Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
bmach

Did everyone but those of us from Massachusetts miss that the other driver was given warning. That should cover the op.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #22
hankaye

bmach, Howdy;

Yes we all (mostly), caught it. That has been the main gist of the ensuing
conversations. Different States, even Commonwealths, treat the issuance
or not of a citation differently, The choir has been chiming in with their
different views and generally surmising about the outcome for the "OP" and
whither or not it would have been better for him to have insisted that a
citation to have been issued. Happens here on the forum all the time.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

As hankaye said I think a "warning" is handled differently in different places. A warning doesn't generally imply guilt. A citation "cites" guilt. When I get a warning in TX the officer just says he's giving a warning, I don't have an option to disagree or see a judge therefore I can't be guilty, he writes it up, tells me it doesn't go on my record or anywhere else and I'm gone.

It seems to me a warning is used to show that the officer is on the job and doing his job. The warning then is issued if there is an infraction that may or may not have happened (not proveable beyond a shadow of a doubt) and/or was so marginal that it's not worth pursuing. When you have a vehicle that hits the guardrail, t-bones another vehicle (RV) and does the kind of damage the pics show due to driving too fast on a wet road (speed limit doesn't usually have to apply in that case - "for the conditions" can be used). I'm not sure how a "warning" is in order....unless in MA a warning is considered a guilty plea up front. Again, all states are different and I don't propose to know what a "warning" vs "citation" means in MA - I do know that an insurance company will exploit every nook and cranny if they think there is some legal loophole to get their client off the hook (and save them money), and a warning vs citation seems like one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

OK guys, I'm lost (Not unusual, I know) but the OP is from West Virginia, the accident occurred at the intersection of I 68 and I 79, just south west of Morgantown, WV. I can't see any reason why the laws of Massachusetts would have any influence on what the police officer did/didn't do inthis incident. The accident occurred at least 500 miles from Massachusetts legal influences. Am I missing something here?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #25
gearhead

When you get back to Fredericksburg you may want to visit The Sauer-Beckmann Farm

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/ly...k_history#farm

East of town on 290. We're overdue, it's been years.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
Ken / Claudia

Just because police arrive at a crash does not mean there was any report written. Here police only have to write a report if injuries, death, or arrest, ticket of someone due to the crash. If a police report is written all driver's will get a copy either at the scene or by mail. On the police report it will list the cause or causes of crash and if what or any action the police took. Just as vehicle #1 driver lost control and crashed into vehicle #2, warning issued to driver #1.
All drivers must fill out a crash form to the DMV if damage is over 2500 or injury or death. That's what the ins co. usually get because many crashes never have a police report.
A police common crash report here will take the officer an hour or 2 at the scene and 2 to 4 hours at the office. So, when you go to several each day and at times many more, not all will get or can have a police report written. When everyone has a driver's license and insurance and no injuries it is best to let the ins co. do their job and not tie up police services. Agents do phone police at times to ask questions but, the driver's statements and vehicle damage will almost always show a investigator what happened and why.
A written warning will go into the police data but, not to the courts or insurance. That can be good or bad. I just write a ticket or list the cause. Filling out a written warning takes as long as a ticket, might as well write a ticket.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #27
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
... The only problem with Texas, it's just too far from one side to the other. just kidding of course.
The sun has riz, the sun has set and here I is, in Texas yet

Texas is a big place, half the drive from Long Beach CA to Dallas is in Texas

Glad everyone is unhurt... "things" can be replaced.

Enjoy your holidays.

-Brian
Old 12-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #28
Movin' on

Here's an update. The insurance adjuster was here today. This is the first time I've had to go through this, so naturally I was expecting to be very disappointed.

Not at all! The adjuster was very courteous, listened to what we had to say, did the appraisal and called us later this evening. The Cougar is totaled, and they are giving us a little more for it than I expected.

The DW and I were cleaning out a few things left inside and both felt sad. It's like saying goodbye to a dear friend. I only hope that our next rig is as trouble free as this one has been, and our next one will definitely be a Keystone.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #29
hankaye

Movin' on, Howdy;

Good to hear that you are satisfied with the out-come and the adjuster
is of decent character.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #30
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
Here's an update. The insurance adjuster was here today. This is the first time I've had to go through this, so naturally I was expecting to be very disappointed.

Not at all! The adjuster was very courteous, listened to what we had to say, did the appraisal and called us later this evening. The Cougar is totaled, and they are giving us a little more for it than I expected.

The DW and I were cleaning out a few things left inside and both felt sad. It's like saying goodbye to a dear friend. I only hope that our next rig is as trouble free as this one has been, and our next one will definitely be a Keystone.

I just wanted to chime in and say good luck on the new up coming rig. NC is having a big RV show in Jan and Feb. If you want to walk around and kick some tires. They go all out for these shows. Me and DW are going to the one in Greensboro just to get away for a day. I've attached the link below.

http://northcarolinarvda.com/
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #31
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3/T4 Hybrid View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say good luck on the new up coming rig. NC is having a big RV show in Jan and Feb. If you want to walk around and kick some tires. They go all out for these shows. Me and DW are going to the one in Greensboro just to get away for a day. I've attached the link below.

http://northcarolinarvda.com/
Just wanted to say thanks for the info about the RV Show. Yesterday we brought home our new Montana HC 305RL, so we're good to go, and in fact we're going to get packed up and still spread our "snowbird wings" in a few days and head out. We're hoping things go a little better this time around.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #32
SAABDOCTOR

Nice Christmas present from the insurance company. Glad your all ok. Best of luck with the new rig when it comes.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #33
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for the info about the RV Show. Yesterday we brought home our new Montana HC 305RL, so we're good to go, and in fact we're going to get packed up and still spread our "snowbird wings" in a few days and head out. We're hoping things go a little better this time around.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Sweet!!!

Being an original Mountaineer myself from the coal fields area in the southern part of WV, best of luck on the upcoming trip and Merry Christmas too.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #34
bmach

I would think that no matter where you are from a warning will state what it was issued for. You do not just get a warning. It would be a warning for, speeding, following to closely or for what ever reason. It will be issued for a given reason and that should help the op better than if the cop did nothing. That is all I am saying. Have a nice Christmas!
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #35
denverpilot

Frankly with that much damage, I'm glad to hear they totaled it and handed you a check. Repairs of that magnitude never really are "quite right". Sounds like it worked out about the best way it could. Nobody hurt, check in hand to go shopping again, and everyone home safe that day.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #36
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Frankly with that much damage, I'm glad to hear they totaled it and handed you a check. Repairs of that magnitude never really are "quite right". Sounds like it worked out about the best way it could. Nobody hurt, check in hand to go shopping again, and everyone home safe that day.

The pictures didn't even do justice to the damage. No way it could be fixed, and it sure did work out for all parties. The other vehicle was totaled, but they were not hurt. The only problem is the check is not in hand yet. We've been going around and around with the ins. co. until they have really pushed us beyond our limit of "niceness" (to say the least). On our last conversation with a supervisor I think we made that clear. There is supposed to be a rep. from the company at our door Monday morning with the check. We'll see how that goes.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #37
hankaye

Movein' on, Howdy;

Probably just their way of keep in' the yearly pay-outs down by delaying
yours and most likely several others. So, they'll be starting a new quarter
and new tax year with your pay-out. Or some such financial and bookkeeping
shenanigans ... whatever plays out the best for them ...

hankaye

Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #38
Movin' on

It's over (I think)! The insurance company delivered the check today and the Cougar is theirs now. We're packed and ready to head out in the morning, which will be exactly 3 weeks since we started out before. Hope things go better this time.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #39
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
It's over (I think)! The insurance company delivered the check today and the Cougar is theirs now. We're packed and ready to head out in the morning, which will be exactly 3 weeks since we started out before. Hope things go better this time.
I hope you got out of WV before all of the snow fall today.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #40
dirt33

Movin On,

Glad to hear that everything worked out well on the insurance side of things, and sorry you had to go through all of this.

If you happen to be looking for an RV park to spend some time in after you are done in Fredricksburg, I would say that Buckhorn Resort in Kerrville is our favorite RV park of 25-30 visited so far. Perhaps you have already been there if you have visited that area previously. Anyway, just mentioning it as one option, I am sure you are well aware of others as well.

Have a great trip, and certainly let's hope things go much better this time around!
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote