Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
JimQ

Confused on Replacement Tires

I have been researching and reading a lot of information regarding tires. I am interested in replacing my factory installed tires on my 2011 Ford F 150 LXT 4WD Super Cab. The current tires are Perelli's P275/55 R20 111T. They are in need of replacement. Because of reading this forum and learning a ton, I want to purchase the correct tire for my situation, and feel secure knowing I have the correct tires on the road when I haul my 2015 Bullet 248RKS. (We hauled our Bullet last season with no issues on the Perelli tires but realize they probably aren't sufficient. I would like to buy the Michelin LTX M/S2 275/55 R20. These tires are recommended by many here on the forum. I was on Tirerack.com and asked if these tires have a load range of D and E available and was told no. One set of tires has the 111T in the description and the other set has 113T listed. Not sure what these numbers mean. I see many owners on the forum run these tires and was under the impression that they are available in these load ranges. My trailer weight is just under 5,000 empty. Are these tires sufficient for my needs? I utilize the 4 point Equilizer hitch also. Thank You Jim
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
bobbecky

The higher the number for the load index, (not the load range), the higher the weight capacity. You are wise to go to LT tires from passenger, P tires, as the passenger tires are not as durable for a truck, especially when towing or hauling heavy loads. Those low profile tires can be a problem with heavier loading, and on our truck when we purchased it, the dealer had installed aftermarket wheels with the low profile tires, had to disclose it to us, and I refused to make the purchase until the original tires/wheels were put back on it. The following link has a chart showing all the load index numbers and what the weights are. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
CWtheMan

When crunching load capacity numbers for Passenger (P) tires on your truck you have to derate them by about 10%. The way to do that is divide the load capacity by 1.1.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:20 AM   #4
JimQ

Thank You Bob and CW: I have decided to go with the Michelin LTX M/S2 275/55/R20 113H UT 720AA. I'll run what I have till spring, or July4th, which ever arrives first. Another foot of snow coming today. No where to put it. Just saying!!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Thank You Bob and CW: I have decided to go with the Michelin LTX M/S2 275/55/R20 113H UT 720AA. I'll run what I have till spring, or July4th, which ever arrives first. Another foot of snow coming today. No where to put it. Just saying!!
While you're still researching tires for your truck you may want to consider increasing the load capacity while still keeping the same sized tires.

The P275/55R20XL (extra load) tires are rated at 2833# and when derated for truck service provide 2575# of load capacity.

The LT275/55R20D (load range D) tires are rated at 2680# of load capacity and do not need any reduction in load capacity for truck service.

Those tires will provide more stability when hauling your trailer with the LT tire providing the most.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote