Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
johnnyringo

Backup Camera

The next thing on my list is a backup camera. TT is 26' overall. I did a search, but it was inconclusive on ratings. So, once again I ask the experts. What aftermarket wireless cameras would you buy again.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm getting our 22RBPR ready for our first trip!

JR
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
malabarbob

Backup Camera

I just bought an iBall wreless setup. Camera can only be used temporarily. It has a rechargeable battery and magnetic mount. I have the display in my F-150 and the camera on my TT back bumper - again only on arrival at campsite. I think I paid $165. Originally, I highly recommend. Its color too.
8/10/16 Update - well, it didn't work out. Too inconstant with reception. The company is great - they totally refunded 100%.
I am now trying the FOS48TAPK from Furrion. Quite a few people and my local dealer highly recommended. I am having the dealer install to ensure it works to my satisfaction. Rather than using the traditional backup lights, I am using the marker lights so if I want to see behind me, I just turn them on from my dash. We don't drive at night so no worries about the camera being on all night.
Towed with a 2016 F-150 Laredo with auto backup
Travel with our "Morkie" - Zoe
malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

My back up camera sits in the passenger seat, LOL

Sorry couldn't resist this morning as I sit at the dealership waiting for the gates to open. We have installed different brands on a variety of units. I see lots of Furrion brand and picture seems to be good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider is the wiring connections required for almost all "wireless" systems. If (some people do, some people don't) plan to wire the camera to a permanent 12 volt power source, you're going to be "under the trailer stringing wire", and, in the event that you're a "bit over the distance" for good reception, you're going to be "back under the trailer stringing wire for a repeater".....

If you "widen your search" and look at wired systems, you eliminate the need for a repeater and eliminate all the "hassles and if's" of a wireless system. It's not that difficult to run the wiring along the propane line from the rear of the trailer to the hitch and wiring the tow vehicle is as simple as installing a brake controller or hitch wiring, and in many situations even easier.

With the increased choices of a wired system, you'll find a number of excellent rear view camera systems that completely eliminate the "bad reception" and "spotty image" problems.

While not for everyone and not the "only choice" a wired system, in many ways, is much more reliable and often a better choice which isn't any more "technically challenging" to install.

I'd urge you not to limit your choices until you weigh all the options.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Goofy

I installed the FOS48TAPK Furrion on the back of my 30' travel trailer.
I bought it at Amazon and it comes with a mounting bracket.
The system works great, at daytime the picture is clear and have no interrupts, but I didn't test it in darkness until now.

Because I always drive with light I connect it to the Rear Identification Lamps.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
the sodfather

I recently purchased the wireless back-up camera from Stealth Cam. I love it! It is totally wireless with a color monitor. I can stick it on the back of the TT when backing into a site and I use it when hooking up for ball and hitch alignment. The night vision works very well to. Highly recommend.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
wxsby

Camera Ready?

I recently purchased a new 2017 Cougar 28RLSWE and it has a 'bumper sticker' high on the rear that says "camera Ready". Anybody know what is under it? I assume 12V but is there a bracket of some sort? Is it proprietary to a particular brand of camera? I would like to get a Garmin BC-30 camera with the extended antenna cable to go with my Garmin Nuvi in the truck. If I peel the sticker off can it go back on? Any advice is welcome.
wxsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
xcntrk

I think it depends on what you want out of a camera system. If you only plan to use it for reversing purposes, then it will only be used a couple times during a trip, and the system doesn't have to be as rugged as a full-time monitoring system. However if you want a full-time rear-view monitoring system I would suggest going with something designed and well proven for the RV/Trailering community.

Personally I use an ASA/Jensen Voyager RV monitoring system. Uses a permanently mounted wireless rear-view camera, and a 7" color video/audio display that's mounted in the tow vehicle. Monitors the rear-view full-time when in use. I bought a second camera and mounted it on another trailer I tow as well. Really like the system but it's not cheap.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/produc...a-systems.html

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
wxsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxsby View Post
I recently purchased a new 2017 Cougar 28RLSWE and it has a 'bumper sticker' high on the rear that says "camera Ready". Anybody know what is under it? I assume 12V but is there a bracket of some sort? Is it proprietary to a particular brand of camera? I would like to get a Garmin BC-30 camera with the extended antenna cable to go with my Garmin Nuvi in the truck. If I peel the sticker off can it go back on? Any advice is welcome.
Can anyone tell me what is under the "Camera Ready" sticker on the back of my new trailer before I try to tear it off?
2017 Keystone Cougar 28RLSWE
wxsby is offline   Reply With Quote