Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
silverbullet18

De-Winterizing

I have question. Do most of you flush the anti freeze out by filling the fresh water tank with water or do you use the city water connection. I used the city water in my last TT but was wondering if that is the way to do it in my new Bullet. Looking at first voyage this weekend.

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose if there are a million answers, you'll get a million differences. That said, if you think about sanitizing the system, you can't get chlorine into the city water supply, so eventually, you'll need to add Clorox to the fresh water tank, pump it into the plumbing lines and let it sit for a period of time.

For me, it's easier to just fill the fresh water tank, add Clorox and turn on the pump to flush the plumbing lines, then once they "run clear" shut off the pump, refill the FWT completely and let the system sit overnight, then turn on the pump, flush the lines again, drain the FWT, refill with fresh water and flush the lines a third time. If there's any "after-taste" add a cup of baking soda to the FWT, flush the lines again, then rinse with fresh water from the city water supply.

Don't forget to uncap the low point drains so they flush as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

I do exactly like John said.
But first I catch the antifreeze out of the low point drains,with faucets open. Some antifreeze will kill grass, might as well re-use it then for traps and toilet for next year.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #4
silverbullet18

So if I wanted to take a quick weekend trip this weekend and dont really have time to sanitize is it ok to just drain low points flush lines with city water and sanitize later. I normally dont use fresh water tank.

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
old timer

Sure that would be fine. The antifreeze is ok to drink just not sure I would take a hit off the bottle though. LOL
As for what I did I hooked up the city water got a empty jug and when I turned on the water it just flushed out the antifreeze back into the bottle for next year. I just watched for the color to change and stopped collecting it and let the rest go down the drain.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
nellie1289

so mine is winterized using the air method. no antifreeze in the lines just the pee traps. Would is still put some Clorox in the tank or can I just fill it up and go? last time I used the rv was in Late November.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Most compressors aren't "sterile" so whatever may be in the air that's pumped into the compressor is what's in the air that's blown into the RV plumbing lines. Whether there's anything other than a bit of "grit or grime" from the compressor is anybody's guess. While the plumbing is nowhere near as sterile as a surgical suite, I like to at least begin with an "honest attempt" at making sure my water system is clean. So, for me, I'd fill the lines with something that would help "kill anything that's bad" (Clorox solution) and then go from there.

Yes, I do understand there's very little probability of a pathogen infestation in the plumbing lines and when I was a kid I drank out of the garden hose (still do) but there's no reason to risk mold in the water heater or in a faucet if it only takes a couple of minutes to be sure it's clean.... Think of the mold growing in the sipper cups that has been in the news recently.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Barbell

We carry a compressor that is only used to air truck or trailer tires and to winterize. What goes in the compressor is what comes out so I really don't think we are contaminating the fresh water system with the compressor by using it to winterize. In addition, other than pouring Clorox through a funnel attached to the city water inlet, there is no way to put it into the system that I am aware of. Also, we don't use the fresh water tank other than to flush the stool or to water the dogs when we are traveling as we do not dry camp. While I am sure others have good reason to put antifreeze into their system when they winterize (because they live up North), we don't.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Tbos

I use the Air method but still sanitize the lines and tank with fresh water and bleach before use. If I were to do a quick trip I might just use bottled water to drink if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Lawdog

I'm doing the same thing... started de-winterizing tonight and am about to sanitize.

My question was how do you get the bleach solution into the fresh water tank?!? My old camper had the standard water fill hole, for lack of a better term. But, the new Cougar has a single hose connect for city water and filling the tank. The issue is the little check valve inside the water connect. I did of course remove the screen, but I keep spilling water down the side as I try to put a funnel in there to depress the little valve.

I finally figured it out: I removed the vent screen to the left of the water inlet and place a funnel into there, poured in the bleach solution and then give it several pitchers of clean water to avoid leaving bleach on that plastic line. Problem solved. First trip this weekend...

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #11
cant_remember_ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
I'm doing the same thing... started de-winterizing tonight and am about to sanitize.

My question was how do you get the bleach solution into the fresh water tank?!? My old camper had the standard water fill hole, for lack of a better term. But, the new Cougar has a single hose connect for city water and filling the tank. The issue is the little check valve inside the water connect. I did of course remove the screen, but I keep spilling water down the side as I try to put a funnel in there to depress the little valve.

I finally figured it out: I removed the vent screen to the left of the water inlet and place a funnel into there, poured in the bleach solution and then give it several pitchers of clean water to avoid leaving bleach on that plastic line. Problem solved. First trip this weekend...
Another option would be to pour the bleach into an empty hose before hooking it to the coach. When you turn your water on, that bleach will flow to the fresh water tank. This method also works to sanitize your fresh water hose.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
Lawdog

That is a very good suggestion.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
squeak93

We de-winterized last night and are heading out on our first trip of the year this evening!
Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
14george

That's how I did mine what cant rember id said
Old 03-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
vetorio

De-Winterizing

You could mix a Water and Bleach solution and pump it in like you were
winterizing with antifreeze.
vetorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 AM   #16
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_remember_ID View Post
Another option would be to pour the bleach into an empty hose before hooking it to the coach. When you turn your water on, that bleach will flow to the fresh water tank. This method also works to sanitize your fresh water hose.

Just be careful with the eyes and the spray if you have a hose or fitting leak doing that... Chlorine in the eye is not a fun day.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
Desert185

What's the acceptable amount of Clorox for a 60 gallon fresh water tank plus the water heater?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
What's the acceptable amount of Clorox for a 60 gallon fresh water tank plus the water heater?
Most people will say to use about 1/2 cup per 15 gallons of water, so with a 60 gallon FW tank, that would be about 2 cups, then add 6 gallons for the Water Heater and another 5 or 6 for all the lines and you'd come up with about 2.5 cups for your RV. Pump/pour it into the FW tank, fill the tank with water, use the onboard water pump to fill the water heater, then to draw from the FW tank at each faucet (hot and cold) until you smell the chlorine. Turn off the pump and refill the FW tank to "overflowing" at the vent, then let the RV sit for 12+ hours. I usually let mine sit for at least 24 hours. Flush and you're done. If you still have an "aftersmell" or "aftertaste" you can add a cup of baking soda to the FW tank, pump that through the lines, let it sit for a couple hours, flush and things should be clean with no smell remaining.

Remember that Clorox now sells a "concentrate laundry bleach". The above 1/2 cup is the regular bleach, not the concentrated stuff...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #19
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetorio View Post
You could mix a Water and Bleach solution and pump it in like you were
winterizing with antifreeze.
That is exactly what I do. I put the solution into a gallon jug such as an old antifreeze jug. Then I have an old water hose that I cut the ends off of (about 12-14 inches) one end I use for the solution going in and the other end I use for the WD hookup to drain the solution back into a jug for disposal.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
Desert185

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most people will say to use about 1/2 cup per 15 gallons of water, so with a 60 gallon FW tank, that would be about 2 cups, then add 6 gallons for the Water Heater and another 5 or 6 for all the lines and you'd come up with about 2.5 cups for your RV. Pump/pour it into the FW tank, fill the tank with water, use the onboard water pump to fill the water heater, then to draw from the FW tank at each faucet (hot and cold) until you smell the chlorine. Turn off the pump and refill the FW tank to "overflowing" at the vent, then let the RV sit for 12+ hours. I usually let mine sit for at least 24 hours. Flush and you're done. If you still have an "aftersmell" or "aftertaste" you can add a cup of baking soda to the FW tank, pump that through the lines, let it sit for a couple hours, flush and things should be clean with no smell remaining.

Remember that Clorox now sells a "concentrate laundry bleach". The above 1/2 cup is the regular bleach, not the concentrated stuff...
Sounds like the plan. Thanks!
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote