Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #21
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Did DPS check you guys for trailer inspection stickers? Neither my truck nor trailer have inspection stickers on them - they haven't been required since 3/2015. Registration is now dependent upon inspection - IE, if it's got valid registration, it should be inspected.

DPS indicates that they want to see "proof of inspection" prior to taking the driving test, as they have no access to the electronic records.
It varies from place to place. They didn't check my stickers a year or so ago, before TX switched to the current system.

My DW and I went through the process about 4 months apart at the same DL office, and our experiences were different. The only constant for us was the actual driving test, which was about 20 minutes. However, other members have had more rigorous driving tests.

It makes it hard to prepare.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #22
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Here are some helpful hints:
1) Study Chapter 14 of the following: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/intern...orms/DL-7C.pdf (Commercial Rules section)

2) Call (in advance) to the location where you are planning on taking your written test. Tell them you are seeking "Non-Commercial Class-A and have an exempt Recreational Vehicle". If they ask how "big" it is, tell them over 26,000 lbs combined with the truck. They should indicate that you have to take the "commercial rules" test and only that test. If they indicate otherwise, refer them to https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/intern...orms/CDL-2.pdf which says the only written test that is required is "Commercial Rules".

3) If the still insist on give you alternate information or other tests, have them call Zach Winsier at DPS (512-424-2000 extension 86813).

4) IF you pass they test, the should issue your a Class-A learners permit.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote