Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Pete and Jeanne

Step up Newbie needs towing advice

Hello all ! Jeanne and I are about a minute and a half from a new 19FBPR..dry wt. 4100 and change. Thinking about using an '06 Nissan Frontier, Crew cab..towing rated at 6300 Lbs. In flat Louisiana..No Problemo..but what about the rest of the world?
I've pulled about this amount plus p/u bed full of gear ok. with the old PUP...but the 19FB's extra 1000lbs. gives me pause.
Def. need WDH, again, no problem. My GCWT is 11,136 lb. Truck GV is 5730 but won't come close to that. The 19's GVWR is around 7,ooo..but again..won't come anywhere close to that..I figure (and refigure,AND REfigure) that after outfitting the trailer, plus what we will put in the TV I should have about 1300 lbs to spare..Does anyone think this is cutting it to close??
I personally have stepped up to the plate and have volunteered to go right out and find a new (and larger)truck but for some reason Ms. Jeanne has been cool to the idea.
Any and believe me any help on this would be appreciated..Thanks all..
Pete and Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Handysam

Well a minute and a half is up. Did you get it? Do you know what the truck weighs when loaded, full tank of gas, and passengers, equip. etc. It does sound like you will be close, but IMO I think you will be OK. Of course if you can get a bigger truck, thats the best thing to do. Sorry Jeanne.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Pete and Jeanne

Thanks Sam

Thanks Sam! The pu, loaded would come in at 4850lbs. If Ms Jeanne loaded the TV with 500 lbs. we'd be pushing (pulling?) 9482 lbs..with a max pull of 11,133 we'd be closer to 90% than we would be to 80%..We have yet to dry camp although it's something we have talked about. That being said water tanks cap. weight is no issue right now. Now let's see..if we leave the grandkids and the dogs at home......
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

i would think that most of the time you can fill your water tank when you get where you are going, now i know most places have water, BUT i also understand that some places don't. with that, i don't think that i would worry to much about it. i would try it out. i have pulled a lot closer to my limit then 1K, and didn't have any problems, now maybe if i was doing constantly, i would think about it. you can always buy a truck if you need one, i bet you could get a great deal on a new titan. my brother has one, just exteded cab, but he loves it. i know a guy that pulls close to that with a newer 4 door jeep wrangler and he never says anything. just got to remember that you got to give yourself plenty of time, space, and take it easy on the hills.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
hankaye

P&J, Howdy;

Ya'll ain't gonna have much problem with the Pullin' part of the trip. Ever see the old films of the Strongman pullin' a train with his teeth? Things with wheels will move, as long as ya can get it to start to roll..........

It's the STOPPIN' part that most folks always forget about cuz it's not about goin'..... Ya never see the strongman STOP the train ..... do ya.

Yep, your close to Max GROSS. yer still inside the box for safety. Even if you want to go up or DOWN Snowqualime Pass, just learn how to use your breaks without boiling the fluid ......

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Pete and Jeanne

Step up and THEN some !!!

Thanks all for the imput Y'all. Thats what so great about Keystone/trailer folk, there is always someone there. I spent many a sleepless night wondering how I was going to feel on the road with the new "Baby" Bullet and the old TV. Jeanne and I desided that a new TV was needed. If it were just us,what the heck..but the two grandbabies we have custody of are included in the mix...soooo...F150..pulls 9800lbs...now all we have to do is have the dealership step up and install the TBC as promised. Missed one weekend..working on another. See you guys over the campfire..and thanks again...Pete
Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Handysam

Wise choice Pete, you won't be sorry. Congrats. and hope you can get out and camp soon. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete and Jeanne View Post
Jeanne and I are about a minute and a half from a new 19FBPR
Melinda and I are seriously considering a 19FBPR. This would be our 7th RV and a downsize for us. We want smaller than we've had.

Have you been happy with your 19FBPR purchase?

Thanks!

Clark
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
desertjack

Nissan towing

I only joined the forum a couple days ago so I am late to the party but found this thread interesting. We had an 2006 Nissan Pathfinder that we used to tow a 1999 UltraLight Terry. It was only 3900 lb dry and the P F could tow up to 6600 lbs. I was not aware of the need to take into account all this weight rating stuff. We never loaded it up with too much heavy stuff as its only the 2 of us and we travel light. But after my Dad passed away and it was necessary to make a road from AZ to OH to help my brother clear out the folks home we decided to tow the Terry. It was a total trip of about 5000 miles. We even included a side trip to 7500 ft high Estes Pk CO. The P F had an independent rear axle which is not quite as strong for towing as the solid axle in the Frontier, but all in all the tirp went great. I hardly realized that the Terry was back there EXCEPT in the Rockies and even then the P F had more than enough oomph to get us around. Maybe ignorance is bliss or we were just plain lucky but all went really well . THe P F under regular driving --- I drive like my Grandad probably did--got about 20 mpg and on the big trip we consistently saw 12 mpg regardless of flat land, hilly land or even the Rockies. So I believe the Frontier can pull your 4000 + trailer BUT I don't know about all the extra stuff you might load it up with. Keep things within reason and you should be fine.
TOday we have a 2011 TItan which with its V 8 gets only 2.5 less mpg than the V 6 P F got. Today we purchased a 2011 Hideout 26 RLS so it will be interesting to see how the TItan does with it vs what we had with the lighter terry and the P F.
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote