Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
Tbos

Hurricanes and stabilizer jacks?

First Hurricane headed this way since I bought the TT (Passport 238ML) last year. Normally I don't store it with the stabilizer jacks down. The thought is to reduce paths for bugs and rodents to enter. With Hurricane Joaquin headed this way, should I put the jacks down? There's a fence along the back of the storage lot and several different size trailers to one side. The other side has 2 open storage spots and then a BIG class A. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
jtyphoid

My approach with hurricanes here on the Tx gulf coast is to raise the jacks, hitch up, and head inland. It has worked to prevent damage every time :-)

Seriously though, I would guess that if the wind and gusts are strong enough to possible move or knock over your trailer, then they are probably strong enough to bend or tear off the stabilizer jacks.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Can't say I have much experience with hurricanes except for the ones built by Thor. Bad joke I know, but couldn't resist.
Putting the stab jacks down may help, but IMO the biggest risk is any side being open to the elements. If there is something on the sides, back and front they will take the brunt of the wind force before you do. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge than me in the subject will respond. In the mean time, take care of you and yours.... stuff can be replaced.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
GaryWT

The good news is I think it will go out to sea but if the winds are high enough the jacks will not do anything. If they do save it then your neighbors would probably blow over onto yours... like jtyphoid said, go camping inland.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
hankaye

Tbos, Howdy;

Can't hurt if you do crank'em down. Actually makes the footprint
larger and they do actually "Stabilize" the TT. I'd put a piece of 2X6 or8
under them as the ground will soften as it gets wet.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Tom, I have always stored our trailers with all stabilizers down and locked. As mentioned above, increasing the footprint can't hurt and taking the movement away from the landing gear is a plus too. We made it through Sandy without a scratch and many nor-easters before .... can't say for sure that the stabilizers helped as much as a few extra prayers, but why change something that has been working fine for years. JM2¢ and stay safe, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Having the stabilizers down would probably be a benefit to a point. Just know that they are pretty flimsy; I'm having my front ones replaced Monday because I bent them, and it wasn't hard. If you get some hard side winds pushing and swaying against them it sure might bend them. If it does it's abut $640 to have them replaced; they come as a complete unit only - both sides.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
SLIMSHADIE

Not having been thru this before and hopefully not in the future, I could see the jacks helping, bigger footprint as said earlier. But replacing a set of $600 jacks per set is kind of costly. I looked online and you can buy a set(4) of the screw type portable jacks from $20-$50. Finding locally shouldn't be a problem and cheap insurance...

Name:   stacker-jacks-4pack.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  8.4 KB
Old 10-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Your Passport has a "side profile" of about 200 square feet. That is a "bigger sail" than many 25' sailboats. Any significant wind is going to push against the side and probably move your trailer on its wheels. Blocking, or using the stabilizer jacks will help reduce the ability for the trailer to "roll with the wind" but no matter how much you "block/stabilize/secure" your RV, it's pretty much an exercise in futility if the trailer on either side, behind or in front of you is pushed into your rig. Damage doesn't necessarily come from your rig blowing into something. Something blowing into your rig will do just as much damage.

One thing I always did with our trailers when we lived in Louisiana, is to hitch it to the tow vehicle. That provided a 3 or 4 ton "weight" to help keep the trailer tongue from swinging around with the wind. We always stored our trailers at home, so there wasn't much danger from other trailers blowing into ours, but I saw it happen many times with trailers parked in storage yards.

If you can't evacuate with your trailer, at least put the jacks down, hitch up and use your tow vehicle as an anchor.

Good Luck, hurricanes aren't fun, no matter how many hurricane parties are being hosted to "help people through the blow"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Tbos

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be putting the
jacks down. Wish I could evacuate but work won't allow that. Probably won't hook up the truck. That would put it in the middle of the storage area and make it a target for all the stuff that is not secured properly. Hopefully the storm will move east and not cause us any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote