Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #21
Murphsmom

The beach--at the lake, at the river and at the ocean. If there is a beach, we will find it!
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
cabinfever

Mid April until Mid/late May we will be at one of our local campgrounds. Then from then until late August we will be in the driveway while they finish our house. That will be just in time for our annual summer week at Cook Forest, PA. Then just one more trip the beginning of Oct, back to Cook Forest. That is the only drawback to building a new home this year, actual camping trips takes a back seat.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #23
pawpaw

Gulf coast from Texas to Florida planned so far. I'm right in the middle so it's not too bad!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #24
michael_h

Mayberry (Mt Airy NC) wife won't let me take her back to WV (been exploring that state for the last 10 years) so maybe the Smokies
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #25
Desert185

Currently enjoying the 79F weather in Palm Springs. Too many people and stoplights, but visiting friends with this great weather compensates. New Yorks on the Weber Q tonight.

Thank you Passport America and Good Sam, BTW.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #26
mom2budnbug

We will be heading into the cascade mountains, the pacific coast, Mt. St. Helens and Rouge River. Most of our camping will be local in the cascade mountains or foothills.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #27
Ram189

Man I can't wait to get this year started.

Taking the usual trips to Richmond and Dover for Nascar races. Going to Watkins Glen for IMSA road race. Making a first time trip to Mid-Ohio for Indy car race. Going to try and get to the beach one weekend either Delaware or Va Beach. Then next year going back to Daytona for the 2016 24 hour race.

As you can see I am a race heavy traveler but we love and the road courses make for a unique experience with camping next to the track.

Here is to a safe and happy season to everyone.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #28
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post

Taking the usual trips to Richmond and Dover for Nascar races. Going to Watkins Glen for IMSA road race. Making a first time trip to Mid-Ohio for Indy car race. Going to try and get to the beach one weekend either Delaware or Va Beach. Then next year going back to Daytona for the 2016 24 hour race.

As you can see I am a race heavy traveler but we love and the road courses make for a unique experience with camping next to the track.

We are waiting for the kids to head off to college, then we plan to chase the dirt track late model scene around the south during the winter months, then head north for the summer racing season. I love NASCAR, but I'm a dirt track junkie. Do want to go to a race at Road America.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #29
koko

Has anyone heard of Slab City. Apparently it's a really bazaar place in California that was an old military base. I read that people will go there to camp in the winter. Just curious. Sounds fascinating but maybe a little scary.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Has anyone heard of Slab City. Apparently it's a really bazaar place in California that was an old military base. I read that people will go there to camp in the winter. Just curious. Sounds fascinating but maybe a little scary.
Slab City is real, and is in danger of being closed to all use by the State of California. It is an old WW2 USMC training facility that was closed after the war. Since then, everything has been either sold, stolen or "packed away" and all that's left is the concrete slabs from the buildings (the origin of the name: Slab City).

There is no infrastructure so people being what we are, have pretty much trashed the place. It's filled with old cars, trucks, tires, bags of trash and the worst part, people have, over the years, dumped their holding tanks on the ground or in shallow pits. So, it's not a "recreational area" nor is it a place to set up camp for the winter. We spent some time there in the 70's, in a pick up camper just exploring. Back then there was a lot of military memorabilia to be found with a metal detector. I'd guess that over the past 40 years, much of that has disappeared and in its place, trash has become the most common find.

There is a website: http://www.slabcity.org/default.asp

If you go, you shouldn't expect it to be like the "desert celebrations" you'd find around Quartzsite in January/February when the town becomes an RV mecca for thousands who "celebrate" the flea markets that spring up. That area is much better controlled and there's more "self imposed responsibility" that keeps Quartzsite clean and livable.

ADDED: There is an active gunnery range/bombing range just northeast of Slab City (Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range) that is "inactive" most of the year, but is still used for some strafing runs and as an emergency fuel dumping area for nearby military bases. If you do go to Slab City, don't venture too far off the "beaten path" unless you know where you are and what is nearby.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #31
64tbolt

Seems the vast majority of members stay in parks. Do any of you dry camp in Natl' forests or BLM land? In 16 yrs I have been in a park 3 times one of which was working out of town.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #32
Jlwright

Nearly all of my camping in the past has been in Corp of Engineers camp grounds. We have several within 50 miles from home. Between Bull Shoals Lake, Table Rock Lake, Beaver Lake, and Norfolk Lake we are very fortunate to have a great variety of camp grounds.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #33
64tbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
Nearly all of my camping in the past has been in Corp of Engineers camp grounds. We have several within 50 miles from home. Between Bull Shoals Lake, Table Rock Lake, Beaver Lake, and Norfolk Lake we are very fortunate to have a great variety of camp grounds.
Sounds like it. I guess the Midwest & east doesn't have the vast amount of land we have out west to dry camp & ride on due to the population. Staying in those parks would be a new experience for me.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #34
gearhead

Quote:

Where do you "camp" at Richmond? We're back in lot J this year. Sorta up front. We will do Bristol then on to Richmond. Also have tickets to USAC 4Crown at Eldora in September. Trying to "tie" something else to it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #35
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Where do you "camp" at Richmond? We're back in lot J this year. Sorta up front. We will do Bristol then on to Richmond. Also have tickets to USAC 4Crown at Eldora in September. Trying to "tie" something else to it.
We used to stay over at Azalea for years and years then this fall I moved back over to the backstretch parking lot, Lot F I think. We are in spot 136 or 137. Was nice and quiet in there. Azalea has really started to get wild.

We used to do Bristol every year for like 25 years and then when the economy got tight I let those tickets go. We stayed at the TwinCity DriveIn.

If you like Cup racing I would highly recommend a trip to The Glen. One of the prettiest places I have ever camped at a race track. It can get wild also but the back lot is huge and they have a shuttle that picks you right up at the end of the rows to take you all over the track.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #36
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tbolt View Post
Seems the vast majority of members stay in parks. Do any of you dry camp in Natl' forests or BLM land? In 16 yrs I have been in a park 3 times one of which was working out of town.
In the 20 or 25 years I have been camping I think I have been to 5 "parks". 2 of those were trips to Disney.

We go to a lot of Nascar races and it is parking in fields mostly with the genny and a full tank of water.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #37
gearhead

Quote:
We used to stay over at Azalea for years and years then this fall I moved back over to the backstretch parking lot, Lot F I think. We are in spot 136 or 137. Was nice and quiet in there. Azalea has really started to get wild.

We used to do Bristol every year for like 25 years and then when the economy got tight I let those tickets go. We stayed at the TwinCity DriveIn.

If you like Cup racing I would highly recommend a trip to The Glen. One of the prettiest places I have ever camped at a race track. It can get wild also but the back lot is huge and they have a shuttle that picks you right up at the end of the rows to take you all over the track.
Lot J in the north 40 was fairly tame. This year we got a spot closer to the tram pick up, so it's a shorter walk for the wife. We haven't done Bristol before. We have a spot there by the dragstrip...all asphalt. I haven't done a road race in ages, Houston Grand Prix I guess. I have looked at racing/camping at the Glen. Probably should check more schedules. Maybe I need a spreadsheet! I've got a scarce full hook-up RV spot reserved at Belleville KS. for USAC. Had it last year and cancelled. Most likely will go to the Texas NASCAR race in November. Like an idiot I gave up a front stretch (flagstand) ticket for the Chili Bowl I had had for years. What was I thinking. Now I have to get on the waiting list.
Wife likes NASCAR, I like open wheel dirt, but I will pay to watch neighbors race lawn mowers.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #38
koko

We camp in such a variety of places - lots of dry camping in the mountains, mostly KOAs when we're on a road trip with an occasional Cracker Barrel, state and national parks. It's the great thing about camping - there are so many possibilities.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote