Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
f6bits

Range hood vent

There have been several threads here about the lack of an outside exhaust vent for the range hood. Following the tips from one of the links, I did the following:
1) Knocked out the rectangle from the back of the hood. This was the hardest part, as the metal is very flimsy. I bent it up a bit.
2) Marked the corners of that rectangle. Then did a much better job measuring from holes and corners and re-did my marks on the wall.
3) Drilled the four corners. On the inside, I used a utility knife and cut through the luan and foam. On the outside, I taped and drew the rectangle, then used a rotozip (spiral) bit on my Dremel to cut the filon. My dremel bit was useless after this.
3.5) Mounted outside vent with butyl tape, screws, and silicone.
4) Re-mounted the hood, then fabricated a three-sided duct from a "roll and hook" flattened 5" duct tube. This metal was very workable. I tapered the hood end since that hole was slightly smaller than the vent frame. I left the bottom side of the duct for last, then foil taped it all together, then sealed the old exhaust side vents in the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	4719   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	4720   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent3.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	4721   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent4.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	4722   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent6.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	4724  

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

Nice job Scott. Been thinking about doing that myself. You went above and beyond what manufacturers do. I had a water leak around the hood vent on a previous RV and when I took the hood down there was no duct work between the hood and outside vent. Just the hole. Consistent with today's work ethic. "If they don't see it, it don't matter."
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
B&T

Nice, I have to look into doing this
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Bob Landry

That's a good mod and easy to do by most folks. Some of us ran into the problem of Keystone seeing fit to put a window in the wall behind the stove that will block the installation of any kind of vent. That one requires a serious amount of sheet metal expertise.
I solved my vent problem by replacing the roof vent in front of the stove with a fantastic fan. This is one of the things that was overlooked on the walkthrough of this trailer, but not the next one.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Good looking work.

This 2012 Avalanche is the first RV I've ever had that did NOT have a stove range hood that vented to the outside. I was actually kinda surprised by the fact that it did not.

If ours didn't have a Fantastic fan in the kitchen, I would do exactly what you did.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Bluewater

I think we all need to demand a vent on all new units. Maybe then they will see how important they are to us all. Also as suggested it should be added to the check list.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
B&T

Got a questionnaire from Keystone a few months after buying our TT and I listed that as our #1 displeasing short-coming about the TT.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote