Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
happy camper guy

2015 Montana Satellite Hookup Question

Our 2015 Montana has 3 coaxial connectors in the convenience center, 1 for cable (that is easy) dinning room satellite and bedroom satellite. Stay with me on this. :-)

We traded off our 2005 Montana that has only 1 coaxial connection, I would hook the satellite to it. Inside the entertainment center were two coaxial cable connections. All I had to do was patch the one satellite in to the Dish receiver and patch the TV out back to the second coaxial connection. We had the same signal on both TV's and that was OK. If I wanted cable or OTA I would just remove the two Dish receiver cables and put the little jumper cable on and cable signals or OTA to both TV's Are ya with me yet?

Fats forward to our 2015 Montana, I can get the satellite signal to the living room TV but not the bedroom?

Does anyone know how to do this on a 2014 or 2015? I have the schematics but they don't mean much to me.

Thank you!
happy camper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

welcome to the forum.

Since your convenience center has two separate inputs for satellite, you will have to hook up a coax to the bedroom satellite in the convenience center.

There will be two completely separate coax cables, one to the dining room and one to the bedroom. As for schematics... ain't no such animal my friend.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

Let me start with something you know, your old rig. Basically you had a single coaxial cable from you convenience center to the entertainment center then a separate cable from there to the bedroom supported by that patch cable.

NOW sounds like you have two satellite connections in the convenience center one going directly to the entertainment center and the other I assume directly to the bedroom. With out a cable going from the entertainment Center to the bedroom you will not be able to do what you did before. Its hard for me to believe they would have wired it like this.

You did not mention the number of coax connections in the entertainment center area? nor have said anything about the number of coax connections in the bedroom. Without additional information it is hard to tell what capabilities you may have?

You had mentioned you had schematics, I am sure they did not come from Keystone (do not exist). Did you have the dealer or someone else install any of this wiring and they provided you with the schematics??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
happy camper guy

I do have two sets of antenna wiring from Keystone, with their name on them and emailed to me, yes they do exist. And no the dealer did not do any wiring.
happy camper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
Road-King

My coax wireing.

This is a diagram of how my 2014 Alpine is wired. All runs are coax, except the hdmi from the sat box to the LR/tv. I added the A/B switch in the bedroom for convenience. None of the factory installed coax cables were labeled correctly and some not at all. Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150404_085950.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	8226  
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
Road-King

As you can see, I'm using 1 satellite box for the RV. If you want two use two, you would need a dedicated coax run from your BR/tv to the satellite antenna.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 04-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

ROAD-KING, your diagram less the A/B switch appears to me to be exactly what the OP had in his older rig. Although the OP never mentioned number coax connectors in the bedroom, not sure what he has but would guess like yours. I can see how yours works. Your two external coax connections and the layout are pretty much standard (satellite prep, Cable, Antenna, Booster. etc.)
OP is claiming he has three external coax connections?? At least for me without more information on at least on the number of coax connectors in each area (Bedroom and Entertainment Center) I cannot help any further.
If you would add another SAT IN on your diagram and run it directly to the Bedroom you have a possibility of what the OP has and would be a flexible wiring layout. Like you said, a separate run would need to be added for a second Sat receiver which would be one more coax connector in the bedroom making a total of three. Entertainment Center would also have three.
Again without more info from the OP I cannot be more specific without OP responding to my questions.
THANKS, your diagram should help others with similar questions about their coax layouts.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Road-King

Duh... In my defense I was still on my first cup of coffee when I posted that.

For one box operation, if the OP's antenna amp/switch box is in the LR/tv area, he could connect the aux satellite coax from the sat box and the catv coax to a A/B switch then to the amp/switch box "catv in". If the antenna amp/switch box is in the BR/tv area, he could do the same, but the sat box would be in the bedroom. I don't think I would like that.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I am sure we could come up with many combinations of how to do it by adding this and running that. I think the issue at least for me is understanding what the OP actually has to work with. If the OP does not get back to us with specifics I think there is enough in these posts that he/she could now figure it out. Weather getting a little better going out to the rig to see what I can get into

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)