Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
SmittysRV

toilet problem

Hello, I have a 2011 Raptor 4014 LEV Velocity and have had an issue with our toilet. The first time we were dry camping in the desert and somehow while one of the kids flushed the toilet the water continued to flow (pump on). I didn't realize until I walked in there and there was water overflowing out of the toilet. I immediately shut off the pump and pulled the drain. Thank goodness it was day one and the water was clean (at least clear). This was last year and since then I always turn the pump off when Im not using toilet and am not I the trailer to monitor the issue.

Just last week we were camping at the river with full hook ups. You guessed it, it happened again I caught it early so only the bathroom floor got wet but I am tired of this being an issue. I thought about leaving the black talk valve open since we were hooked up to dump but didn't want it dry when someone went #2 and I noticed a stink probably coming from vent when the blk was left open. I ended up putting water in the fresh tank and using it as if we were dry camping and keeping the pump off again whenever I was out of trailer and the toilet was not in use. Such a hassle!!! I am going to install a in-line shut-off valve at the toilet (and not tell anyone) so I can actually relax and not have to worry about the Damn toilet overflowing when vacationing!!!

Has anyone ever had the same issue? Is there some kind of maintenance we are supposed to do on these toilets? This is a porcelain foot flush toilet with the water fill ports located up high near the top of the inside of the bowl. A friend that was there during the second occurrence put some Aquaphor up under the black rubber part while holding the peddle down (open gate). This seemed to help a lot but is there a certain type of lube that is required for this job? Thx

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Jim & DJ

Sorry you are having such a problem with the worst part of the RV. It sounds like the valve that the foot pedal operates has been damaged and in the open position. Just my guess but worth looking at.

Another Smith...........A Jim at that.
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Sorry you are having such a problem with the worst part of the RV. It sounds like the valve that the foot pedal operates has been damaged and in the open position. Just my guess but worth looking at.

Another Smith...........
I have not taken anything apart on the toilet yet. It functions fine except the white disk, door if that's what it is called (the thing that slides open and closed) tends to stick open when letting off the foot peddle. If you let off the peddle fast from the full open position it slams shut but that's not what we do normally. When the peddle is let up in a normal matter it (the wht disk / door) sticks partially open about half the time. It was super smooth for a few days after the Aquaphor deal my buddy did as a quick fix. I may try some marine grease or something and give it a try. Thx for the feedback!

Another Jim Smith... I am a jr so I go by JR...

Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Jager

Have you tried just spraying it with WD40?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Jim & DJ

Sorry, your first post talked about the toilet overflowing and you turned the water pump off to correct the problem. With the pump ON, if the foot pedal is NOT depressed and water still flows, IT IS most likely is the actuater (big word) valve. In regard to the dump valve, thats another subject..

Good luck...
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

To address the problem, first we need to understand how the flush mechanism in the Dometic 300 series toilet works.

There is a water valve on the back of the toilet, a spring actuated flush pedal attached to the valve and also attached to a curved "ball" that seals the toilet bowl to keep water in the bowl and to allow the water/contents to "flush" when the foot pedal is pressed. The spring on the foot pedal returns the pedal to "normal position" and also mechanically forces the "ball" back to the closed position. The water valve opens and closes in conjunction with the foot pedal.

So, if the spring loaded foot pedal is working properly, the water valve and the "ball" will also operate properly.

The only two problems would be either the "ball" isn't closing (which would also keep the water valve open) or the spring isn't pulling the mechanism back to the closed position.

Usually, the rubber seal around the "ball" is the culprit. As stated by SmittysRV, the "ball" isn't returning to the closed position. He goes on to state that lubricating the rubber seal caused the toilet to work properly for a while, then it again failed. I wouldn't think the spring assembly in the foot pedal is the issue based on this fact. So, the seal is most likely the problem.

Dometic has a procedure in the owner's manual concerning this problem. It states:

IF NEW TOILET DOES NOT HOLD WATER IN BOWL… Please follow the procedures below before attempting to replace the seal. 1. Hold flush ball in full open position by pressing on pedal. 2. Using finger, apply moderate downward pressure around edge of ball seal. 3. Close flush ball. 4. Keeping flush ball closed, pour one quart of hot tap water into toilet bowl. 5. Let water cool completely. 6. Check for leak. If leak still persists, flush ball seal should be replaced. Follow instructions provided with replacement seal kit.

I would try to "reform" the rubber seal and see if it will allow the "ball" to function properly. If not, then I would purchase a replacement seal and install it. The seal can be installed without removing or disassembling the toilet, so the only thing required is a new seal and a pair of rubber gloves.

If the hot water and/or a new seal don't fix the problem, then it's the spring on the foot pedal not exerting enough "return force" to close the "ball". That's probably not the issue and I'd think it's a "last resort" kind of repair.

DO NOT take the toilet apart at the base/bowl joint. It is not to be separated in the field and there are a number of warnings about not taking the toilet apart at that joint.

Here's the link to the toilet owner's manual: http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ation-Manuals/

Scroll down to "toilets" and select the first link.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Sorry, your first post talked about the toilet overflowing and you turned the water pump off to correct the problem. With the pump ON, if the foot pedal is NOT depressed and water still flows, IT IS most likely is the actuater (big word) valve. In regard to the dump valve, thats another subject..

Good luck...
Yes the first time it overflowed we were dry camping, using "fresh water tank" water and the "pump". When I saw the toilet over flowing I turned the pump off and that's when I noticed the toilet (whit disk / door) open. When I hit the flush peddle it closed. Some how it got stuck open in a possession where the water was still pumping / flowing to the point it completely filled the blk tank and just started to over flow the toilet. When the toilet is closed / foot peddle up, the water doesn't flow either way, pump on or utilizing supplied pressure water. The problem is definitely with either the peddle mechanism or the white disk / door catching and not completely closing and allowing the peddle to completely depress.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To address the problem, first we need to understand how the flush mechanism in the Dometic 300 series toilet works.

There is a water valve on the back of the toilet, a spring actuated flush pedal attached to the valve and also attached to a curved "ball" that seals the toilet bowl to keep water in the bowl and to allow the water/contents to "flush" when the foot pedal is pressed. The spring on the foot pedal returns the pedal to "normal position" and also mechanically forces the "ball" back to the closed position. The water valve opens and closes in conjunction with the foot pedal.

So, if the spring loaded foot pedal is working properly, the water valve and the "ball" will also operate properly.

The only two problems would be either the "ball" isn't closing (which would also keep the water valve open) or the spring isn't pulling the mechanism back to the closed position.

Usually, the rubber seal around the "ball" is the culprit. As stated by SmittysRV, the "ball" isn't returning to the closed position. He goes on to state that lubricating the rubber seal caused the toilet to work properly for a while, then it again failed. I wouldn't think the spring assembly in the foot pedal is the issue based on this fact. So, the seal is most likely the problem.

Dometic has a procedure in the owner's manual concerning this problem. It states:

IF NEW TOILET DOES NOT HOLD WATER IN BOWL… Please follow the procedures below before attempting to replace the seal. 1. Hold flush ball in full open position by pressing on pedal. 2. Using finger, apply moderate downward pressure around edge of ball seal. 3. Close flush ball. 4. Keeping flush ball closed, pour one quart of hot tap water into toilet bowl. 5. Let water cool completely. 6. Check for leak. If leak still persists, flush ball seal should be replaced. Follow instructions provided with replacement seal kit.

I would try to "reform" the rubber seal and see if it will allow the "ball" to function properly. If not, then I would purchase a replacement seal and install it. The seal can be installed without removing or disassembling the toilet, so the only thing required is a new seal and a pair of rubber gloves.

If the hot water and/or a new seal don't fix the problem, then it's the spring on the foot pedal not exerting enough "return force" to close the "ball". That's probably not the issue and I'd think it's a "last resort" kind of repair.

DO NOT take the toilet apart at the base/bowl joint. It is not to be separated in the field and there are a number of warnings about not taking the toilet apart at that joint.

Here's the link to the toilet owner's manual: http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ation-Manuals/

Scroll down to "toilets" and select the first link.
John, what can I say? Dang, you hit the Nail directly on the Head!!! It sure sounds more clear and easier to understand when the correct "terms" names of parts are used.

Found this in the manual...
4. Flush ball will not close
completely.
a. Too much friction between flush
ball and seal.
a. Clean and lubricate flush ball
and seal with silicone spray or
furniture polish.

Thank you!! I will be trying this in the next day or two when I can find a free couple of minutes......