Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
michael_h

Which Air Bag

- OK guys I have an F150, I'm thinking of installing an air lift system to my Ecoboost . My trailer's dry weight is 4200 and loaded I'm probably running about 1000 pounds more. My guestimation on my tongue weight would be 600 pounds & another 150 in the truck bed. Not sure if I'll ever go with a larger TT as this small 19 foot box suits us pretty good, but if I did more than likely a new box would be in the 26 foot range and about 6000 unloaded with a 6/700 pound tongue.

With upgrade thoughts sometimes in the back of my mind would you go with the standard "Ride Control" Air Helper Spring Kit (Rear) of opt for the heavier duty "Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate" Air Helper Spring Kit (Rear)

We're preparing hopefully for a 5000 mile round trip early next year with our 19 Premier and I just want my stuff to be ready for the trip

Thanks in advance for your advice

Michael
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
jamesmc321

I had the airlift helper (1000#) on my Sierra and for the price difference I would probably go with the load lifter (5k#) next time.

The helper goes between the side frame and leafs spring (at least on mine) and I went through a couple bags due to not keeping up on the pressure and they would deflate and then rub the tire (ya it was cold out). With the lifter - they actually replace the factory bump stop (the new versions have a built in bump stop now) and they jack up under the frame versus next to it.

Either way, i am surprised that you would need them for either of those campers, do you have a WDH? That would be my first purchase for those trailers / truck

Good luck and have fun on your trip!
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
- OK guys I have an F150, I'm thinking of installing an air lift system to my Ecoboost . My trailer's dry weight is 4200 and loaded I'm probably running about 1000 pounds more. My guestimation on my tongue weight would be 600 pounds & another 150 in the truck bed. Not sure if I'll ever go with a larger TT as this small 19 foot box suits us pretty good, but if I did more than likely a new box would be in the 26 foot range and about 6000 unloaded with a 6/700 pound tongue.

With upgrade thoughts sometimes in the back of my mind would you go with the standard "Ride Control" Air Helper Spring Kit (Rear) of opt for the heavier duty "Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate" Air Helper Spring Kit (Rear)

We're preparing hopefully for a 5000 mile round trip early next year with our 19 Premier and I just want my stuff to be ready for the trip

Thanks in advance for your advice

Michael
Air bag suspensions are not the solution for towing issues with TT's. If your rig doesn't sit level, you'll first need to make sure the trailer is not overly nose heavy. 10 to 15% of the loaded weight is good. Then, a weight distribution hitch system is essential. It doesn't just lift the rear of the truck and nose of the trailer, but moves some of the weight forward to the front axle of the truck and backward to the trailer axles. The WD hitch won't control sway, that will require either a friction controller only in the case of lighter and shorter trailers like yours or a system like the Reese Dual Cam for any TT.

There are dozens of previous threads on the issue of weight distributing hitch systems, and more than a few on the air suspensions. I suggest you find them and read them. There are highly detailed explanations of these issues in those threads.

Note: Air lift suspensions can and do have great value for those that tow fifth wheel or goose neck. They level up the tow vehicle nicely which can prevent problems of clearance between the truck and trailer. They also help reduce chucking or hobby horsing which in turn reduces the chances of sudden steering problems due to the front end rapidly being unloaded. I have them on my truck and would not be without them. (I have the Firestones because they are the easiest for me to install.) But they do not control sway. Sway generally is not an issue for fivers and goose neck rigs because the connection point between the truck and trailer is over the rear axle.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
Brian T

Load Lifter 5000

We are running the load lifter 5000 and are very happy so far. We are using the Equalizer Hitch and have that all set correctly. The airbags just help to smooth out the ride especially when going over bumps.

2015 Chevy 2500 HD
2015 Laredo 320TG

Previous -
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
1984 Fleetwood Prowler
1995 Starcraft Tent Camper
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
michael_h

SteveC I do have a WDH that my neighbor and I set up in accordance with the directions making the trailer level and the truck bumper height normal. My trailer only suffers slightly on occasion any sway from passing trucks, compared to before adding the chained WDH (never swayed bad before but a difference is noted) . . . heavy cross winds is the only time it's really noticeable and I'm under the understanding that's kind of uncontrollable for anyone towing TT's

In my original post I did fail to mentioned that my truck suffers from porpoising across some of our longer bridge systems which besides being an added spring/shock helper is the main reasons I was thinking air bags. A friend added them to his and he said it doesn't eliminate it but really helped to dampen that road effect.
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
SteveC I do have a WDH that my neighbor and I set up in accordance with the directions making the trailer level and the truck bumper height normal. My trailer only suffers slightly on occasion any sway from passing trucks, compared to before adding the chained WDH (never swayed bad before but a difference is noted) . . . heavy cross winds is the only time it's really noticeable and I'm under the understanding that's kind of uncontrollable for anyone towing TT's

In my original post I did fail to mentioned that my truck suffers from porpoising across some of our longer bridge systems which besides being an added spring/shock helper is the main reasons I was thinking air bags. A friend added them to his and he said it doesn't eliminate it but really helped to dampen that road effect.

In that case, got for it. I get some porpoising too and the air bags so dampen that quite a bit. FWIW, I went with the Firestones because they are a lot more DIY friendly.

The Reese DC really helps with the cross winds and passing 18 wheelers.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote