Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
therink

Factory window seal question

Today, I performed a PDI for a friend that purchased a new (leftover) 2013 Cougar Big Country 321 RES TT. Beautiful trailer. One thing we found on the PDI that has me stumped is the factory seal method around every window. On my 2013 Sydney all of my window frames are sealed in place with butyl putty tape and the edges sealed with what appears to be urethane caulk and no visible gaps. The framing is tight to all surfaces. Every window frame on the 321 RES had a visible gap between the framework and the exterior walls. In some instances 1/16" wide. I found this to be odd and would consider this a future source for leaks. Needless to say there were about 10 other issues that I found so the dealer has a large punch list of items to repair before the new owner will take it off the lot.
The tech mentioned to me that he thought that maybe the frames were sealed with foam gasket material and that the gaps may be normal, but that he would check with Keystone. Can anyone tell me that has a 2013 or so High Country model if this is normal? I didn't take photos so hopefully my description will suffice.
Thanks, Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
Bob Landry

Putty has been the standard method of sealing on every trailer I have looked at and I would be highly suspicious of any window or door frame that did not have an apparent seal with the mating surface. That sounds like leaks and delamination waiting to happen.
When I pulled two of my access doors off to re-seal, I found almost no putty or any other sealant around them.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote