Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
cjelliott81

What do you eat while camping?

We try to keep it pretty simple when camping - sticking with the standard camping fare of sandwiches, hamburgers and hotdogs, etc. That said sometimes we struggle with wanting to change it up a bit while still keeping to minimum clean up and ease of prep/cooking. What are you favorite camping recipes?
cjelliott81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Check out one of our social groups Kamp Kitchens . You may be surprised what some of us feast on when we are "roughing it". We like to use our slow cooker so when we return to camp dinner is waiting and easy clean up. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Steve S

Why don't you just cook the same as you do at home?
You have a complete kitchen in your TT so put it to some use
As for clean up you wash your dishes at home so wash them on the road as well
Old 11-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Why don't you just cook the same as you do at home?

You have a complete kitchen in your TT so put it to some use

As for clean up you wash your dishes at home so wash them on the road as well

We do, and there are some "camping" meals, like a Pork Fatty with breakfast burritos.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:08 AM   #5
Javi

We pretty much eat the same on the road as we do at home, although usually we spice it up a bit with "special" meals like Cajun shrimp boil or bone in ribeye on the grill.

I will be making a big pot of chili for the week between Christmas and New Years..
Old 11-20-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Pull Toy

There is only one major difference in our menu while camping. We tend to have a "Deluxe Breakfast" cooked in the great outdoors!. We enjoy the kind of meal we usually don't have time for at home during the work week.

Clean-up is no big deal, but we're not real big on "disposables". They just clutter the environment, and attract critters.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
slow

We too eat as we do at home, but have yet to use our oven which has become our bread box.

We are using this small slow cooker more often when camping. Very convenient when we have a busy day of sightseeing planned.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-cooker/69973
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 AM   #8
gtsum2

Cook and eat the same as at home. Exception might be big breakfasts cooked outside on the camp chef stove. Dinners include steak, burgers, chops over the fire, chicken fajitas on the flat top, etc. lunches usually sandwiches or something easy. I would smoke some ribs, butts, brisket etc like I do at home but the cookers r too big to take camping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
Murphsmom

We do much the same as the rest of you. Our breakfasts outdoors usually include sourdough pancakes to go with whatever meat/eggs, etc. We always take some sourdough start with us in the trailer.

We also do pizza on the grill when we are camping, which we don't tend to do at home. Just some naan bread with a garlic sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. Put it on the George Foreman until the cheese melts. Yummy!
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We do, and there are some "camping" meals, like a Pork Fatty with breakfast burritos.
Chuckster are you talking about bacon or is pork fatty something that I've never heard about
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Chuckster are you talking about bacon or is pork fatty something that I've never heard about
most likely a smoked (sometimes stuffed) pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean, etc), usually wrapped in bacon...thats how I used to do mine...chuckster??
Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
notanlines

Name:   Bacon turtle 1.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  12.0 KB
Here is a picture of the "turtle wieners" we tried a couple years ago when the grandgirls were with us. Take my word for it, they are not as easy as this picture depicts. The girls all had a big laugh and the couple next to us couldn't make out what they were.
Attached Images

2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
most likely a smoked (sometimes stuffed) pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean, etc), usually wrapped in bacon...thats how I used to do mine...chuckster??
I'm thinking that we need chuckster to post some pics!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Attachment 9713
Here is a picture of the "turtle wieners" we tried a couple years ago when the grandgirls were with us. Take my word for it, they are not as easy as this picture depicts. The girls all had a big laugh and the couple next to us couldn't make out what they were.
K that's a first for me to see and they look absolutely like something fun to eat!
Was this your idea or did you see it somewhere?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
BOWWOW

Well, now that marijuana is legal here in Colorado we eat things like twinkie dogs, pudding burgers and I would never. I'm just kidding folks.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

What do you eat while camping?

I use Jimmy dean sausage. Layer potatoes and veggies on it. Then roll it and wrap it in bacon lattice. Cook on BBQ wrapped in foil.

Been known to make them at home. I will post pics with step by step instructions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

We eat pretty much like we do at home except I try to cook outside as much as I can...plus, I eat much better breakfasts camping that when at home I love firing up the grill and cooking bacon, eggs and hash browns outside.

The slow cooker is very handy, we use the oven for pizza, meat loaf etc. Cover things appropriately to keep down the mess. Grill does ribs, steaks, burgers etc. etc. I carry a big pot for a cajun boil or whatever comes to mind.

Camping and cooking go together. Trying to live on sandwiches and some hot dogs just minimizes the experience. Apron on, knives out, grill fired, cook 'em up! and have lots of fun!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #18
GaryWT

Always get some interesting things in these posts. Chuck, thanks for the description as I had never heard of it. Also sourdough pancakes, always just have regular although a friend of mine use to use either heavy cream or kahlua as the liquid while making pancakes.

Over time things have changed. Without the kids we have gotten away from the big breakfast and now keep it simple with grilled English muffins or blueberry muffins etc. most all cooking is outside and for main meals we cook on the grill, over the fire, in the dutchoven or the stove. Shish kabobs are big with us as well as steak tips, BBQ chicken, smoked shoulder, ribs in the crock pot to name a few.

We try to keep it easy and use mostly paper goods so we don't have to wash too much.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:16 AM   #19
notanlines

Steve S, no, the idea was not mine. I saw the pictures on line somewhere and it just looked like something kids would get a hoot out of. With thanksgiving around the corner I will tell you something that was my idea. I partially pre-baked a Cornish game hen and then slid it into the turkey's larger cavity, and smoked/roasted the bird to completion. When I had all the family around (and the kids up front) I started to slice the bird and then used a spatula to slide out the game hen and said "Oh, look, she was going to have a baby!" I got a lot of laughs, groans and whatever until my daughter (who was about 28) said "Oh, Daddy, that's so sad...." She caught herself just then and turned red as a beet, but she has taken a verbal beating about it every holiday since.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

You talked about the "Cornish hen inside the turkey".... In south Louisiana there are a couple of meat markets/family sausage plants that produce a "TurDuckHen". It's composed of a boneless chicken, a boneless duck and a boneless turkey. The roasting hen is stuffed with a "well seasoned" rice/cornbread stuffing, placed inside the boneless duck cavity and that is placed inside the boneless turkey cavity. Seasoned with Cajun spices and either baked, roasted or <preferably> "fried to perfection". There is little that tastes as good, and, as with crawfish boils that just "seem to taste better" during the spring, TurDuckHen just tastes its best around the fall "hunting/Thanksgiving season"...

If you're ever in or around south Louisiana, a detour to the Hebert's (A-Bears) market in Maurice, Louisiana is a "tastebud paradise".....

But the "bestest I found" was from Teet's market in Ville Platte. They only make them during the week before Thanksgiving, the week before Christmas and by special order (about a week ahead). But, if you're "in the area" and want something special, they have everything from marinated frog legs to "Chaudin", a "delicacy" not for everyone, but ohhhh so good

Of course, "ya can't forget to mention" Bourque's Market in Port Barre. That's between Opelousas and Krotz Springs on Highway 190. Just double up your cholesterol medication before you get to the parking lot, even walking in the front door will increase your chances of plugging an artery!!!

With that said, boudin, smoked sausage and/or a pot of gumbo warmed by the fire are camping favorites for us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote