can be applied to the top edge and continue just past the corner radius.

Looking at the pictures, it appears to me that the job was sloppy. Using a plastic scraper you could clean the edges. Then clean with denatured alcohol and re seal.
Thank you for your reply. My dealership says this is quality work. Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to search YouTube and learn exactly how to do this. I am sure I can do a better job. This looks like a 5 year old did it.

Southern Louisiana
2014 Keystone Sprinter 320bhs
Old 09-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Jhanemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
That is the type of work my dealer is doing. I need a new lower slide seal the dealer will install but I'm choosing to pay the 4 dollars a foot and repair it my self. The new garage door they pierced the rubber seal together in 5 differents places. I'm sorry to see work like that and concerned yes about the work on your windows . Take pictures and e mail it to management.
The general manager has seen every picture and feels that is quality. I think my next step is BBB complaint and redoing it myself.

Southern Louisiana
Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
Jhanemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Be very careful using anything to clean that silicone smeared on the decals. There is a silicone remover that will work but again, care. Acetone often works well too

That seal is supposed to have some movement to allow for heat and cold contraction/expansion plus some road jiggles, not be rigidly mounted, hence a two sided tape or occasionally a rubber cement adhesive is often applied. I generally use a common (DAP brand usually) contact cement.

If it was my TT/5er, it would be a Saturday morning DIY project - a screw driver (probably a #2 square head), a bit of cleaner and maybe a plastic putty knife with the corners rounded, some contact cement and a couple hours will see it done. It's not worth a weeks long stay at the dealer
Thank you for your advice. That is my plan. I have never done this before but I will learn. I imagine I can do a better job. I will at least take pride in my work.

Southern Louisiana
Old 09-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Jhanemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
We've got the same issue, but ours came from the factory like that. Every window, door, and sidewall penetration (hood vent, taillights, etc) have silicone around them. They also used the butyl tape under, but the factory went wild on our camper with a huge tube of silicone. And, man, in some places they really smeared it around. I've kept an eye on it for the past 2 years, and now it's starting to have a few spots where it's coming loose and needs to be taken off and redone (or maybe redone?). And I'm not looking forward to the job, I had to remove/ replace a tail light this summer, and removing the silicone around it was the worst/ longest part of the job.
That's awful! I am sorry to hear they did such crappy work at the factory. That is disheartening to say the least. What ever happened to taking pride in your work?

Southern Louisiana
Old 09-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
... I had to remove/ replace a tail light this summer, and removing the silicone around it was the worst/ longest part of the job.
I just replaced both of my tail lights, one was busted in a hail storm and, since they were cheap to buy, I figured might as well make them match.

Getting rid of the old silicone was fairly easy, I used a razor scraper for the bulk of it and lacquer thinner to clean up what was left.

-Brian