Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Maxzd

Time for new Truck Tires..

I'm at the point where it's time to get 6 new truck tires for my good old dodge ram dually. Factory tires currently are goodyear wranglers which the ones I have are a since discontinued series. I actually have two newer front tires (80+% Tread) on the truck in this series, but since they discontinued and I need 4 rear tires, I'm basically stuck. I could swap the two fronts to the inner rears and put four fresh on the outsides but I might as well just buck up and deal with it.

235/80/R17. What are you guys running out there for brand and series. What type of tread pattern and series have you guys found you're happy with. I don't do a ton of offroad but occassionally. Not looking for an aggressive tire but I'm not buying for a sports car! I have looked at Goodyear and Michelins so far.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Jim W

That's been a very heated debated on many Cummins and Dodge forums. I have also been looking at new tires for my 08, as they are reaching 40k+ miles on them. I have about 5/32" left and will replace them around 4/32" or 3/32" this spring.
I have been looking at Nitto Tires for my truck. Most users have rated them as above average tire. I have been looking at the Dura Grappler tire as one of my choices. This is a 40,000 mile tire and my out the door cost for Dura Grappler is $1,100.
Here is the link. http://nittotire.com/tireselector/

I am also looking at Michelin Tires. I am trying to decide between the LTX M/S2, E rated tire and the Dura Grappler which is also a E rated tire. The Michelin tire is a 70,000 mile tire. The biggest objection to the Michelin tire is cost. My out the door price for the Michelin tire is $1,300.
O ' well it is only money.
Here is the link for Michelin tires.
http://www.michelinman.com/?Wt.mc_id=Paid%20Search;Bing;{KeyWord}&WT.srch=1&u tm_source=Bing&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term={KeyWord}&u tm_campaign=PSNational
Good luck.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Handysam

After a long search for me, I went with Nitto Terra Graps. I have 20 inch wheels on my truck and I have read and heard good things about them. Not Cheap, but I did not want to skimp on my tires, too important.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
CWtheMan

My truck is on its third set of tires. The OE tires were Goodyear Wranglers with the standard all weather rib design and were replaced at close to 40K miles. Although there was a good deal of treads left on all tires they were worn to the point they would - sometimes - break out on wet roads and inclines while towing. I replaced them with Generals of a like tread design and with about 40K on them I replaced them for the same reasons. I have a little more than 20K miles on the current set of Goodyear Silent Armor (Pro Grade) tires. Because of the more aggressive tread design I was a little concerned about them being loud at highway speeds but they are not. Judging from their current wear and performance while towing I'm pretty sure they will exceed the mileage of our previous tires.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/wr...-silentarmor/#

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

I use my truck as much for going fishing as trailering and am often on gravel getting to smaller lakes. Friend who owns a tire shop recommended Yokohama Geolanders and I like them. Quieter than something like a BFG AT but still enough bite for the gravel roads.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
mhs4771

I'm with CW on the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Put a set on my previous 2005 and they still looked almost new when I traded trucks (tires had about 35k miles on them) Ordered the all season tires for the 2011 which were Michelins but still didn't have enough traction for getting a heavy rig out of a grassy site after a rain, so off they came and Silent Armors went on. Only had 2600 miles on the Michelins, but the Tire dealer will sell them for me. The Silent Armors have Kevlar belts in them that helps keep the noise down even with a very aggressive tread pattern and when you're driving a diesel dually everything is noisey anyway. They're not the cheapest tire going, but with all the money invested in a TV and 5er I want something I can depend on.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I'm with CW on the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Put a set on my previous 2005 and they still looked almost new when I traded trucks (tires had about 35k miles on them) Ordered the all season tires for the 2011 which were Michelins but still didn't have enough traction for getting a heavy rig out of a grassy site after a rain, so off they came and Silent Armors went on. Only had 2600 miles on the Michelins, but the Tire dealer will sell them for me. The Silent Armors have Kevlar belts in them that helps keep the noise down even with a very aggressive tread pattern and when you're driving a diesel dually everything is noisey anyway. They're not the cheapest tire going, but with all the money invested in a TV and 5er I want something I can depend on.
These may be a great tire, but you need to read the Signature of the poster. He has a Dodge and this truck has 17" tires because the disc brakes are larger on the Dodge. So Goodyear tires will not fit on this truck. See the attached info from Goodyear site.

Search Results: 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 SLT Quad Cab DRW 4-wheel drive Tire Size: LT235/80R17/E

No results found.

Jim W.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
kenn209

I just replaced all 4 on my 2006 Ram 2500, IT had the Michelin LTX A/S, Original OEM tires, truck has over 63k on it. Had to repalce due to a broken belt on one of the fronts. The rears were still in great condition. But did all 4. Good tread wear, not so good traction in wet grass etc.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
mhs4771

I beg to differ. 2011 GM dually has 17 inch tires, the same exact size as the OP. Go to the Goodyear site and you can look them up.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I beg to differ. 2011 GM dually has 17 inch tires, the same exact size as the OP. Go to the Goodyear site and you can look them up.
Right in my answer is the search results from Goodyear, I posted the results in my post above.
Jim W.