Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
cardinal96ss

B&W Companion 3500 hitch, comments please

Our new tow vehicle is a 2013 Chevy 3500 with a B&W underbed gooseneck hitch. We have been towing our 36ft Montana using a Ranch Hand Gooseneck adaptor, but are considering going to a traditional 5th wheel hitch for ease of hookup and a better ride (less chucking). Also, I'm not getting younger and with the wide stance of the duelly, getting in and out of the bed to attach the gooseneck and chains is a problem. I am interested in experiences you folks have had with the B&W Companion. I would also consider adjusting it to a "behind the axle" setting to get a bit more clearance.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
X-Treme

I have the older model 3000 series, and I can honestly say, I wouldn't use ANY other hitch for as long as I own a 5th wheel. The empty bed is awesome. The ease of hooking and unhooking is awesome. The adjustability is awesome. I would imagine that the 3500 is even better!!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
skidooxman

I just installed the B&W Companion slider in my Chevy, and I am very happy with it. It rides great and its quiet and smooth.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
BOWWOW

I have the B&W with the Companion, and as mentioned it is the easiest 5ver hitch to hook to or unhook. Once you back into the jaws and close themselves all you do is put the pin in. When unhooking pull the pin and the handle releases very easy. You can have an empty bed in 5 minutes too. Don't forget to get a nylon lube plate, this makes it even quieter and smoother. No grease needed.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
vampress_me

We have had the B&W Companion in our current truck for a little over a year. And absolutely love it. It was in the truck all of last summer. In the fall after putting the camper to bed for the winter, loosened the one bolt, pulled the pin in the wheel well, and took it out. And got back my 8' bed for any hay, etc that needed hauling. This spring, put it back in just as easily.

A small thing I like about it is that with the side bed boards on our truck I can reach over the side of the bed to the handle and safety pin to hitch/ unhitch fairly easily even though I'm not that tall. One other hitch we looked at the handle worked differently and I couldn't have reached it as well.

And when our new truck gets here in a week or two I hope B&W can get me a new gooseneck portion for the 2016 F-350 soon since our Companion is staying with us and not getting traded in and we'd like to go camping again in August!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
tank45

I'll let you know Monday when I get back. This will be the first pull with the new truck and B&W 3600. I will tell you this though, even breaking it down into two pieces - that base is really heavy. I've installed and removed it by myself and it's a back breaker. I have since decided its a 2 person job from here on out.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
glenalt

I have one with the turn over ball in the Ram and have nothing but good things to say about the hitch. Wouldn't want anything else. No chucking or noise while towing..
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
old timer

I removed mine to this weekend and the base is a beast. Going to tow with it this next week. It's a first time for me, truck and camping in a Rv
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #9
inspecterbake

I have had the companion in my 03 now the 3600 in my 14 and they are the best hitches hands down and made in the USA.
inspecterbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #10
sptddog

Also love mine - what I find nicest is that I can SEE the jaws around the kingpin and it's reassuring to know that it's properly hooked up and secured. It's easy, it's easy to get out and in, and it's quiet.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
MontanaMike

+1 to what most people are writing. It's the best 5th wheel hitch I've ever owned.
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550X2
MontanaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #12
EricLynnAllison

I agree with all above, 4th season, 24000mi, 250 nights, lots of hookups. I too like you can see the jaws closed.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
We have had the B&W Companion in our current truck for a little over a year. And absolutely love it. It was in the truck all of last summer. In the fall after putting the camper to bed for the winter, loosened the one bolt, pulled the pin in the wheel well, and took it out. And got back my 8' bed for any hay, etc that needed hauling. This spring, put it back in just as easily.

A small thing I like about it is that with the side bed boards on our truck I can reach over the side of the bed to the handle and safety pin to hitch/ unhitch fairly easily even though I'm not that tall. One other hitch we looked at the handle worked differently and I couldn't have reached it as well.

And when our new truck gets here in a week or two I hope B&W can get me a new gooseneck portion for the 2016 F-350 soon since our Companion is staying with us and not getting traded in and we'd like to go camping again in August!
I think Ford has the gooseneck portion as an accessory, do they not? I know that in the 2011 model year, they even built their boxes around that hitch (had the "circle" for the gooseneck cutout molded right into the box).
Old 07-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
I think Ford has the gooseneck portion as an accessory, do they not? I know that in the 2011 model year, they even built their boxes around that hitch (had the "circle" for the gooseneck cutout molded right into the box).
I may be way off, but from my understanding, the prep is for Reese, or you can use the pucks for a version of the Companion. But since we already just bought the Companion 3500 last spring, wanted to keep using it and not buy a different one.

This is what I found in the brochure "Thanks to our 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package and Ford Custom Accessories 5th-Wheel and Gooseneck Hitch Kits by Reese,® your Super Duty can arrive ready to tow – right from the factory". I wanted the Turnoverball from B&W, so I guess I didn't even think to ask. And right now, it doesn't matter, the truck is built and waiting to ship out to us.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #15
hdxbonez

I am very pleased with the Turnover Ball and Companion on my Ram. Its an easy to use, well built, heavy duty, American made product. As others have said, its completely removable, the jaws are easily visible, and it is quiet. I did have a warranty issue that B&W covered under their lifetime warranty.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
DiverB

Love my B&W hitch, very easy to hook/unhook and it's a solid Amerian made hitch.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #17
rabreen

I chose the 20k non sliding companion in my 6.5' bed GMC 2500HD based on so many positive reviews. In fact, I have been unable to find a single negative thing written about the companion except for the price... They are pricey.

2x to vampress on the ease of hitching even on unlevel ground. Everything is solid about this American made hitch.

Installing the hitch (meaning putting the companion portion in the bed) is easy. Two pieces that a single person can move (much easier with two people but doable with one). Pull the pin handle on the drivers side, remove the turnover ball (if you had it in), drop the companion into the receiver, pop the pin back in and torque the single bolt on the companion base with a 3/4 socket to 60lbs. Then put the plate assembly on with two locking pins and you are ready to tow.

It is extremely well built. I will always have the B&W system. If your budget allows, I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:33 AM   #18
old timer

I got the turnover ball hitch for my F250 and installed it myself. Ok my wife helped me a little. LOL It was a challenge to get it in because of all the crap under the truck but I managed. I follow all the steps and bam I finely get it in. Took 2 days because it was hot out. I torque all the bolts even the hard to get to ones and there are some. I then get to the part where you install the handle and no hole on the driver side. the release part of the hitch is on the driver side made sure of that just no hole. I call B&W to let them know and they were sorry that that happened. They told me that i could take it back out and they would send me a new one. Crap after all this work just to take it back out again. I was hoping they would offer to let me take it to a dealer and have them remove it and install a new one. Not so fast grasshopper. Outside of the missing hole that I have to figure out how to get in there the hitch is very nice. I removed it myself including the base. I have only towed with it 5 miles and no clunking sound at all. Giving it a workout this week.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #19
Stew

This is my first experience with towing a fifth so I don't have anything to compare it to however, I love it. Got a Companion Slider and it's been awesome. Easy to hook up and rides great. Had to take it out once so far to use the truck bed and that's when I found out the installer hadn't put anti-seize on the part that goes down into the truck bed. It had only been on about 4 months but that was enough in the Florida weather. Took a bit of fighting and WD-40 to get it to release but it did. Now I put the anti-seize on myself every 6 months just to make sure that doesn't happen again.
2015 303RLS
[SIGPIC]
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #20
tank45

Ditto to most everything written above. Best hitch I've ever used.