Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #21
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I guess I'm different or something "how" the truck rides has never been a problem with me.. How it drives, how it pulls, and how it hauls.... Yep you bet... but how it rides... if I want a Cadillac ride I'll buy a Cadillac

As to how to find the right truck to pull a trailer... Well that's another kettle of fish 'cause all the truck and the trailer manufacturers and almost all the sales persons are pretty darn good at stretching the truth till it's tighter than a fiddle string.
The payload on my 3500 (per sticker) is 3750 for comparison.

My bad, I meant to quote gearhead

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
The payload on my 3500 (per sticker) is 3750 for comparison.

My bad, I meant to quote gearhead
Yeah, I'll give you a couple hundred pounds for the shortbed. But that is a great payload.
Believe me, if I could have found a Chevy at the time, I would have bought it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #23
gearhead

From Chevrolet.com. First link is the 2500. Next is 3500. I couldn't find anything for an optioned out LTZ. This is MAX payload for I assume a base model or LT. CC long bed.
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2..._long_box.html
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-3..._long_box.html
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
From Chevrolet.com. First link is the 2500. Next is 3500. I couldn't find anything for an optioned out LTZ. This is MAX payload for I assume a base model or LT. CC long bed.
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2..._long_box.html
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-3..._long_box.html
It's my understanding that the ratings listed on those websites is for the WT truck (base model) and that the LT, LTZ, Denali will all weigh more, reducing the payload. But I don't think the ratings as listed can be correct.

Apparently, using Chevy's ratings on that site, if you add the truck weight and the payload, it doesn't equal what they list as the GVW. Also, if you look at the GCWR, if you're towing a max weight fifth wheel, you can put no cargo or passengers in the truck: GCWR 24500, Fifth wheel 16900. That only leaves 7600 pounds. The truck EMPTY weight is listed at 7652, so the numbers just don't add up. (these numbers are with the 3.73 axle ratio). These are only a small sampling of the "inconsistencies" in the numbers that "just don't add up" in those charts.

I'd say that the information on those websites is an example of the discussions occurring in the thread, "Warning: Don't believe the salesman or the literature" located: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...light=salesman

The only "really accurate" way to determine the payload is to open the door and look at the numbers on the doorjamb.

Additionally, (Someone who has a current model Chevrolet truck might be able to verify this), I read on another camping forum today that there is a decal in the glove compartment that further restricts the cargo weight if a camper is a part of the payload. I don't know whether anyone has researched those limitations. Do they apply only to "slide in campers" or is any "camper" that puts weight on the bed included? It appears that the "glove compartment sticker" for the 3500 series that was used in that discussion, reduces the payload for campers to a maximum of 2900 pounds. I have not verified this (just read the discussion this afternoon), so if a member with a 2015 Chevy could check the glove compartment and let us know what it says? The discussion on that forum was that Chevrolet reduced the cargo allowance and included the passenger weight calculations as a part of payload ??? That sounds "different" to say the least and "questionable" given the common understanding of GVW minus vehicle weight equals allowable payload (no matter how it's used: passengers or cargo).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #25
Keywestparrothead

About that sticker in the door jamb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's my understanding that the ratings listed on those websites is for the WT truck (base model) and that the LT, LTZ, Denali will all weigh more, reducing the payload. But I don't think the ratings as listed can be correct.

Apparently, using Chevy's ratings on that site, if you add the truck weight and the payload, it doesn't equal what they list as the GVW. Also, if you look at the GCWR, if you're towing a max weight fifth wheel, you can put no cargo or passengers in the truck: GCWR 24500, Fifth wheel 16900. That only leaves 7600 pounds. The truck EMPTY weight is listed at 7652, so the numbers just don't add up. (these numbers are with the 3.73 axle ratio). These are only a small sampling of the "inconsistencies" in the numbers that "just don't add up" in those charts.

I'd say that the information on those websites is an example of the discussions occurring in the thread, "Warning: Don't believe the salesman or the literature" located: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...light=salesman

The only "really accurate" way to determine the payload is to open the door and look at the numbers on the doorjamb.

Additionally, (Someone who has a current model Chevrolet truck might be able to verify this), I read on another camping forum today that there is a decal in the glove compartment that further restricts the cargo weight if a camper is a part of the payload. I don't know whether anyone has researched those limitations. Do they apply only to "slide in campers" or is any "camper" that puts weight on the bed included? It appears that the "glove compartment sticker" for the 3500 series that was used in that discussion, reduces the payload for campers to a maximum of 2900 pounds. I have not verified this (just read the discussion this afternoon), so if a member with a 2015 Chevy could check the glove compartment and let us know what it says? The discussion on that forum was that Chevrolet reduced the cargo allowance and included the passenger weight calculations as a part of payload ??? That sounds "different" to say the least and "questionable" given the common understanding of GVW minus vehicle weight equals allowable payload (no matter how it's used: passengers or cargo).
JRTJH - As always, thank you for your help and support in this an many other issues that we post. However, I am confused when looking at my door jamb sticker, I show a front and rear GAWR but nowhere does it show my actual total weight (I CAT scaled it and with me, the hitch and 1/2 tank it was 9,780 lbs.) I see the 9,100 lb in the tag, but that is in the rear GAWR section. What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Sticker.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	7662  

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
JRTJH - As always, thank you for your help and support in this an many other issues that we post. However, I am confused when looking at my door jamb sticker, I show a front and rear GAWR but nowhere does it show my actual total weight (I CAT scaled it and with me, the hitch and 1/2 tank it was 9,780 lbs.) I see the 9,100 lb in the tag, but that is in the rear GAWR section. What am I missing?
Don't get a headache "banging your head". There should be two stickers on your doorjamb. One is the one you posted. The GVW is listed on the second line, just under "FORD MOTOR CO." It is listed as 6340KG (14000 lbs).

You say your truck with fuel/driver scales at 9780. Calculating your payload, it would be 14000 - 9780 = 4220 pounds. That would be "close" to the payload that should be listed on the YELLOW sticker on the doorjamb. That sticker has the front/rear tire inflation information. The top line of that sticker should read: "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx" and give a value in kilograms and pounds.

This value is listed with the vehicle EMPTY of cargo and FULL with fuel. There is a 150 pound allowance for the driver. So, your weight with 1/2 full fuel tank and you (depending on weight difference from 150 lbs) will be "close to that sticker weight". To my knowledge, the total vehicle weight is not listed on any Ford product. It's a matter of actually weighing it, or calculating it by subtracting the "payload" (yellow sticker weight) from the GVW (detailed vehicle sticker)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE INFLATION STICKER1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	7663  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #27
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't get a headache "banging your head". There should be two stickers on your doorjamb. One is the one you posted. The GVW is listed on the second line, just under "FORD MOTOR CO." It is listed as 6340KG (14000 lbs).

You say your truck with fuel/driver scales at 9780. Calculating your payload, it would be 14000 - 9780 = 4220 pounds. That would be "close" to the payload that should be listed on the YELLOW sticker on the doorjamb. That sticker has the front/rear tire inflation information. The top line of that sticker should read: "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx" and give a value in kilograms and pounds.

This value is listed with the vehicle EMPTY of cargo and FULL with fuel. There is a 150 pound allowance for the driver. So, your weight with 1/2 full fuel tank and you (depending on weight difference from 150 lbs) will be "close to that sticker weight". To my knowledge, the total vehicle weight is not listed on any Ford product. It's a matter of actually weighing it, or calculating it by subtracting the "payload" (yellow sticker weight) from the GVW (detailed vehicle sticker)...
Ahh. Ok, that makes sense now. Thank you for clarifying. My yellow stick shows 4,760 so i have a curb weigh of 9204, according to the Mfgr and DOT. Guess I need to go up my plates to 10k from 9k then :-)

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
Ahh. Ok, that makes sense now. Thank you for clarifying. My yellow stick shows 4,760 so i have a curb weigh of 9204, according to the Mfgr and DOT. Guess I need to go up my plates to 10k from 9k then :-)
Yes, if your yellow sticker shows 4760, then equipped as the truck "LEFT THE FACTORY" you had 4760 pounds of payload allowance. Keep in mind that anything the dealer added and things that you've added, paint protective finish, stain guard, etc from the dealer, and/or heavier floor mats, bed mat, tool box, map set in the glove compartment, GPS stuck on the windshield, tire gage in the door compartment, etc, all have to be deducted from the "original factory sticker" so when you got a weight at the CAT scale of 9780 with the hitch and you in the truck, you're probably very close to your actual weight "without you" in the truck. If you really want to get "accurate" then fill the fuel tank, load it as you would for a trip, then weigh it with NO passengers or driver. That will be your "starting point". Subtract weight for all the people, cargo, purses, coolers, anything you add to the bed, and subtract the "actual weight on the pin box and you'll have your truck weight as you're ready to travel.

Honestly, If I were you, I'd take everything out of the truck, get a weight with the fuel tank "close to empty" and see if you're under the 9000 lbs. If so, then keep that CAT slip for registration purposes. If I remember, Florida charges registration on vehicle weight, not on GVW, so if you can prove you weigh "under 9000", then there shouldn't be any problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS