Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Msgunz

Carbon 27 Towing Problems

We bought a 2015 carbon 27 TH, and we are having problems towing it. We started out with a ram 1500 and it swayed really bad. Upgraded the truck to a ram 2500 and still the same issues. We have have a blue ox sway pro hitch. I know you can have problems when you load it and distributing weight, but we can't even tow it empty. Been talking to the people at Blue ox, and they keep saying add more links, and all it's doing is picking the rear up and not helping at all. DW 6885 with 830 TW... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Msgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
GaryWT

Sometimes empty trailers do not tow well as there is not enough tongue weight. Load up the front of the trailer, hook up and be sure the wdh puts enough weight back on the front tires. Check the trucks owners Manuel to be sure you set it to their specs.

The other thing that can cause bad sway is if an axle is bent or one or both are not square. You might have to have them checked if nothing else works.

Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 AM   #3
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgunz View Post
We bought a 2015 carbon 27 TH, and we are having problems towing it.
Towed a 35' TT for 10 years with effectively no sway at all...even the big rigs passing me in the left lane did not budge the trailer. I used the Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control. The sway control is the bars pointing down at a angle and cup around the WD Bars. Noisy when you make a turn but well worth it on the freeway!

Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgunz View Post
We bought a 2015 carbon 27 TH, and we are having problems towing it. We started out with a ram 1500 and it swayed really bad. Upgraded the truck to a ram 2500 and still the same issues. We have have a blue ox sway pro hitch. I know you can have problems when you load it and distributing weight, but we can't even tow it empty. Been talking to the people at Blue ox, and they keep saying add more links, and all it's doing is picking the rear up and not helping at all. DW 6885 with 830 TW... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
You're using the "factory specs" for weight/tongue weight for that trailer. In actuality, by the time the dealer adds propane and battery/batteries to the tongue, you're probably over 900 pounds on the tongue weight. Dragging that much weight with a half ton truck is very dependent on what else you're carrying in the truck (passengers/cargo) as well as what you're adding in tongue weight. Many RAM 1500's have a payload of around 1200 pounds, so by the time you hitch up, put 2 people in the front seat and a couple of kids in the back, you're overloaded. That's before you add in the tool box, cooler, firewood that's in the truck bed.

There's another thread with a lighter trailer, same sway problems that's currently active. Check it out and compare to your problems. You may simply be "under-trucked" for that size RV. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22260

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
cblong

check to make sure you have a good pin weight then I would hook it up to a friends truck and see if the problems continue. You went and got a new 2500 so I think it may be a problem with the trailer bent axel or rims or something. Inspect to make sure nothing is obviously wrong then take it to a shop that specializes in axels they would be able to tell you in a few minutes if thats the problem.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
tirnanah

My 323BH pulls like crap without water in the fresh water tank adding to the tongue weight. I pulled it from my place to my father in laws to dump after sanitizing with a full water tank and probably about 1/3 in each grey and black tank. Pulled great going there, no sway, no movement, solid... emptied all of the tanks and blew out the lines (was still a little cold and didn't want to take any chances with lines freezing), pulled like crap on the way home. Not a huge amount of movement (still felt safe and was able to stop/control the trailer), but enough to be noticeable...
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote