Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Blueswede

outdoor tv question

On our Hideout there is a mount on the outside to put the tv on. I was under the impression that we could hook up the dvd player to it and watch a movie outside. I see now that there is no wiring harness that connects to the dvd player. This gives us only the option to watch regular tv and only use the tv speakers. We were led to believe that we could watch movies outside. And shame on me for not asking further on it. Anyone else have the same experience and any suggestions on a solution? Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

outdoor tv question

In order for the DVD to play, there has to be signal cables going from the player to the TV. If you look at the back of the main tv, you'll see the antenna coax and probably 3 RCA cables (yellow,red, and white ends). The 3 cables are the DVD signal, and only run from the player to the one tv.

There are solutions, but they involve some serious time and some potential serious modifications. For the price I would just get a portable player. Until you get into HIGHER priced RV's, one TV for watching movies seems to be the norm.

The Tiffen motor homes we carry have 3,4 or 5 TV's, and you can watch different things on each but there is an extensive network of HDMI cables and splitters allowing for DVD/blue ray on any TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Blueswede

Im thinking that I could run a second harness into the cabinet below the dvd player and along the underside of the trailer and then up to the tv mount.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

outdoor tv question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueswede View Post
Im thinking that I could run a second harness into the cabinet below the dvd player and along the underside of the trailer and then up to the tv mount.

That's one solution. You would need either Y connectors or an A/B box. Only issue I see is the need to weatherize the outside ends. I still think by the time you pay for long enough cables and such, a portable player would be cheaper.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

The Tiffen motor homes we carry have 3,4 or 5 TV's, and you can watch different things on each but there is an extensive network of HDMI cables and splitters allowing for DVD/blue ray on any TV.

3,4 or 5 TV's .... really? How many TV's does a family need ...or want? Just what we need - a separate TV for each family member so they can all watch different stuff at the same time. A family that watches TV "together" (but separately) stays together. Call it what you like .. by any other name it's..CRAZY!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Yup! And during a PDI I have to make sure each one will do all different functions...oh so boring.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Blueswede

Yes a portable dvd player is certainly a good solution but I would like to use the outdoor speakers.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
GaryWT

We had 4 tv's in our North Trail but since our Premier has the swival tv, we have 3 in this one. The dvd player is only hooked up to the swival tv but we also have a portable dvd player hooked up to it so we can us the tv speakers when it is turned to the bedroom. If we want to watch a movie outside we connect the dvd player to the outside tv or we have a projector and screen for fireside movies.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote